“Real Decline in Quality of Food”
Review of Jones Seafood

Jones Seafood
Ranked #39 of 60 Restaurants in Oak Island
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My family has been vacationing at Oak Island for 20 years, and it's been a tradition to have at least one big family meal at Jones Seafood during our stay. The food has always been okay, not great, but this year it seems to have taken a turn for the worse. I ordered the pork chops, and they were so thin and tasteless that I almost sent them back (and I have never sent a meal back at any restaurant in my life). I didn't even know they could cut pork chops that thin (about an eighth of an inch and that is not a joke). Rice pilaf is no longer a choice, apparently, and the vegetables were canned, cold, and also tasteless. My daughter said her flounder was also bland and overcooked (and she has loved the flounder in the past). I don't know if they are having trouble keeping a good cook, but my entire family felt that the meal was a disaster. We can no longer recommend this restaurant to anyone. Two stars are due to the hush puppies which were decent and a reasonable salad with chunks of real blue cheese in the dressing.

1  Thank QBzzz

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

This was a wonderful family restaurant. Great food, great price and wonderful service! Would go back again!!

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

My family has eaten here while on vacation for years and we LOVE it! Wait time is usually fairly short and the food is SOOOOOOOO good! I recommend the small seafood, though I always just ask for the fried shrimp and oysters instead of fish. My husband loves the scallops and my son, who doesn't like seafood, is a huge fan of the hamburger steak. The hush puppies are the best I have ever eaten! The only negative may be in the wait staff. They are often rushed and sometimes not as attentive as I would prefer, but still extremely polite and affable. The family members who run the restaurant are always happy to greet guests and attend to your needs with a smile. Jones' is LITERALLY my favorite seafood restaurant anywhere!

1  Thank MarcieWH
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My family stopped by this quaint family restaurant... billed as the area's oldest, and just a block off of the Atlantic Ocean. The place had a friendly buzz, lots of locals, and a brisk dinner business.

The hushpuppies came out early, and were hot and really good - a nice touch to start off a nice meal. The problem for us was what we perceived to be some frozen seafood. My wife's clams tasted frozen and commercial. My shrimp were acceptable... our flounder also did not have a fresh texture or taste - and the stuffed crab shell was just your average commercial offering. So far as the main course (our seafood), the consensus was that it was good, but not what we expected this close to the beach. For the sides, the cole slaw had a more vinegary taste than I like. The baked potato, on the other hand, was so hot it burnt my tongue... and the hushpuppies, again, were superb.

The decor was old, old, old... which had a "fish camp" feel. If the seafood had of been spectacular, that old vibe would have been a plus. As it was, the atmosphere was just so-so. The service was pretty good - no complaints on our waiter. The sweet tea was delicious.

Overall, my party's visit was about 50-50... meh. That's unfortunate because we were all expecting so much more. We would think about eating at Jones Seafood again, but it is not automatic that we would.

2  Thank Ed M
Reviewed 25 June 2014

So glad our Motel suggested this place. Our waitress was Very helpful/quick on her job.Wished i could remember her name???. I got the scallops...Best i have EVER had, and more than i could eat.Prices were half of Good'ole Myrtle Beach prices!!! The crowd is also half of Myrtle beach!!!! Thanks folks for a Great meal,prices,Southern charm!
And yes 3ed generation owner...Mr.Jones, You folfs keep up the Great work...I Will Be Back!!!