“Overcame problems”

Ocean Isle Inn
Lexington, Kentucky
“Overcame problems”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. This year was another story. We did enjoy it and they have an excellent staff that is friendly and professional, but some things are out of everybody's control. We booked out stay for August of 2014 in December of 2013. Ocean view with a balcony. We had that last year and loved it. We left home early to spend an extra day at the beach and got a room 1 island over in Sunset Beach. The evening we are standing outside our room at Sunset my phone rings, it Ocean Island Inn telling me our Ocean view room has a maintenance issue and we will be staying in a room with no balcony or Ocean view. We are VERY dissappointed. We stayed our week. It does take away from your stay when you don't have your balcony or your Ocean view. But to the Inn's credit they did comp our week. So overall the Ocean Island Inn is a great place we just had some bad luck.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Davjulstew
Oceanisleinn, Social Media Director at Ocean Isle Inn, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. As you mentioned, there was an unforeseen maintenance issue with your room which put it out of service for several days while necessary repairs were made. Our office staff had tried for several days prior to your arrival to get in touch with you via the online booking service you utilized. It was not until the day before you arrived that they finally put us in touch with you and we were able to explain the situation. Ideally, we would have loved to have gotten in touch with you much sooner. It was an unfortunate situation, but like you stated some things are out of everybody's control. The only options we had were either to cancel or reschedule you for a later date or to change you to a non-oceanfront room free of charge, which is what you chose to do. We truly do appreciate your understanding and willingness to work with us on this matter. We do realize not having the wonderful beachfront view was a disappointment to you and considering the circumstances of this situation we felt that comping your entire stay would, in some way, make up for it. Again, we do apologize for this situation but we were happy that you understood and still think of the Ocean Isle Inn as a great place to stay, with a friendly and professional staff. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Kind regards,

The Ocean Isle Inn Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This is a lovely hotel, and very, very reasonable! The rooms are clean, bright, all have a balcony for the beautiful ocean view. The beds offer a great night's sleep, and the staff is accommodating and kind. The pool is a great swim as well. While we were there, the wireless network was hit by lightning. The office staff let me use the lobby computer as long as I needed, and helped me transfer a file I needed to upload for a class. I highly recommend this hotel and would love to go back at any time!

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking time to share your comments about your recent stay at our property. We truly appreciate hearing your kind words and description of our rooms as being "clean and bright." Our housekeeping staff works tirelessly to assure that they are in tip top shape and we're glad you noticed! We're sorry about the WIFI not functioning while you were here. As you mentioned, we did suffer a lightning strike which knocked out the WIFI routers, but we were more than happy to allow you use of our lobby computer to complete your business. Again, we appreciate your kindness and we would love to have you back with us anytime.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We visited Ocean Isle Beach in July, 2014 and had a great time. It was our first time staying at Ocean Isle Inn and we definitely enjoyed our stay. Rooms are clean and comfortable. You can’t beat the easy beach access, ocean-side pool, and having the convenience of purchasing beach chairs/umbrella and having the set-up/take-down taken care of for a reasonable price. We liked being able to park our car under the building, although there are limited parking spaces. We also liked the fact that we were close enough to walk to the attractions, pier, miniature golf, beach shops, and ice cream shops. The small fridge in the room was helpful for storing drinks, lunchmeat, etc. for sandwiches to take to the beach. Only negatives were: (i) the breakfast area was very crowded, and the food selection is not that great (We opted instead to have breakfast one morning at the little café in the building where you go to get on the pier – Yum!); (ii) there is only one elevator which is in the middle of the buildings (we were in the second to last building on the end); (iii) there are limited places to hang up wet towels and suits in the bathroom, and (iv) there are no laundry facilities onsite if you need to do a load of laundry during your stay. All in all we were pleased with the accommodations at the Inn, the price is reasonable for an oceanfront stay, and the staff were friendly and helpful. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Oceanisleinn, Social Media Director at Ocean Isle Inn, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for sharing your kind words about your stay at our Inn. We're delighted that your first time with us was such an enjoyable experience and that you think of us as a "great place to stay" with "clean, comfortable rooms." As you mentioned, our central location on the island does make for easy access to the area shops and attractions and being oceanfront just makes it that much better! We're happy to read that you were pleased with your accommodations and thought the price was reasonable for an oceanfront room. We look forward to having you stay with us again during your next visit to Ocean Isle Beach.

West Branch, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have been coming here for at least 15 years. We always start are "pre" vacation here before renting a house for the week. The staff is always friendly and the cleaning staff is always willing to supply you with what you need . The grounds, pool, breakfast area are always clean and the breakfast is plenty to get you going in the morning "to the beach" :~) Looking forward to next year already.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for beach front. You won't be disappointed. Nothing like waking up and looki...

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking time to share you comments with us about your recent stay at our property. We truly appreciate hearing what our guests have to say. We're happy knowing that you always find our staff to be friendly and helpful and that our grounds, pools etc were clean. We're also glad that you found our free continental breakfast "plenty to get you going in the morning." Again, thank you so much for sharing your kind words with us. We truly do appreciate your patronage throughout the past 15 years and we look forward to having you back with us again for another 15 or more!

Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Awesome place for a vacation - the staff is friendly and accommodating; maintenance and housekeeping are also great. The rooms are clean, the ocean front rooms are wonderful (have a nice deck where you can sit and see the ocean), and the easy beach access cannot be beat. The rooms have a fridge and a microwave which is great since you can bring food to save money. The beds are soft and comfy although one of our beds (and the pillows) smelled like wet dog...the mattress smelled (I assume due to an inconsiderate previous guest) as the sheets and everything else was clean so not the fault of housekeeping. No problem though, we brought a sleeping bag and covered it up since we did not have any Febreeze.

The pool and indoor pool/hot tub were lovely and the hotel provides clean towels for guests. The hotdog vendor in the outdoor pool area was a lovely woman and total lifesaver when we were hanging out on the beach...we bought 6 hotdogs (chips and drinks) for lunch and we back to playing on the beach in under 15 minutes with little to no interruption of the everyone's relaxation. The attractions, pier, and restaurants were all within easy walking distance of the hotel. The staff even walks through all floors and the parking area at night to keep an eye on guests which was very comforting. The hotel is kid-friendly and they were all very kind to my very excited 5-year old.

The beach is fantastic and we enjoyed every minute of our vacation. The beach was not crowded at all and we had no trouble finding an open space for all of us to run and play together. The lady cleaning our room was very kind and understanding if we happened to get a late start to the day. We just let her know and she made sure to come by later and check. The parking can be odd since you park in the gravel lot which is an open area under the actual hotel (up on stilts to prevent flooding I assume) and people are not always totally in the assigned space but since there were a few open spaces it was not a problem.

The only thing that was a bit strange was my husband decided to walk out to the pier after dark one night to fish for a few hours, my son and I were tired so we went to bed, the air conditioner is kind of loud (but white noise so easy to block out) but I did hear some scuffles in the hallway (and broken glass) so I locked the deadbolt and sent a text message to my husband to call me and let me know when he returned so I could get up and let him in the room. I did check the hallway and did not see anything so not totally sure I wasn't hearing someone's movie but better safe than sorry when in charge of a youngster. I kept my phone by the bed with me as I am a light sleeper and went to sleep. I got a rather rude and sarcastic call from the "front desk" later on the hotel phone telling me to open the door for my husband...I got up but he was not at the door. My husband called me a few minutes later when he arrived back at the room. He was confused as I was about the call but said one of the pranksters might have been calling our room. It did not happen again so I let it go but that was weird.

Overall fantastic stay and we will return! :-)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Oceanisleinn, Social Media Director at Ocean Isle Inn, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for sharing your comments about your recent stay at our Inn. We always appreciate hearing what our customers have to say. We are pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful time vacationing at our beach. It was also my pleasure to get to meet you and your family upon check in. Your son was truly adorable and indeed, full of energy. I also had many conversations with your husband over the course of your stay and enjoyed getting to know him. In fact, it was me that called on his behalf the night you had the deadbolt to your room engaged. I am truly sorry for having to wake you, but please know that I didn't mean to sound sarcastic or rude. I just wanted you to know that he was on his way to your room. My apologies.

I'm happy to read that you found our grounds and rooms to be clean and well maintained. Our entire staff works diligently to make sure everything is in tip top shape. I will be sure to relay your comments about the ''wet dog smell'' you mentioned. This is puzzling, as we do not allow pets in any of our rooms, but we're glad that you brought it to our attention so that we can have a chance to remedy it.

We are so glad that you were able to enjoy "every minute of your vacation" and had such a "fantastic stay." We would certainly love to have you stay with us again during your next visit to Ocean Isle Beach.

Strasburg, Ohio
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights. Clean, comfortable rooms, friendly staff! The free continental breakfast was very good-plenty to choose from. The oceanfront balcony view was awesome! Ocean isle beach was very clean and uncrowded-great for families! Loved every minute of it and definitely would visit again!!!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time to share you comments with us about your recent stay. We're happy reading that you found our Inn to be an "awesome place to stay." Your kind words are truly appreciated. Our entire staff works diligently to make sure things are as they should be. I will be sure to share your sentiments with them. We look forward to having you stay with us again during your next visit to Ocean Isle Beach.

Fort Mill, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My family and I spent 4 days at Ocean Isle Inn. We typcially spend 7-10 days, but given new job situations, we only had time for a quick get away. The location was fantastic - close to the pier/arcade, putt-putt, and ocean front access. The WI-FI was spotty, and didn't work most of the time. The breakfast was so-so. I would liked to have seen fresh fruit for breakfast. We had an oceanfront room, which did have air conditioning. The rooms were clean, but could have been better. It appears the floors hadn't been mopped in a while. There was also considerable deferred maintenance in the rooms and around the property, but nothing too bad. The housekeeping staff was responsive and courteous and did a pretty good job. The indoor and outdoor pools were fine. This is a great place to stay for a quick get away or a weekend, but my family and I will not be staying here for any prolonged period of time. Since we have a kid, we need the flexibility of fixing meals in a kitchen, which this property does not have. Our stay wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

1 Thank Carrie H
Oceanisleinn, Social Media Director at Ocean Isle Inn, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at our Inn. We always appreciate hearing what our guests have to say. We are pleased to hear that our found our rooms clean and our staff responsive and courteous. Our entire staff strives to provide a pleasant and relaxing atmosphere for all of our guests. We do apologize for any issues you encountered with our free WIFI. Although we have just upgraded our WIFI system, we are still working with our carrier to find ways we can continually improve the service. I can certainly understand your desire to have a kitchen in the room for which to prepare meals. Unfortunately, none of our rooms are equipped with stoves, although they do have a small fridge and microwave. Again, we do appreciate hearing from you and we hope to have to with us again for another quick getaway to the beach.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocean Isle Beach
Islander Inn
Islander Inn
#3 of 3 in Ocean Isle Beach
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Shallotte
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
#2 of 3 in Shallotte
Days Inn Shallotte
Days Inn Shallotte
#1 of 3 in Shallotte

Been to Ocean Isle Inn? Share your experiences!