“Enjoyed my stay with a few exceptions”

The Winds Resort Beach Club
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My room was perfect for me. Comfortable bed and great location on the top floor on the oceanfront. The Tiki bar was just right with delicious drinks and good food. Kim and Lorna were very friendly. The breakfast was delicious. I enjoyed sitting out on the balcony except for the smoker staying in the next room. I would have to go inside every time this person came out to smoke which was frequently. Same people were on the beach and at the pool and hard to avoid them. I also did not find the daytime front desk staff to be very welcoming for a resort. The rest of the staff was very nice. For me the best thing was to be right on the beach.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Martha H,
Thank you for staying with us in August and thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I will pass your compliments on to Kim & Lorna. I apologize that you felt that some of our Guest Services staff were not as welcoming as you expected. I will follow up on that. I am pleased that, on the whole, you enjoyed your stay and we hope you'll return to us when the beach calls you back.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

We stayed at the Winds Resort from Aug 26-28, 2014. We loved it so much. We wanted a nice, relaxing, clean resort on a great beach and this is what we got! We stayed in a Magnolia cottage. It was a spectacular little cottage! My parents had a king bed in their bedroom and my husband, baby, and I had a room with two double beds. The kitchen was great and well equipped. The living room area was nice and spacious. We had two bathrooms, which was wonderful! The view from our room (#103) was beautiful. The breakfast in the morning had plenty of choices and we loved sitting out in the patio area. It was so peaceful. We went in all three pools and they were great. Oh and the jacuzzi was nice too! I have to say that the staff were all so nice. The last day we had a very late flight and they accommodated us with a late check-out. We were so pleased. The best part of this resort was the relaxing scenery. There are several types of palms trees and other trees that make you feel like you are in a tropical island. The beach out front was great, not crowded at all. We had it all to ourselves at times! The ocean was warm and clean. We went kayaking one morning in the intercoastal waterway and had a blast. We rented kayaks at Salty Surfshop II. It is right on the water, near the bridge. In conclusion, we had a lovely time at The Winds Resort and plan on returning again next summer!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Tara1979,
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to submit your comments to TripAdvisor. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you found out, our Magnolia, 2-Bedroom Suites are ideal for small family groups. If your family grows, please keep in mind that we also have 3, 4, 5 and 6 bedroom cottages to grow with you! I will be certain to pass your compliments on to our landscaping staff. There are wonderful discoveries to be found all over our resort. We look forward to your return next summer.
Best regards,

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I had visited the resort previously alongside my cousin as she planned her wedding at The Winds. I was expecting a typical resort, large and lavish, but this was quaint and inviting. As we returned for the wedding, me, my husband, our daughter, and around 15 other of our family members, we were entranced by the inviting and welcoming paradise atmosphere. Lush tropical foliage lines the walkways, helpful and courteous staff, and friendly guests in every direction. We spent quite a bit of time lounging poolside at the tiki bar while the kids enjoyed the pool. The bartenders were fantastic and made you feel like they'd known you for years. The other guests visiting the bar would mingle with us making us regret that we weren't spending more time with them, as everyone was so friendly in just a relaxed environment. The location could not be more convenient as we took advantage of visiting and touring the local area - sunset beach, calabash, southport, and bald head island. The view coming over the causeway to OIB is like no other - you'll be in love! The continental breakfast served is amazing. We thought muffins, cereal, blah but we were welcomed to gravy and biscuits, the crispest bacon, eggs, the works! We also had our 7-year old a little birthday cake and pizza party in the outdoor dining area where we were told later that the resort raccoon enjoyed the cake, as well. There are also resort cats that will bid you a visit while enjoying the property. Our entire family enjoyed everything about this little slice of paradise and will attempt to make it an annual trip, which has even the worst travelers and the beach haters in our clan counting down the days.

Room Tip: Book early as ocean front rooms fill quickly and I really do think the experience wouldn't have...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear AngelBevins,
Thank you for staying with us in July. We appreciate your taking the time to provide us with your comments. What can I say in response to someone calling us a "little slice of paradise" other than "Thank You." As you and your cousin discovered, although we are not a large resort, we are a wonderful beach destination for wedding celebrations. Brides & grooms have come to us from from all over the US and from as far afield as the UK, Korea, Argentina and the Philippines. We are so pleased that you and your extended family & friends enjoyed your stay. It is our privilege and pleasure to welcome families large and small. Congratulations to your cousin & her new husband. We hope that they will join the many other happy couples who return to celebrate anniversaries with us. And we look forward to seeing you, your daughter, and your "beach hating husband" back with us soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

The Winds is a nice place, but I feel the price is too high and the amenities too few to be considered a resort.
Pros: Clean, but housekeepers clean the laminate floors by sweeping the sand etc into the corners (I witnessed this)
Tiki Bar employees were friendly and helpful.
Front desk was usually helpful, but some were more enthusiastic that others.
Shuffleboard, ping pong tables, and basketball were all across the street (i.e. not oceanfront) so they were inconvenient.
Cons: DO NOT get a room with another room above -- you hear every single footstep and noise from the other patrons. Laminate flooring does not help, obviously, but the sound was outrageous and almost spoiled the whole trip.
Sofa bed and king size beds were uncomfortable. The mattress on the sofa bed was dreadfully thin (but clean), and the king size bed was way to soft and lumpy. Again, not resort.
I figured ocean-side seating would be provided at no expense since this was a resort, but not so. There is no beach seating provided.
Kitchenette was too small -- not really useful.
Window air conditioner in the bedroom (only one) never fully cooled the common area -- always too hot. And the dehumidifier that was in the room gave off way too much heat to be useful!

If you're looking for a relaxed and very social environment for a vacation, and you get a top floor, and you don't need to cook any meals, this will suffice. I just don't believe, for the money, the vacation lived up to a resort feel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Paledry,
Thank you for staying with us this August and thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. We agree, The Winds is, just as you wrote, “a relaxed and very social environment for a vacation.” I am sorry that you found the bedding not to your satisfaction and the compact kitchen not useful enough. We do have suites and cottages with full kitchens for folks who want a large fridge, stove, oven and dishwasher as alternatives to our rooms with wet bars or compact kitchens. As at most resorts, beach chairs are available for rental. Our resort’s many amenities (3 swimming pools, 10 spas, shuffleboard court, fitness center, croquet, ping pong, etc..) are spread among our 14 beach cottages and buildings. Some amenities are ocean front, like the Thirsti Tiki Hut, others, like the shuffleboard court are not. I am sorry that you found that inconvenient. Again, thank you for your stay & comments.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I just spent Friday evening through Sunday morning at this hotel for a birthday weekend get away with a friend. The Winds was every bit as lovely as the pictures and the staff was very friendly. Our room was clean and airy and beautifully appointed. Everything about the hotel was convenient. We had a third floor garden view room on the third row and it was fantastic. The building even had a little roof top deck that afforded an ocean view. I spent half of my trip up there admiring the view and cool breeze and only met one other person up there. So it kind of felt like my own little secret (maybe I should not have mentioned it). The free breakfast was really nice. It changed up a little bit each day but there were eggs, grits, gravy, biscuits, sausage, bacon, bagels, pastries, cereal, fruit and do-it-yourself waffles. Our room also had a nice little kitchen area (not a separate room) with a fridge, toaster, coffee maker and wet bar. My only complaints are that the kitchen area needed a larger trash can (it was miniature sized) and we could have used more places to either hang wet things in the bathroom or on the deck. If those are my only complaints you are doing it right! The ocean front pool with tiki bar was a nice touch and the grounds had beautiful little gardens everywhere. Though we were staying on the third row it was a very quick and very pleasant walk to the beach. Ocean Isle Beach itself is also very nice. It's a wide, flat, clean beach with a gentle surf and not overcrowded. I will return. This is now my #1 beach hotel.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet experience away from the hustle and bustle then I suggest one of gard...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank triptastic104
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear triptastic 104-

Happy (belated) Birthday! Thank you for choosing The Winds as your celebration destination and thank you for sharing your comments with us and with others. I'm glad you enjoyed our full Southern Breakfast Buffet and the "secret" roof-top deck. Thank you too for mentioning our tropical gardens. I will pass your praises on to our Landscaping Team. We look forward to your return visit.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Only got to stay one night but will definitely be going again in near future. Such a nice, relaxing . beautiful place. Lush ocean front garden makes you feel like you are in a tropical oasis! Room was really nice and had all we needed to be comfortable. Beds were great and quiet relaxing atmosphere. We were across the street, but had little ocean view. Breakfast next morning was out-standing. Everyone on staff made us feel special and pampered. Loved the ocean-front tiki-bar & hot-tub. You will be pampered on a visit here. <3 it!!! Stayed in room 507 across street....little cheaper.

Room Tip: Ocean-front or higher floors for view of beach.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sherry m

Dear Sherry M -

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to share your observations with us and TripAdvisor readers. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the fact that , unlike most properties on Ocean Isle Beach, we do accept bookings for less than a week's stay. Mini-vacations can really help us restore our energies. Perhaps this Autumn, you'll find a two or three day weekend for a return visit. It is the goal of all of us on the staff here at The Winds to make each and everyone of our guests feel they are special - because they are.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Our week at the Winds Resort Beach Club turned out to be the ideal vacation for our group of 14. The accommodations at the 5 bedroom/5 bath cottage were comfortable, spacious and clean. The beach was beautiful and surprisingly uncrowded, and the 2 pools and many activities offered kept everyone happy. A real plus was the buffet breakfast that is included with the rental. Delicious choices satisfied our whole family (ages 4 -69). The staff members were friendly and our experience with the front office was pleasant and helpful. We all thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Winds and hope to return again!

John F and family from Wilmington DE

Room Tip: We found that the cottages are ideal for large family or group and are a 3 minute walkto the beach!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Virginia & John F -

Thank you for choosing The Winds as the site of your family's vacation and thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and TripAdvisor readers. I am glad you all enjoyed yourselves and am so pleased to hear you are considering returning to us. With so many coastal options between OIB and Wilmington Delaware, we are honored that you have favored us with your patronage.

Cordially yours,

The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Shallotte
Days Inn Shallotte
Days Inn Shallotte
#1 of 3 in Shallotte

Been to The Winds Resort Beach Club? Share your experiences!