“Happy as a clam”

Islander Inn
Greenville, North Carolina
“Happy as a clam”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I just got back from three nights at the Islander Inn, and I had a wonderful time. I had a sprained ankle and wanted to find a room where I could get out on the beach easily but also sit on the balcony and enjoy the ocean. And that I could afford!
I had a ocean view queen on the top floor, and the view was great. I could see all the way up the beach and all the way down the beach, yet the balcony was private. I was a little worried because the aerial view showed a little parking area between the building and the beach, and that bothered me for about 10 minutes. It wasn't a perfect situation, but it didn't bother me that much.
The room was clean and nice. I had stayed at a Westin in Hilton Head once, and no, this was not as luxurious, but it had the superior view. At the Westin, I had a view of the fountain below my room and could not see the ocean because of all their palm trees. So I'd choose the Islander Inn over the Westin because I like to look at the beach and the ocean.
It was just glorious at dawn to be able to stumble half asleep out to the balcony and see the sun light everything up.
Because of my sprained ankle, I could walk up the steps, but walking down them hurt, so I used the elevator to go down, and it was clean and quick.
The free breakfast was inside next to the outdoor pool, and it had the standard microwavable foods including sausage biscuits, (not so good) oatmeal, peaches with a topping, as well as sweet rolls, bagels, muffins, coffee, tea, orange juice, apples, bananas and yogurt. It also had a couple of waffle makers, and the waffles were pretty good.
The beach was quiet and wide and beautiful. There's a pier up the beach but it's not too close. All in all, I was happy as a clam and would recommend the Islander Inn for someone who wants a nice oceanfront room.
Oh, one more thing. I'm a female traveling alone, and I felt very safe inside and outside of my room at the Islander Inn.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank b.v.
theIslanderInn, General Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so pleased that you have enjoyed your time at the Islander Inn and sincerely value customers such as yourself. Great to hear you enjoyed the wonderful view of our beach.Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our behalf. Your kind words about our property and staff are very much appreciated. Again, we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Ocean Isle Beach!
Islander Inn.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Elk Park, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We come every year and ONLY stay at Islander Inn. The first year we stayed we all came down with strep. Starting with our youngest, who was 2 at the time. My oldest came down with it and threw up, not making it to the bathroom. My husband went to ask for clean linens, explaining what happened. They immediately sent up housekeeping, who promptly took all the bedding and pillows out and replaced them. I asked them just to let me carry them down, I didn't want them to have to deal with it. They even did a small load of our personal laundry that was soiled and did it for us.

By the time three of us had it we had to end our trip early due to it. The staff was so so sweet. They made up a "to go" basket with little treats and frisbees for the boys. They felt so bad for our horrible trip, but their kindness was very touching.

Another year we were to stay at Myrtle Beach. We arrived at that hotel and there was NO WAY we were staying (we had booked online, it was a very deceiving website). My husband called Islander Inn and explained we needed a room, ANY room. They had all our information on file and were able to accommodate us immediately WITH A BEACH FRONT ROOM!!

NEVER will we EVER stay anywhere else. Ocean Isle is a perfect little beach town for families and ISLANDER INN is the PERFECT place to stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
theIslanderInn, Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us at the Islander Inn and sincerely value repeat customers such as yourself.We are happy to hear that your experience was a wonderful one.We thank you for writing such a detailed trip advisor so people may get a real good insight to our hotel and our staff. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our behalf. Your kind words about our property and staff are very much appreciated. Again, we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Ocean Isle and the Islander Inn.
Shallotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My daughter wanted to take a few girlfriends to stay at the beach, so i took 6 teenage girls to the Islander Inn. I thought the room was roomy, (even to add a blow up mattress on the floor), comfortable and worked perfect!

1 Thank Kristy M
theIslanderInn, Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
We greatly value guests such as yourselves and are very grateful that you took the time to write a review. We are extremely pleased to hear you had a" Awesome Weekend" at our wonderful Hotel and beach. Your kind words about the Islander Inn are very much appreciated. We do look forward to hopefully seeing you again soon!
Fort Belvoir, Virginia
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed at the Islander Inn to attend a beach wedding. The rooms are nicely appointed (i.e., comfortable bed, small table, and flat screen TV. Make no mistake- this isn't the Hilton. If you're looking for those amenities, keep heading south to Hilton Head Island. But if you're looking for an oceanfront room on a family beach that won't empty your wallet, the Islander Inn deserves a shot. Less room upgrades than its twin next door neighbor, Ocean Isle Inn, but still a solid value. The hotel is within a series of smaller buildings, which can initially be confusing to navigate.

Room Tip: Chose an oceanfront room if available. Parking in the immediate area is limited; park earlier in th...
2 Thank stevepilamb
theIslanderInn, Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with other travelers. Your kind words about our property are very much appreciated. We look forward to the opportunity to see you again on a future visit to the Islander Inn!
Warmest Regards Islander Inn.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We just happened on to this place while traveling. We were very pleased with everything from the room to the caring staff. It is now our favorite place. We travel with our two small dogs and the Islander was perfect for us.
Already booked our next stay!

Thank you Islander Inn for a much needed break!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JBright218
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Islander Inn. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our Inn. Very happy to hear you say that you really enjoyed the view of our wonderful beach. Your kind words about our property are very much appreciated. We very much look forward to seeing you and your 2 dogs again on a future stay!
Regards Islander Inn Staff.
Piedmont of NC
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This wasn't the 1st time I have stayed here, but it was the most disappointing. The room really didn't appear as clean as in the past. I could feel sand on the carpet. I NEVER heard a vacuum cleaner being used and I was near the housekeeping staff on many ocassions. The hallways were never cleaned the entire time we were there. There was a pile of sand outside our door when we arrived. I saw the carpet in the hallway that was stained very badly (that someone else mentioned).
I had made reservations months ago for a certain bldg (that we prefer) - requested the 1st fl. When we arrived only the 2nd floor was available. I had friends that were staying in the pet friendly bldg, and they are very religious about cleaning up after their dog. Not so for some people. One lady was continuously seen around the dumpster letting her dog poop and never cleaned up after it. She must have been the same lady that let her little dog poop on the side of the trail leading to the beach and didn't clean up after it. This same lady also was a chain smoker on the balconey, but we didn't want to be "tattle tales" We thought that maybe there needed to be laminated signs in the rooms on the walls that can be seen "Be responsible pet owners and clean up after your pets." There is a trail to the beach so you don't have to walk up and down extra steps and it's easier than walking those tall steps leading to the beach. It is also easier for someone caring chairs and stuff for spending time on the beach. Someone from Ohio kept parking their truck right in the way making it impossible to get to the trail. There needed to be signs or signs in cones for that area "NO PARKING."
Over the years I have highly rated The Islander Inn, but I will not be giving it my endorsement any longer. As soon as my friend can find another place that will allow dogs, we will be trying that out. As for the signs that say "No taking food out of this area" - I ignore it, because my friend will not leave her dog in the room because she doesn't want to leave it (several reasons, but 1 is being considerate to others - the dog will probably bark a lot if she isn't there, so the dog is always with her), so I get a danishes for our little group and eat in her room. Simple as that. I only take enough for that one breakfast each day. So if they can make up signs for this, they can make up the other signs also. I love the idea of a "Pet only" bldg, wish they had bldgs that didn't allow kids in them - not everyone enjoys the noise of a bunch of kids. We like to go in the off season so as not to experience kids, but too many kids are being home schooled and are they all year round. The Islander Inn use to have exceptionally wonderful staff in the lobby, but that to is changing. As another review said " I am not a habitual complainer but . . . . . ."

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Elygirl777
theIslanderInn, Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
We are unhappy to hear that your experience not as enjoyable as you would have liked. We can assure you that our housekeepers do use vacuum cleaners in both the rooms and the hallways, as I am sure you can appreciate sand will get on the carpets as we are right on the beach, that being said our housekeepers do their upmost to keep everything as clean as possible. We are a Non Smoking hotel and had we known about the person smoking on the balcony we would have dealt with it right away. In regards to our pet policy all our guests are responsible to pick up their pets poop in accordance with local laws. Also we are a very Family orientated Hotel and do encourage family's with their children. We were glad that you got to enjoy your balcony and the view of our wonderful beach.Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our behalf. Your words about our property and staff are very much appreciated. Again, we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Ocean Isle and the Islander Inn.
Muskoka Lakes, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Great ocean view & balcony overlooking the beach. We enjoyed our room king efficiency beach side. Older property but in good repair. Breakfast was good. We were disappointed with the amenities. Pool out side & in was very small and deck area not great for large family group. We were there with family for a wedding & there really was no area to accommodate us for get togethers except the beach. They were kind & let us use the breakfast room for a pizza party. The front desk staff were nice but phone calls came before those at the desk and we had to ask about their services. They were not very helpful & we had to go down to the desk to pick up extra bedding. They neglected to tell us about the elevator which would have helped with our luggage. This hotel is several buildings linked together and you had to walk up & go through several floors. Also the promised internet service was terrible unless you were close to main building.

Room Tip: Pay the extra & get room for the ocean view. If you want internet service stay in a building clo...
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Islander Inn.We are happy to hear you had a wonderful time here at the Islander Inn on the beach. Our staff take pride in being as helpful as possible and we sincerely regret that you had an issue in regards to having to come and get extra bedding it has been discussed with the front desk staff so as not to happen again. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our Inn. Your kind words about our property and staff are very much appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again on a future stay!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocean Isle Beach
Ocean Isle Inn
Ocean Isle Inn
#1 of 3 in Ocean Isle Beach
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Shallotte
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 3 in Shallotte
Holiday Inn Express N. Myrtle Beach-Little River

Been to Islander Inn? Share your experiences!