“Terrible experience!”

The Winds Resort Beach Club
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed here during the oyster festival. Reserved for several nights, but could only stand to stay in the room for one night. That was after purchasing room deodorizers and placing them throughout the room. The smell took my breath. Went to office and complained and they could offer no solution. There were two large humidifiers in the room that sounded like large airplanes.
An employee said that they had trouble with mildew many times. I usually don't complain, but this room should not have been rented to anyone! Will not return

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank cif777
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear cif777,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your stay with us last October.
I am sorry that you were unhappy with your room. As you may have gleaned from reading my replies, I have only recently joined the team here at The Winds and can truly only speak to the property and staff now. Our new Executive Housekeeper is working with our Maintenance Department to make certain all rooms and equipment are in peak condition. If a guest has a problem, our Guest Services Department makes every effort to rectify it.
In your situation, it sounds as if a room move may have been in order. It is, however, generally unnecessary to keep a dehumidifier running when the air conditioner is turned on; although it does supplement the moisture control of an air conditioner.
While many guests love the briny smells of the ocean breezes and leave their windows open to them, we supply dehumidifiers in guest rooms expressly because other guests are unaccustomed to the high humidity that is a natural part of beachfront living.
I hope you have the opportunity to come to the 34th Annual Oyster Festival this October 18th & 19th here on Ocean Isle Beach.
Once again, thank you for your stay and your feedback.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Shockingly over priced for the standard of the room, we stayed 1 night in a suit, overall the room was clean enough but the most dated and run down room I've ever stayed in and also the most expensive, the air conditioner unit sounded like a jet engine so we couldn't have it turned on. Half of what we paid for one night would still have been generous! I've worked in hotel management for many years and feel like a review should be helpful and descriptive and so on a positive note they have free parking and breakfast is included which was just ok ( terrible coffee ) but paper plates and plastic cutlery was a first for me! The pool looked nice and they do provide pool towels.
Bed was comfortable and linens and towels were clean. Would I stay again? No. Needs a complete renovation or needs to be priced accordingly.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank AmarieUk
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear AmarieUK -

Thank you for staying with us at The Winds and thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We appreciate all comments, positive, negative or in-between. They tell us what we are doing right and what we need to improve upon.

I’m glad you found some aspects of your room and stay to praise; but I am sorry that, overall, you were not happy. I apologize that you found the air conditioner to be too noisy. The suites each have their own air conditioner units, which can be a change for folks accustomed to central air conditioning. Our maintenance staff seeks to make certain each is in top working order. However, it sounds as though for the night in question, yours was not. The Winds’ use of paper and plastic are standard for a buffet breakfast where guests carry their food up to the pool, out to the beach or back to their rooms. We do offer accommodations with kitchenettes and full kitchens. All are equipped with glassware, plates & stainless cutlery.

You offered that this was the most expensive room you have ever stayed in. The summer is peak season along the coast. As our rates are competitive with area properties, I wonder if you might have stayed with us for a destination wedding and were not advised by the bride & groom that there might have been alternative, non-resort accommodations available off Ocean Isle Beach? Again, thank you for all your comments.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Winds is an aptly named beach resort. Tropical colors, lush vegetation, tiki bar (food is good too) and laid back feel. Proximity to the ocean is amazing. Breakfast served in the morning is basic and edible, esp the fruit salad. There were 3 weddings over Memorial Day and handled with subtlety and finesse, you wouldn't have known other than the various musicians that played for the guests, which were all wrapped up well before 11p. Bed was extremely comfortable (Rm 304) and heard very little noise, if any, in the bedroom. For being on the ocean, it didn't have a sea spray feel, smell or look to it which many beachfront properties do. Yes there are smokers by the Thirty Tikki bar but it's outdoors and I didn't notice the smell drift into rooms or other areas. I reiterate, it's a beach resort, meant for lowkey beachfront enjoyment. One note, we took a couples getaway package and inc. is a massage - the massage is off-site, about 10 min drive off the island, just fyi.

Room Tip: Look at property map if you have specific requests.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PMitchell822
MarketingMan310, Director of Marketing at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your holiday weekend with us and enjoyed so many of the things that make The Winds unique. Watching a beach wedding can be a fun experience for our guests on the weekends! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

WAY overpriced to be this OLD and DIRTY. We requested a renovated room after reading reviews of the ones that weren't. We got the 2 bedroom which was still TINY. The furniture was old and stained. We sat on barstools. The carpets were NASTY - our feet were black by lunch time from walking on them. (We had to wear shoes inside the rest of the trip.) The second day I noticed bites on my legs and my sons. I assumed mosquitos or something. Then as I was tucking them into bed I saw FLEAS jump off the edge of the sheet touching the floor. I immediately called the front desk and they were basically like "So what do you want us to do about it?" Nobody cared! I guess since they are Pet Friendly you should expect fleas?!? No thanks! I was very unhappy at checkout that morning and received a small discount but nobody really cared. With a name like "Beach Club Resort" and prices to match you would expect something that is clean and updated at best. The only decent parts were the beach and the breakfast. The pools were ok but small for that many people. You may also choke to death with all the smokers around your patio and pool all day. Lesson Learned!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank SmoothMamaJones
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear SmoothMamaJones-

Thank you for staying with us last September. I only just recently came on board here at The Winds Resort and consequently do not know all the details of your stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed our hot Southern breakfast buffet and the beautiful beach. However, please accept my apology for what you describe as a unsatisfactory overall experience.

While, I do not feel I can speak to the condition of your room 8 months on, I do think I can speak to the commitment to excellence our new Executive Housekeeper has brought to the strong team of hospitality professionals The Winds already had in place. I am sorry that some sand fleas found their way to your room. All rooms, whether designated as “pet friendly” or not, are subject to regular pest control. And I further apologize that you felt no one cared about your concerns last year. That certainly would not be acceptable under my watch and, again, is not something I've witnessed since I have joined the team. From what I have seen at The Winds since I arrived, and from the collection of reviews of the property here on TripAdvisor, I believe your experience was atypical.

Our website, TheWinds.com displays up-to-date photos of each of our varied room types so that guests may view the room they are booking ahead of time. Families are all different. For folks who plan to spend time indoors, our 3, 4, 5 or six bedroom cottages may offer the additional space they prefer. Our prices are competitive with other beach resorts along the coast. If they weren't, The Winds would not remain in business long. Smoking is prohibited in all of our indoor rooms and facilities. And although some municipalities have limited outdoor smoking, ours has not.

Again, thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. My hope and goal is that we learn from this and improve as a result.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Our daughter, son-in-law and two grandchildren rented a one bedroom with two double beds, bunk beds in seperate area, bathroom and full kitchen. Our room with a king, bathroom and small kitchenette area was adjoining. We all loved our stay. The attention to detail is impressive. You can tell alot of thought was put into the planning. The decor is bright and clean. We would recommend this property to anybody. The accomodations are from anywhere from one person to cottages for many and all possibilities in between. The beach is quiet and beautiful. The shells were plentiful and varied. Everyone we met from housekeeping, bar, restaurant staff (breakfast) and front desk were friendly and helpful. We LOVE The Winds. We will return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
MarketingMan310, Director of Marketing at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We are so glad to hear that you and your family had a great vacation with us. Thank you for your wonderful comments about your accommodations and our staff. We look forward to having you back to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Winds for six days and they were heaven. Even though we didn't have the best weather a few days, it didn't matter, there was plenty to do close by (movies, museums). We had an oceanfront suite with a refrigerator, daily maid service, a hot cooked breakfast every morning and a lovely porch with rocking chairs. The room had been recently renovated with bamboo flooring and new tile. Very beachy. For being at the beach, the place was spotless. We did not mind folks walking in front of our room, you had to be out on the porch or looking out the window to see them. Plus, this is the South, be friendly! The landscaping and plants are incredible, you can spend hours walking the grounds. The Thirsty Tiki is the bar/restaurant at the ocean-side pool. Friendly staff and good drinks. Even though we had a first row view, we didn't hear a thing when they got a little rowdy on Friday night. The beach was wide and full of seashells. We sat out on the beach a few days. I spent hours walking in the warm surf. We watched two weddings from our front porch Saturday afternoon. Such a relaxing, beautiful place, I'm sure we'll be back.

Room Tip: We had room 304. We were on the 3rd floor of building #3 and had a view of the ocean, palm trees and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ALH59
MarketingMan310, Director of Marketing at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others and thank you for the wonderful review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We're so happy to hear that you got to enjoy some of the great local attractions we have here and so many of our hotel amenities.

We truly love your descriptions about our property, the friendly people, the beach right outside your door, and a relaxing time spent at the beach! We look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

This resort is everything it promises...charming, clean, great ocean front views- but I disagree to the family friendly claim due to the second hand smoke you consume simply rocking in a chair by your front door. The ocean front rooms share one large balcony separated by "privacy" walls. It seemed that everyone within a five room radius was smoking cigarettes constantly. From first thing in the morning until late at night. The smell somehow filters into the rooms as well. Yes, this is NC tobacco country- but during our stay it was out of state guests in town for a weekend wedding, so the excuse that "it's just how it is in NC" absolutely does not apply. If you have made the conscious decision to stay away from toxic cigarette smoke, then I would find a hotel that offers true smoke free environment options.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Katie J
MarketingMan310, Director of Marketing at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us but we are sorry that the guests near you were smokers. In the future, please don't hesitate to speak with our front desk so they can find you alternate accommodations. Unfortunately it is difficult to govern outdoor spaces for smoking, however all of our rooms are smoke-free. We hope you enjoyed the wedding and we hope to have you back again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocean Isle Beach
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Shallotte
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Days Inn Shallotte
Days Inn Shallotte
#1 of 3 in Shallotte

Been to The Winds Resort Beach Club? Share your experiences!