“A Restful Retreat”

The Winds Resort Beach Club
Cullowhee, North Carolina
“A Restful Retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

The Winds is a place that is near and dear to my heart. When my family and I stay here, it takes me back to younger years. There is nothing that beats waking up in a comfy, ocean view room knowing that a delicious homemade breakfast is but a few steps away. From bacon, to corn beef hash, and the grits! I love the atmosphere at the Winds, too. Walking through it's tropical pathways transports my mind away from the normal stresses and responsibilities and allows me to really rest and enjoy my vacation. The shoreline that hugs this beach front resort is always clean and just a short walk from the rooms. Hands down, this is the best and most accommodating resort I've stayed at in the twenty + years of vacations.

Room Tip: My favorite spot is third floor near the pool. Great view!
1 Thank Maggie K
GarisonKaufman, Director of Marketing at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacations over the years with us. We love when our guests come back year after year. Thank you for your great comments about our breakfast buffet and our tropical grounds. We are so happy that we can be your respite on the beach and we we look forward to having you back again soon!

Director Of Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Lenor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My family and I recently stayed at The Winds Resort Beach Club. It was a wonderful week of relaxation and fun. The rooms were so nice and comfortable. The staff was so helpful with anything we needed. Breakfast each morning was an added bonus. (The bacon is delicious!) My family and I will be back next year! Thanks to all at The Winds!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Thank Kathy P
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your vacation at The Winds and our rooms and free breakfast buffet (including bacon!). We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you back soon!

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My family members & I have stayed here countless times for over a decade ( probably more ) & always will. Staff members are always pleasant & helpful, our rooms have always been clean & comfortable, the breakfast is always very good ( love the biscuits & gravy ), parking is handy, the pool & hot tub always clean, the beach in front of the Winds is always enjoyable, etc. etc, etc.My family owned motels in Myrtle Beach in the 1940's,'50's & 60's & they were constantly having to paint, repair or replace things on the property due to the constant effect of the salt air...many times while we've stayed at the Winds their staff are doing work around the outside but I understand the need & appreciate what they're doing...no big deal. We wouldn't think of staying anywhere else on Ocean Isle.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom H
GarisonKaufman, Director of Marketing at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We thank you so much for your wonderful review and we are happy to hear how much you enjoy our resort. You are correct, we are consistently renovating our property in order to give our guests a better vacation experience. We hope you continue to love your vacations here and we look forward to having you back again soon!

Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Their online reservation system is horrible. It deleted my children from my reservation and added my reservation for the date I made the reservation not the date I selected. Even though I made my reservation at almost midnight, the staff was unwilling to refund my money or give me a credit when I called the explain the error. We have been to the hotel and although it's in a charming location and we'd planned to renew our vows here, I will not give them any further business due to the extreme poor handling of the botched reservation. The hotel's manager, Garrison, actually told me to "act like an adult" when I asked him nicely to work with me. I was completely demeaned when I asked them to help me fix the problem. All this hotel cares about is getting your money.

6 Thank Elisabeth M
We regret that you encountered issues with our online booking system. As on most online booking engines, occasionally, when a guest has entered into a secure connection and goes back to a previous page, the information options reset to default settings - which is the day you make the reservation. During our peak season we do have a no refund policy regarding deposits with reservations less than 30 days away, however we did allow your deposit to be credited to a future stay.

Some of the details may have gotten a bit muddled, but we apologize if anything was said in the confusion that upset you. We hope that you will still visit Ocean Isle Beach as it is a wonderful vacation destination.

Blfd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We have visited OIB for over twenty years but never stayed at The Winds Resort. I wish we had stayed there long ago! The resort offered everything we needed and more. Every member of the staff was friendly and very helpful. We will be back! I have read some less than stellar reviews but our trip was great. This is not a large-scale chain and that is part of the charm. Relax---you are at the beach!!!

Room Tip: We chose to pay more for the ocean front room....higher level...not ground floor. The hotel uses in...
2 Thank Dturtle24
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We appreciate your wonderful comments about our resort and our staff. We are so glad you enjoyed your vacation at The Winds and we hope to have you back to stay with us again soon!

Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Ocean Isle is a great place to take the family to get away from the busy rush of Myrtle Beach - the beaches are nice and the access is good. The island does not offer many hotel or resort options - mostly private homes (which I would recommend). The Winds takes advantage of the lack of competition by charging 5 star pricing for 3 star accommodations. First let me state that the staff was outstanding - the rooms were clean - and the pool and Tiki Bar was nice. The breakfast was a basic breakfast bar - did not change for the 6 nights we were there - no fresh fruit - and as other mentioned - paper plates and plastic - not what I would expect for resort prices. Bikes were free - which was nice. Free summer golf at local courses (be prepared for $25/person cart fees - not exactly free or cost effective compared to other web deals).
As others have mentioned - the resort is dated and in need of serious updating - I read the reviews before I went concerning the air conditioners and dehumidifiers and thought others were exaggerating - they were not - let me try to represent it correctly - our 2 bedroom unit had 1 window and 2 stand alone air conditioning units that ran 24/7. There was also a dehumidifier in the living room running full time as well - these units are loud! The stove was at least 30 years old - the furnishings were worn. Access to rooms is via a shared deck - you do not have a private deck for each room.
This review is longer than most of my reviews in hopes that the owners of this resort take action to reduce prices to bring in line with other 2-3 star facilities or spend some money to rebuild and modernize. I like the location - I like the people -and I will probably go back to Ocean Isle - but I will avoid the Winds resort.

Room Tip: If it is not an ocean front room - you are across the street from the beach
2 Thank Bryan B
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Ocean Isle. It is a wonderful beach, unlike many others. We are glad that you found our staff helpful and our rooms clean. While we do quite a lot of renovations each year including rooms, furnishings, and our grounds, the property does have a retro feel to it. We have made extensive renovations over the past winter to a large number of rooms including hard wood bamboo flooring, new furniture, etc. It can be difficult to moderate temperatures and humidity on an oceanfront property in the heat of the summer, but we try to make our guests as comfortable as possible. We look forward to having you to Ocean Isle again!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Did not stay there, but went several nights to the Tiki Bar for drinks and lunch one day. Beautiful setting , can see the ocean and feel the cool ocean breeze. Kim was our waitress and she was great, very entertaining. Fun place to go!!!

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We are so glad that you enjoyed the Tiki Bar and the ambience of the oceanfront pool, it's really a piece of paradise on the coast. We hope to have you back to the Tiki bar or to stay with us soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocean Isle Beach
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Shallotte
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach Resort
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,407 reviews
Avista Resort
Avista Resort
#5 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,157 reviews

Been to The Winds Resort Beach Club? Share your experiences!