“A well kept secret”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
The Harborside Motel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Columbia, South Carolina
“A well kept secret”
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We came here to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. This was the perfect place! We loved the cottage front porch and the deck on the harbor. The staff were attentive, helpful, and very friendly. They helped make our visit delightful and yes, we will be back.

Cindy and John Balaam
Columbia, SC

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johncindy2

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 24 June 2011

My husband and I and our friends, rented the two front units. They were decorated so cute and were very clean. We enjoyed sitting on the front porch, watching all of the boats, birds and people. We only wish we could have stayed another night. Their gift shop has so many cute and interesting items. Thank you for abeautiful experience.
Bruno, Nonie, Ted & Martha

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Nonieboloney
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Without our knowledge or consent, all of our belongings were removed from our room and left on the second story shared walkway/balcony prior to check-out time!

My elderly Dad and his wife accompanied my husband and me to Okracoke Island on the way back to Atlanta from a vacation to Outer Banks. We were able to get 2 rooms at the Harborside for the night. The desk clerks were very friendly and provided us with information on medical services on the island, the motel emergency number and info on the deck over the harbor. We enjoyed the deck, although it is across the street from the rooms. The room my Dad and his wife had was facing the harbor, had a front porch, but was across the street from the harbor. My husband I stayed in an efficiency with a shared walkway/balcony as that was all they had left. During the night, we had to call 911 for my Dad and he was transported via ambulance to the ferry and then over 1.5 hours away to the ER at Outer Banks Hospital in Nag’s Head. I called the Harborside Motel Emergency # in the early morning hours to notify them that we didn’t have time to pack before following the ambulance but would be back by checkout time. When my Dad was discharged after spending the entire night in the ER, I again called the motel number and confirmed that we would be back to get our belongings. After the discharge from ER and dropping my Dad and wife at the Travelodge in Nag’s Head (a wonderful place by the way, they got a room ready at 7:30am for us) my husband and I headed back to Ocracoke Island to the Harborside to pick up our belongings. The ferry was backed up and we had to wait almost 2 hours. At 10:58am I called Gail at the front desk and told her we were 5 minutes away and wanted to get our belongings and she said that that was fine and commented that it is definitely better to pack your own belongings. We arrived within 5 minutes and were horrified and dismayed to find that our personal belongings were sitting outside the room with the room already cleaned and made up for other guests. The Harborside employees went into our room before check-out time and removed everything and proceeded to clean our room. They put our belongings in bags and left them and our suitcases, including GPS, cell phone, and electronics worth hundreds of dollars outside our room available to anyone walking by. After a sleepless night, the trauma of the ER experience and the insensitivity of the Harborside, I was ready to leave Ocracoke and would never recommend this motel. I paid in excess of $120 for the room; however, my belongings were removed without my consent or knowledge before checkout time. Also, we wanted to use the restroom in the room after the long drive back there and they told me that I could not because it was already cleaned…unbelievable!! Besides the above, the room was very outdated, the tan tub was broken and patched with white plaster, and the efficiency definitely needed some repairs … so disappointing!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank moogo
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 February 2011

We Have been going to Ocracoke for many years. We have stayed at other hotels but once we stayed at the Harborside, we haven't stayed anywhere else. We always stay on the 2nd floor, in the end room (away from the street). Our room has always been clean and comfortable. We get great wireless service in our room. The continental breakfast is delicious! We love the bagels and our daughter loves the scones! We enjoy relaxing on the deck, next to the office. We go in the office and chat with Cindy and she never rushes us or makes us feel unwelcome. In fact, Cindy usually tells me to relax and slow down!

For all of you complainers about this establishment, here are a few words for you: There are no hairdryers. You are at the beach-you don't need one. The bathroom may be small, but it is clean and what do you need in addition to a tub/shower, toilet and a sink? If you complain about the hotel not placing soap and shampoo in the bathroom.....next time, pack your own. The rooms are dated, but they are clean and comfortable. You are on vacation to sightsee and go to the beach; not spend the day on your room. You have Embassy suite desires on a Super8 budget. Stop complaining!

This is a wonderful place and we will come back here year after year! Thank you to the owners, Cindy and the rest of the staff for making your place a wonderful success!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank maryweigl
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 September 2010

When I entered my room at 11:30 pm for my 3-night stay there were 4 live bugs in the room...a stink bug, a fly, a moth and some other flying carpenter ant type of bug. I managed to kill 3 of them in the next two hours but I never could get the fly. It was 4 a.m. before I got to sleep. The next morning I decided to gather up the now-dead bugs in a wash cloth and bring them to the office. I showed the desk clerk. She said they had never had a bug complaint, they don't have bugs and the maid had never seen a bug in any room either. I asked for one night's compensation since I had had no sleep and she said she would call the owner. I left the office and then she called me in my room and said that the owner said since I was unhappy and I was "irritable", the owner said I could be out of the room by noon. I said let me get this straight, you're kicking me out of the hotel. Cindy said "that's about it." I am a single woman traveling alone and to be treated this way is unimaginable. I said I would advise AAA of this and she said "we'll send the bugs to AAA." I will never go back to Ocracke for any reason.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank traveler673
New Mexico
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Harborside Motel is definitely not a five-star hotel, and also not on the harbor (lake.) We stayed for two nights after checking out of our rented cottage. It was a great location. The room was clean, but needs to be updated. Everything except the TV was old looking. There was no clock in the room. The a/c worked well. The bathroom was small but functional. There was no hair dryer and they do not supply shampoo, lotion, etc. The continental breakfast was a carb overload: oatmeal packets (I never did find the milk,) bagels and sweet rolls. No fresh fruit, which was a disappointment. The staff was wonderful. There aren't a lot of choices for accommodations in Ocracoke and for the price I guess this is what you get. This is why I would recommend it to a friend. Most of the other hotels/motels were fully booked.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 41grandma
DarienJim
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We book a last minute trip to Ocracoke with four teenage kids for three rooms. All the rooms where clean and the beds were soft but not firm. My wife and I got room 9 which was at the end of the building overlooking the road and the harbor. Contrary to the name, the Harborside is not on the harbor but across the street. The pictures seemed to indicate it was on the water. They do have a private dock you can sit on after chasing the birds away and trying to find a non-poopy seat. Internet connection did not work at room 9 but rooms 4 and 5 did get a strong signal, so the router must be in the middle of the building. Their is a continental breakfast but the OJ was completely sour. Rooms had small bathrooms but were sufficient. Our A/C was very loud. All in all, a very friendly couple operating a very clean place conveniently located but this is not a five star hotel/motel, but from what I saw, there are not a lot of options.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
Sea Gull Motel
#4 of 5 in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#9 of 16 in Hatteras Island

Been to The Harborside Motel? Share your experiences!