“Relax at the beach with a feeling of being welcomed home”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
The Harborside Motel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
“Relax at the beach with a feeling of being welcomed home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

The staff of Harborside Motel & Gift Shop will make you feel at home the instant you enter to check in. Always friendly and efficient, they go beyond the service level you can expect at most beach rentals. The rooms in the motel (16) and the cottage (2) are very clean, neat, and comfortable; the grounds are well maintained. The porch on the cottage is the main drawing card in my selection of a room there versus the motel where the rooms are larger; the view of the lake and the people watching are superb (although I do wish the snack stand across the street was perpendicular to the road.)

The cottage rooms feature a queen size bed and a refrigerator; although these rooms are cozy they are not cramped. In the motel rooms are spacious and also have a covered porch. Most of the extended family stays there; we always book at least one of the efficiencies.

Harborside is well located so that walking to restaurants and shops is easy. To me relaxing at the beach has a name: the Harborside in Ocracoke.

Room Tip: The cottage rooms are more private but smaller. The motel rooms make it easy to socialize. Beds are...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sue W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
clay aity, ky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

We have stayed here on two different visits to Ocracoke and really have enjoyed it . It is a clean, cozy motel with a wonderful front porch overlooking the harbor. The owners are very friendly and helpful and I would stay there anytime I visit. You can walk to all the attractions in the village or rent a bicycle to ride around town. Ocracoke Island is one of the most unique places that I have visited. I cherish the special memories of trips here and staying at the Harborside!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kytraveler58
Hixson, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

We just returned from our third trip to Ocracoke, and it was definitely our best visit. From the beginning, when we booked the three day visit at Harborside, Gail, in the front office, was so friendly and helpful. I had to call her several times with questions and not once did she make me feel like a pest. When we got to the island, her husband, Bill, even picked us up from the airport!

When we arrived at the motel, we thought that our bikes, which we had rented ahead of time through a bike rental company on the island, had not arrived. Cindy, from the Harborside front office as well, called the rental company AFTER HOURS and tracked down our bikes for us!

Aside from the friendly service and helpfulness from the staff at Harborside, we couldn't have been happier with our room. It was very clean and perfect for our long weekend get-away. Even though the motel was at full capacity, we didn't have one problem with noise or aggravation. One night we even sat outside of our room on the porch and enjoyed the summer thunderstorm!

We also loved the fact that Harborside is located directly across the street from the harbor. The motel even owns a private deck filled with chairs where you can enjoy the sunset (or sunrise!)

We will definitely stay at Harborside for our next visit to Ocracoke. We have been home for three days and miss it already!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank McLynne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

The only redeeming quality of the "cottage" rooms 17-18 is the private porch. You don't even get a good look of the harbor because the owners have used a vacant lot next door to house they'rslept e little treat stand. Which, in my opinion, has the best raspberry white chocolate scone I have ever had. The room is very small, and the bed is easiest the worst bed I ever slept on. Abd, it just didn't feel clean. Not that it wansn't, it was just in a, very old building, and you could feel it all around you.We stayed in this room for three nights, then were moved to room 9, a king room on the top corner end of the main motel. Now this is the room we wished we had reserved. This room was much bigger, fresh smelling, had a better view, a MUCH better bed, and a tv with a built in DVD player. A nice feature in Ocracoke, where the sidewalks get rolled up at 930 every night. If you stay in room nine, or request it make sure you ask if the ac has been fixed, trust me. It was so loud, it woke us up everytime it came on. Just to make it clear, we did enjoy our stay, and will stay here again, but this time in the main building, and only in room nine if the ac has been fixed.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank BrettM1976
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

We came here to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. This was the perfect place! We loved the cottage front porch and the deck on the harbor. The staff were attentive, helpful, and very friendly. They helped make our visit delightful and yes, we will be back.

Cindy and John Balaam
Columbia, SC

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johncindy2
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

My husband and I and our friends, rented the two front units. They were decorated so cute and were very clean. We enjoyed sitting on the front porch, watching all of the boats, birds and people. We only wish we could have stayed another night. Their gift shop has so many cute and interesting items. Thank you for abeautiful experience.
Bruno, Nonie, Ted & Martha

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Nonieboloney
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

Without our knowledge or consent, all of our belongings were removed from our room and left on the second story shared walkway/balcony prior to check-out time!

My elderly Dad and his wife accompanied my husband and me to Okracoke Island on the way back to Atlanta from a vacation to Outer Banks. We were able to get 2 rooms at the Harborside for the night. The desk clerks were very friendly and provided us with information on medical services on the island, the motel emergency number and info on the deck over the harbor. We enjoyed the deck, although it is across the street from the rooms. The room my Dad and his wife had was facing the harbor, had a front porch, but was across the street from the harbor. My husband I stayed in an efficiency with a shared walkway/balcony as that was all they had left. During the night, we had to call 911 for my Dad and he was transported via ambulance to the ferry and then over 1.5 hours away to the ER at Outer Banks Hospital in Nag’s Head. I called the Harborside Motel Emergency # in the early morning hours to notify them that we didn’t have time to pack before following the ambulance but would be back by checkout time. When my Dad was discharged after spending the entire night in the ER, I again called the motel number and confirmed that we would be back to get our belongings. After the discharge from ER and dropping my Dad and wife at the Travelodge in Nag’s Head (a wonderful place by the way, they got a room ready at 7:30am for us) my husband and I headed back to Ocracoke Island to the Harborside to pick up our belongings. The ferry was backed up and we had to wait almost 2 hours. At 10:58am I called Gail at the front desk and told her we were 5 minutes away and wanted to get our belongings and she said that that was fine and commented that it is definitely better to pack your own belongings. We arrived within 5 minutes and were horrified and dismayed to find that our personal belongings were sitting outside the room with the room already cleaned and made up for other guests. The Harborside employees went into our room before check-out time and removed everything and proceeded to clean our room. They put our belongings in bags and left them and our suitcases, including GPS, cell phone, and electronics worth hundreds of dollars outside our room available to anyone walking by. After a sleepless night, the trauma of the ER experience and the insensitivity of the Harborside, I was ready to leave Ocracoke and would never recommend this motel. I paid in excess of $120 for the room; however, my belongings were removed without my consent or knowledge before checkout time. Also, we wanted to use the restroom in the room after the long drive back there and they told me that I could not because it was already cleaned…unbelievable!! Besides the above, the room was very outdated, the tan tub was broken and patched with white plaster, and the efficiency definitely needed some repairs … so disappointing!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank moogo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
Sea Gull Motel
#4 of 5 in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#9 of 15 in Hatteras Island

Been to The Harborside Motel? Share your experiences!