“Sewer Beware”
Review of Ocean Crest Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oak Island
Ocean Crest Motel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Oak Island
Charlotte NC
“Sewer Beware”
Reviewed 16 July 2007

My fiance and I booked this motel because it was oceanfront and the rooms looked ok on the website..............HOWEVER.......when we checked into the motel it went downhill FAST! They said that housekeeping had just finished and the room was ready so we went ahead up to our room. When we walked in the carpet was very wet and the room had a sewer smell to it and felt damp. I called the front desk to see if maybe they had shampooed the carpet and I was told NO. So someone came up and asked about the carpet and I told them it also had a smell and I was told that maybe someone before me had spilled something. WHEN YOU WALKED ACROSS THE CARPET BAREFOOT YOU HAD BLACK FEET!!!!!! Our rate was $150.00 a night and this is what I recieved. At no point did anyone try to make it better. The coffee pot had a molded coffee filter in it the next morning when I got up to fix coffee needless to say I ended up at the diner down the street. I can honestly say that I could have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Southport for the same price and Im sure ALOT cleaner and fresher smell.

• Liked — Ocean Front
  • Disliked — NOT IN ANY WAY CLEAN!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank fyreman660
ocmownr, Owner at Ocean Crest Motel, responded to this review, 18 October 2009
This customer advised us of the wet carpet after check-in but said it was not a problem. When I was notified the next morning, I personally went to the room to see what was wrong. She said the carpet was wet but it wasn't too bad. I offered to move them to another room so we could shampoo the carpet but she declined the offer to move and said it wasn't a problem as it was drying out. I then asked if there were any other problems and she said everything else was fine. They stayed two more nights without any other comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
MA
Reviewed 9 July 2007

My wife and I happened upon this motel while driving the Caroline coast and what a find. This is a great old style motel that is right on the water and priced great. Friendly staff, clean room and a balcony that overlooks the ocean. It is not in the same league as one of the high rise hotels a few miles down the coast but that's what makes it so special. If you don't need to stay at a "resort" check this place out.

• Liked — Price / Value
  • Disliked — Not enough rooms with king size bed - we had two doubles.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank BizTravelerMA
Cleveland NC
Reviewed 12 September 2006

Took a last minute and I do mean last minute trip to the beach. Love Oak Island but had never stayed at Ocean Crest til this time. I must say I think this is where we will be staying from now on. Owners were very friendly and accomadating. Even came to ask us if we enjoyed our stay before we left, how many do that? Very family oriented.

Stayed August 2006
4 Thank camp_robinson
Morganton, NC
Reviewed 19 June 2006

My husband & I stayed for a week, and we loved it . The room was very "quaint" & "beachy". The service was excellent. I have recommended this place to all my friends. The weekly rates can't be beat, & it is right on the ocean with the pier only a parking lot away. Very trusting & family oriented atmosphere. We do hope to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank Jeanna E
Gastonia, NC
Reviewed 31 May 2006

The hotel was clean and on the ocean. That's about all that was good. The walls are paper thin and we heard everything that went on in the adjoining rooms - when we had the air conditioning turned off, as we had to do because it was like sleeping with a running lawn mower. We left a day early just to get some sleep.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank AnonMom
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 20 October 2005

My stay was nothing but AWESOME. My grand daughter learned how to swim down there this past summer due to the help and kindness of the manager. He visited with what appeared to be long time visitors to his hotel, but treated first timers very nicely. I felt he was very accomodating, even going so far as to find me a thermometer my last night there because my grand daughter became sick, and late at night, hard to travel far with a sick one to go in search of anything.

I have booked not one week but two for next summer, which I am looking very much forward to. The entire staff was helpful and friendly, and the cleaning staff kept the towels coming and my bed neat.

The only thing I can agree with is that I do feel they could put microwaves in the rooms. However, from my experience, you can take a microwave down there with. As far as I am concerned the last thing I intend on doing is cooking the entire week, so a microwave is good. in addition, i am taking a steamer, grill and a crock pot in case i decide to cook. of course helps my parents live there and i can go borrow, but i think i am going to enjoy trading off a full service house for maid service, a pool and the pier right there.

I say go for it, try out this hotel and pass along your opinion.

PS: One good thing, if you stay for one week, you only pay for 5 nights, and stay for 7. I found them to be the most reasonable hotel down in that area for what you get. AND if a large family goes down, be sure to check out the townhouse they have. I guarantee it will be well worth the money~~~

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank NCBabe13
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 August 2005

we recently 7/29-8/05 stayed at the ocean crest motel in oak island nc. we stayed here last year and had a good experience. so we thought we come again this year. we rented an paid half in advance thinking we would be in the same type room we had last year (wrong) when we arrived we found the room to be like a cracker box. i went to the office and asked to be moved and was told it would be two nights before they could do this. i agreed and went back on sunday and found the manager there. i was informed that this room was a smoking room and to take it or leave it. also was told since we had requested a move our present room had already been rented. my other room was a non smoking room so(dah) would you not offer another non smoking room? the manager became very belligerent and insulting when i informed him i had to have a non smoking room as my wife had breathing problems. well we had no choice but to take the smoking room or leave and lose our money for the entire week. we went into the smoking room and had no problems.(a miracle). we found housekeeping this time to be much better than last year. but we will probably not return because of the insulting way we were treated by the manager. also we found that the desk clerks and the other workers there to be helpful and friendly not like the insulting and belligerent manager.none of these rooms to my knowledge have a microwave oven. come on these days a microwave oven is a necessity.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#3 of 3 in Ocean Isle Beach
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#2 of 5 in Southport

Been to Ocean Crest Motel? Share your experiences!