“Nothing special here”

The Winds Resort Beach Club
Middlebury, Vermont
“Nothing special here”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The lack of options on Ocean Isle Beach are what keep this place in business. We stayed here for a family gathering and it seemed to be the best of the limited options on the island. The hotel is made up of a series of beach houses acquired over time, which maybe I should have picked up ahead of time, but it was a bit of a surprise upon arrival. Our room was across the street and accessed only via a sliding glass door. The room was carpeted, which was just a little gross for the beach. Everything in the room was dated.

The pool is very small with a small area around it for chairs. We got there early and got seats - only because there was only one other family there. The breakfast is nothing special, very carb heavy buffet eaten on paper plates.

Not worth the money. No desire to go back.

1 Thank staceyrainey
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear staceyrainey,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay on Ocean Isle Beach. It sounds as if you were seeking a large, hotel-style resort like you might find in Myrtle Beach or in some much larger destination, which we and OIB definitely are not. Though we are a smaller resort, we actually have three swimming pools on our property. Additionally, we find that our multiple beach cottages provide for a relaxed, family-friendly environment. They also allow for flexibility in accommodating guest parties of many sizes. We hope your future vacation destinations will better match your resort preferences.

Best regards,
Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Clemmons, NC
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from a weekend visit at the Winds and felt compelled to share some observations. This was our second visit to the Winds in the last three (maybe four) years. Our first time, we thoroughly enjoyed everything about the property and agreed we would come back again as we did last weekend. This time, we cannot say the same as we found the property to be unkempt and in some places (I’ll be more specific shortly) dirty. My wife and I travel often and base our expectations on many factors including cost, cleanliness,reputation, locations, etc. We are not unreasonable in what we expect and understand that no place is truly perfect and that uncontrollable issues sometimes arise.
Having said that, The Winds does bill itself as a resort and they charge a price that reflects resort status, therefore my wife and I expected that at the very least, the resort would be well maintained and clean. I will note that our room, a bit on the dated side and in need of an upgrade was clean and acceptable, other than the 1980’s era television & antiquated table. The curtains were annoying to look at (hung haphazardly skipped hook holders, missing hooks and dragging on the floor by 3 -4 inches). The door latch cover to our room was hanging on by a thread and I got a screw driver and fixed it. Again, this is a resort and guests feeling compelled to perform maintenance tasks on the property to make their stay less annoying reflects badly on the resort.
We arrived on Saturday morning at noon. We were told our room was not ready but they would call when it was and that it was guaranteed to be ready by 4. At 3:50, we checked on the room and was told it was ready. I never did receive that phone call I was told I would get, but it was ready by 4 like they said. We were in the section of rooms that is across the street from the main property which has its own pool that we used on Saturday along with the main pool, beachfront.
The resort was packed with people on Saturday and the pool area by our room reflected the busy day with stuffed trash cans, empty water bottles & chairs strewn about and a pool full of sand. My wife commented to me about what slobs people can be when they do not clean up after themselves. On Sunday morning my wife and I took a bike ride (love having bikes onsite) had breakfast and then returned to our pool area to use the hot tub (approx: 10 am). We were shocked to see that the pool and the pool area had not been cleaned after Saturday’s heavy usage. The mess was all still there.
When we returned to our room, between 11 and noon, I called the front desk and spoke to a nice lady (I forget her name). I let her know about the pool and in a concerned voice; she said it would be taken care of. We spent the rest of the day on the beach. When we returned many hours later, the pool area was unchanged as another full array of guests who paid top dollar to use the “resort” got to spend their afternoon by a filthy pool and pool area. On Monday morning as we prepared to check out, a maintenance person was finally emptying the trash cans that were packed with the debris from two days before.
My wife and I checked out and headed for the breakfast room. It was a nice morning and we decided to eat at one of the picnic tables along the main resort walkway. At 9 am in the morning, it was obvious the grounds had not been cleaned even though guests were out and about. The walkways had not been swept and were covered with sand & debris from the many trees. Our picnic table was covered with plant debris, the pool, about to open for the day, had a lot of sand on the bottom and the bathroom by the breakfast room was filthy and disgusting (sand, pieces of toilet paper & stray hairs all over the floor). On our way out, my wife and I noticed multiple resort employees doing some light cleaning in the parking lot instead of where the cleaning was needed, the guest areas!
Any place that that calls itself a resort and prides itself on cleanliness, cleans their pools daily, especially on days of heavy use (weekends) and public bathrooms should be cleaned as often as needed. Pools should be vacuumed, bathrooms cleaned, trash cans and ashtrays emptied, walkways swept and sand rinse areas rinsed clean every morning before the 7 am breakfast crowd starts arriving. This is to be expected by the guests who paid for it and should not be neglected by the staff who are paid to perform these duties.
It is obvious; the owners of this property do not care about the resort’s daily appearance/cleanliness as business appears to be booming. It will only boom for so long if their quality control and lack of attention to details does not change. Until those changes are made and obvious, we will not be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank PhillyRick
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear PhillyRick- Thank you for returning to The Winds. We appreciate both your patronage and your comments. I apologize that you were disappointed with your return visit to us. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the details. I have passed your observations on to the appropriate department heads for them to review and follow-up. As you noted, "no place is truly perfect." and it appears as if, during your stay, we were definitely shy of the mark. Please be assured, that The Winds' owners and managers do indeed care a great deal about the daily appearance of our property. We are well aware of the fact that, like a violin, a resort is not something that gets "tuned" once and remains forever in tune. We are dedicated to providing the care and attention required to attract new guests and keep established guests returning to us again and again. We hope that care and attention, that "tuning" will see you retuning to us soon.
Respectfully yours,
Warsaw, Indiana
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We just got home from 4 days and 3 nights at the Winds Beach Resort! We had a beautifully decorated, clean oceanfront room. We loved the pool and beautiful beach. Although the lady who checked us in was a bit rude while answering our many questions, the thirsty tiki staff made up for it! Kim has such a kind heart and treated everyone as if they were long lost friends....we loved it! It was our first time to OIB and the guys were planning to golf everyday but the resort was so relaxing they actually left their clubs untouched...that says something in itself!!

Room Tip: choose a room with a great view of the ocean
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Rusty M,
Thank you for electing to stay with us this month and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that you felt your reception was not all it should have been. I will follow-up with my staff on that. On the other hand, I am pleased to learn that Kim provided you the welcome and care you wanted. I will pass your praises on to her and to her supervisor. I am sorry you were so relaxed and content here at The Winds that you missed out on golfing. Might I suggest a return visit to us this autumn to compensate? It's fine golfing weather well into November.
Westerville, Ohio
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The Winds is the place my Mom and I come every summer for our "girls get away" we've been coming for I think it's ten years this year! We tried a few other beach spots before finding The Winds and once we did we knew it was "our" place. Myrtle Beach was too crowded and commercial and we moved to Ocean Isle and The Winds has been the best find. It's very relaxing, the Tiki Hut is always making great drinks, and great bar food. There is a great pool looking over the beach and ocean. It's usually quiet and we just have our routine. We love the Causeway Gourmet which was recommended to us the year it opened and we always stop by there ever since. We love this place because it's family owned. It's been built up but it still feels small, with the rocking chairs outside our door and the beautiful beach view. We love that you can still run into the original family owners at the resort. Everyone is so kind and friendly. They also have I believe 3 other pools 1 indoor and 2 more outdoor. Rooms are available overlooking the beach but the also have rooms and cottages available to rent for larger families directly across the street and with access to all the amenities. Offer a good breakfast in the morning. They've kept up with making good updates to the rooms over the years so everything is always looking nice, never run down. I hope my Mom and I will continue this tradition for a long time! ♡ We always go in August which is a little less busy time as well, but still usually great weather. Though we have run into the occasional tropical storm over the past 10 years which has been an adventure! :)

Room Tip: Rooms on the first and second floor directly overlooking the pool can be a bit louder in the evening...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear HeatherNG -
Happy 10th "Anniversary!" Thank you for sharing the story of how you came to us with our TripAdvisor readers. I hope your girls getaway with us as also included taking advantage of some of the spa and massage options we offer as well as the rocking chairs, great drinks from our Thirsti Tiki and beautiful beach views. However, I do have to correct one mis-statement of yours. We have a total of 3 swimming pools, not 4. Of course there is that fairly significant supplement to all the pools. We like to call it "The Ocean!" <G> We look forward to you and your Mom joining us for an 11th year.
Ohio
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Winds Beach Resort. We had some issues during our stay (trash left on our deck from previous guest, air conditioner quit working on 95 degree day, DVD player not working, one of our rooms in our condo never cooled down) but the staff addressed these issues immediately and were very friendly about our complaints.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Tuckerup-
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Winds and thank you for providing us with your feedback. Let me begin by offering my apologies to you for the inconveniences you experienced. I am pleased that our staff did address your concerns promptly and to your satisfaction. We believe it is our staff that really can make a difference for our guests. I am glad that, when all was said & done, your "trip to Ocean Isle Beach was [indeed] great." We hope another trip will be in the not-too-distant future.
SouthCentral Pensylvania
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Our family stayed for an abbreviated week over the July 4th 2014 holiday. We had a nice time. I will start with the beach, because that was the best part of our experience. It was clean, not too heavily populated, and quite pleasant. However, keep in mind that The Winds resort really has nothing to do with nature and the quality of the beach. The resort has a tropical feel and a nice family vibe, but it positively does not rate more than three stars in any way; just not a luxury accomodation. Our two bedroom unit was clean, but bedrooms and baths were small. A plus: no palmetto bugs to be seen anywhere (perhaps they are eaten by the three cute wild racoons on the property). The two window style air conditioners and dehumidifier were very noisy and made conversation difficult, but, sounds can be heard from other units, so they did help with sleeping. Be advised that the resort units have no laundry facilities; guests have to share the use of a public "laundry room". And now, dear resort owners, let us address that laundry. Absolutely DEPLORABLE! Shame on you! I took photographs! I will cut you a break and not show them here. Six rusting, corroded and dated machines (3 washers and 3 dryers) located in a sweltering shack with a rusty, non-working fan, and three of them OUT OF ORDER!? When I finally got my "turn" at using them, one of the two "working" washing machines timed out leaving my load soaking wet. I ended up hanging damp clothes from the shower rod (thank goodness I brought my own hangers, yours are those wierd things permanently attached to the closet rod). This would not be such a huge issue except, be advised travellers! there are NO laundromats available anywhere outside this resort. Food: hard to come by in the neighborhood after 8:30 PM. There is a market within driving distance. The free breakfast each morning was uninspired, lukewarm, but adequate. The staff, except for the overly flirty overly tanned barmaid (who intentionally caused a rift with a married couple), were very pleasant and accomodating. If you like a beachy, cozy quartered, Tommy Bahama, laid back feel, check out this resort; but take plenty of clean, dry clothing!

Room Tip: You want a second floor room - overgrown tropical vegetation obscures the view of the ocean.
3 Thank StarryStarryNight
Dear StarryStarryNight-
Thank you for celebrating Independence Day with us and thank you for providing us with your review. I am glad to learn that you had a nice time and enjoyed the beach. Unfortunately, washing machines do, occasionally, break down. I am sorry that you experienced such an instance. Our maintenance staff is here 7 days a week to help when things go awry and the machine was back up the following day. There are, however, considerably more laundry facilities available to our guests than you indicated. In addition to our 4 ocean front buildings, we have 10 cottages, each of which has its own laundry room. I am sorry too that you had difficulty finding food at night. Our Thirsti Tiki continues to serve food at least until 9:00 pm. nightly. Plus, there are many restaurants on the island and nearby that remain open quite late. Additionally, Ocean Isle Beach supermarkets are open until 11pm, with a 24 hour store just 10 minutes away. We hope you will think of staying with us again when you're looking for a resort with "a tropical feel and a nice family vibe."
Lake Norman, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We were working our way up the SC/NC coast without any sort of hotel reservations - figuring we'd end up at a Hampton Inn somewhere off Hwy 17. We got to Ocean Isle and decided to try to find a room there. We got lucky and The Winds had an ocean view room - for the same cost as we would have paid off busy hwy 17. To their credit, the woman who took our reservation told us they had a king OF room but on the first floor but she advised the view was mostly dunes so, we opted for the OV room. It was clean with updated cottage style decor. Beds were a bit soft but they were pillow top and comfy. Our room was across the street from the main building and had a nice balcony with rockers. We enjoyed a couple drinks at the tiki bar while watching the Supermoon shimmer over the ocean and decided we could do the rest of our exploring from there and booked a second nite.

We had to move rooms the next day to a new room but they gave us a late check out and called us just an hour later to tell us the new room was ready. New room was in a different building and was similar in quality and decor. Their complimentary hot breakfast buffet was plentiful and well tended and is the best we've experienced in a hotel. We were helped by Leslie and Gary and both were very customer service oriented.

The hotel was quiet and we enjoyed the lush plants and landscaping everywhere - it helped give it a resort feel. It's not a chain hotel and it's not the Ritz-Carlton but it's clean, quiet, eclectic (in a good way) and offers lots to do: a couple pools, a playground, hot tubs everywhere, complimentary bike rentals and a beautiful beach with chairs and umbrellas to rent. We understand the summer humidity of the Carolinas and were not surprised by the dehumidifier in our room and were grateful for it as it keeps things from getting mildewy. We appreciate locally owned "off the beaten path" places so it was perfect for us and we can see ourselves going back.

Room Tip: Rooms across the street from the main buildings are quieter - but not ocean front. Avoid the first...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pam C
Dear Pam C -
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your first night so much that you extended your stay. When a room move is required, our Guest Services, Housekeeping and Maintenance coordinate to make the move as painless as possible. It sounds as if Gary & Leslie were a big help in that regard. We hope it won't be too long before you step "off the beaten path" again and return to our "eclectic-in a good way" resort.
Happy trails!
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Shallotte
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Avista Resort
Avista Resort
#5 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach

Been to The Winds Resort Beach Club? Share your experiences!