“Nice but probably won't go back.”
Review of Ocean Isle Inn

Ocean Isle Inn
Elk Grove village, IL
“Nice but probably won't go back.”
Reviewed 18 July 2009

We arrived at Ocean Isle Inn and were happy to be checked in early- in July! The stone parking lot is under the units- so wear your shoes if you walk that way to the beach. The room was tiled- I know tile would last longer then carpet with all the sand that is brought in but with me with a broken foot, I was worried about slipping on the tile. (There was a small area rug by the bed.) It seemed to me that when I got out of the shower, and walked across the room to get something, my feet always felt sandy. This is the first place out of 10 hotels/ condo's we have stayed at that didn't have carpet. We had a sound view room and were disappointed to see that there were no balcony's. We wondered where we were supposed to hang up our wet suits and towels. There was very little clothing storage- seeing that we were staying a week. The dresser was tiny- my husband called it a doll dresser. My son was able to get his clothes in the dresser, my husband lived out of a suitcase, and I hung my clothes up. The lack of storage would be fine for a couple of days stay but, after staying at 9 other places, we were accustomed to having plenty of clothes storage. The room has a mini refridgerator. The freezer never got cold enough to freeze anything and I couldn't find a temperature button on it. There was no kitchen in the room but had a bar type countertop. My parents stayed here also and there room had no counter space. Ask if you need that! The breakfast was awesome! Better then anywhere we have ever stayed. (I am comparing the fact that we have spent 23 nights in hotels in the past year.) The beach was beautiful and large- the deepest beach we have ever seen. The beach is not lifeguarded which was scarry since my husband and son saw a 5-6 foot shark 2 foot away from them. We are always in the ocean and don't worry particularily about sharks but did stop to think what would have happened if someone had gotten bitten. The outdoor pool was freezing! I got in and got out. The indoor pool was a little warmer. The hottub was wonderful! This is a beautiful community- no small beach shacks here. The room was clean and the maid came promptly when we put the sign out. We had a good time but I thought you should know the exact pro's and con's before coming here. Whether you like it will probably depend on what you are expecting, where you have been before, and how long you stay. We prefer Ocean Isle Beach to Myrtle Beach or North Myrtle Beach- not so much traffic and a much wider beach. Also, it faces south and not east so you don't have the sun in your eyes when you look out at the beach in the morning.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Oceanisleinn, Manager at Ocean Isle Inn, responded to this review, 30 July 2009
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your comments about our hotel. Even though all of them were not positive, I rather know what the issues were instead of never hearing about them. I realize you prefer carpet in rooms. We decided years ago to tile are rooms due to that carpeting on the beach tends to stay moist causing a musty odor to rooms. I understand that not everybody likes the tile but the pros have out weighed the cons especially to our guest satisfaction. The Oceanfront rooms do have a balcony which people do use to dry their beach and pool towels. The sound view rooms do not have balconies which can present a problem for those who want to hang their towels to dry. We are coming up with solutions for this situation and hope to have something in place soon for those guests staying in our sound view rooms.

You also mentioned that there was not enough storage space for clothes. It seems like you do a lot of traveling and are in need of ample drawer and closet space. Since you like Ocean Isle Beach and are probably going to return I would like to suggest that you might be more comfortable in one of our vacation rental properties made available by our parent company Sloane Realty. They have the largest inventory of properties on Ocean Isle Beach. You can rent a one bedroom condo to a multiple bedroom house. A large majority of the units are ocean view.
The Ocean Isle Inn may not be the right fit for you regarding your needs for accommodations, but we still want you to come back and enjoy Ocean Isle Beach. I also thank you for the positive comments you made about are Inn. Our priority is make sure our visitors to our island have a stay that exceeds their expectations. If we can ever be of assistance to you in finding a place for you please do not hesitate to contact us.
Again thank you for your comments. we are always striving to improve and the only way to do that is to hear what your guests think.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
NC
Reviewed 20 June 2009

We stayed at the Ocean Isle Inn for three nights. Let me tell you, it was fabulous! Peaceful, family-friendly, clean, beautiful, we had a wonderful time and the staff was really friendly and helpful! I like the tile floors in the rooms, which really cut out the mildewy smell with beach carpet. The extended continental breakfast was the perfect start to our day, with waffles, bagels, fruit, you name it! There is a microwave and a refrigerator in the room, so you can save restaurant leftovers or store your own food. You can also bring a small grill and cook on the grassy area.

I love that the pool starts at 2 feet deep, my three-year old was ecstatic that she could swim without her life preserver! The beach in front of the hotel was pristine, and not too crowded.

It's been a while since we have taken a vacation purely with my husband, me and the girls, and it was a sweet time of bonding for us. The kids were happy the whole time, and we were so relaxed!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
knoxville, TN
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I stayed for 6 days at the Inn from the 31st to 5th of June. I cannot say enough good things about this Inn. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The Inn is clean and well appointed. The pools are wonderful and you are only steps away from the quietest part of the Beach and nearby pier. You cannot go wrong staying here. The only thing missing was a DVD player but then who needs to watch movies when there is a beach waiting on you!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
myrtle beach
Reviewed 18 May 2009

When I checked in to this beautiful hotel I was amazed by how clean this property is.
The staff is so nice and hospitable. You will have a nice little continental breakfast
which is complimentary, you also have a coffee pot and a mini frig in the well appointed
and extremely comfortable room. There is an indoor pool which is warm to the touch,
and a hot tub that is actually hot! What a welcome surprise. The outside pool is so lovely and inviting with the indigenous Palm Trees and natural floral which covers the borders of this hotel. I have to travel with my job all the time. It is so rare you can find a place like Ocean Isle Inn which is away from everything and just a couple minutes to good restaurants and nightlife.My grandchildren loved the hotel and did not want to leave ,nether did I. I will return everytime I have the opportunity.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
NC mountains
Reviewed 8 May 2009

I am so excited to be returning to the Ocean Isle Inn after 2 summers absence. I am usually there every summer, at least 1-2 times! The rooms are pleasant, the beach is amazing, and staff pleasant & helpful. It feels like home, without the stress... kids LOVE the pool & hot tubs... I love the sailboat rides and the beach chair service. I always feel like a queen there :)

• Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
nc
Reviewed 7 May 2009

The inn was easy to find. Check-in was smooth and easy with really friendly staff. The rooms have a great tropical feel with an amazing view ocean and access to the beach. I was looking for a place to bring the family for a vacation and I don't have to look any further we're coming back to the Ocean Isle Inn!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
goldsboro, nc
Reviewed 5 May 2009

I was very happy with this hotel. The rooms were nice and the service was excellent. The continental breakfast was very good. This is a peaceful location with great views of the ocean. Also had a great meal at a local restaurant.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Shallotte
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,182 reviews
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 3 in Shallotte

Been to Ocean Isle Inn? Share your experiences!