“Stinky Hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
The Harborside Motel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Stephens City, Virginia
“Stinky Hotel”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have stayed at several places around the island but this one will never see me again! When we walked in the door the stench of mold hit us in the face along with a ton of flies. The room even had a flyer swatter in it. The toilet was running when we got there and never stopped. Our food spoiled in the 1980's fridge. It was warm in the morning when I wanted to eat it before getting on the ferry. :( After having stayed at another motel for the first part of the trip that was about 30 bucks cheaper and so much nicer, I was definitely disappointed in the Harborside and would advise others to try to stay somewhere else if you can.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank YummyTravelsX2

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Harborside is an island motel that may seem dated but it is (and always has been clean and comfortable for us, this being our sixth trip). We favor the second floor, room 9, which has a king bed. All the rooms have a refridge and ac, which can be loud .They have complementary coffee, juice and breads in the morning. The location can't be beat, walk the village and enjoy the shops, wonderful restaurants and then sit and enjoy the view on the Harborsides' dock.

Room Tip: 9 and 10 are the only rooms with king beds all other rooms have two double beds.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mck71brooks
Middletown, Indiana
Reviewed 10 January 2014

ok-I just read the review that someone said "no one wanted the cottage"-wrong. I have been coming to Ocracoke over 20 years-if we don't rent a house we stay at the Harborside-and the cottage is always the preference. We were here in September of 2013-hadn't stayed in a few years. New paint,decorated nicely. I agree-pillows could be better-but we generally bring our own, even when we rent houses as that just seems to be a fairly common problem when you're off the beaten track a bit. Overall-very comfortable. The cottage gives a little added privacy is the reason it is our preference. Please remember-this IS an older motel-it's not perfect. Clocks are available at the motel desk at no charge (seems people have actually removed them when leaving so they just give them to you if you ask for one now). As far as clean- they did a fantastic job every day-the only smell that bothered me was that is was obvious outside that cats were around certain places-and I just didn't care-it's outside after all-and I love cats!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GeneandDamita
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

No - really - nothing! Except it has all become 25 years older. The carpeting, the drapery, the bathrooms - as if time stood still -except a lot of people have come & gone since then. No coffee pot provided. No microwave. An old small TV. The internet service is unattainable. No hair dryer. I doubt we will be back in 25 years but if we were, it wouldn't be to stay here again. Not cheap either - $88 with AAA discount.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank trawlerdoxie
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This hotel had no pictures on the hotel web page of what the rooms looked like, so it was one of my last choices. But, none of the other hotels I had called had any vacancy. As soon as the lady that answered told me she had a room available, I snatched it up. It was only after that I looked it up on this website and read the reviews. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a very friendly woman (the same one everyone speaks of on these reviews) and she walked us outside of the office and pointed to where we would be staying. It was one of the cottage rooms, which she immediately told us how lucky we were to be staying in because "people literally plan their trips around these rooms". Now, I had read these reviews and I knew it was quite the contrary, that nobody wanted those rooms and I was little surprised she hadn't told me over the phone that we wouldn't be staying in the actual hotel. When we walked in, we noticed the odd smell everyone talks about. It's almost a sour, mildew like smell. The AC wasn't working, (it was on 75 when we got there, and after turning it down, it never got any cooler), the refrigerator didn't keep anything cold, the WIFI wouldn't even register as being available to connect, the pillows were just sad, and the TV was a joke (very fuzzy and the channels that did come in were barely viewable). After the first VERY uncomfortable night of sleep and getting ate up by mosquitoes because we had to have the window open due to the broken AC (and mind you the screen in the window was broke) , we went to the office and asked to be moved because even at $100 a night (which is on the low end for Ocracoke) I felt like we were getting a bad deal. The lady was VERY nice and said that someone hadn't showed up so she would move us to another room free of charge. This room was better, the AC worked, the WIFI registered, the TV was a little better, as well as the fridge. Now, if that room hadn't been available, this review could have been very different because I'm not sure that she would have refunded our money and we would have had no where else to stay on the island. That being said, avoid the cottage, and don't expect a GREAT room even if you are in the hotel. It's a shame, because the cottage is very cute, but it just isn't maintained. Also, I recommend bringing your own pillows and even blanket, because of the odd smell and the pillows are very flat.

Room Tip: Make sure when making reservations to request a room in the actual hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Let me start off by saying that we always book pricey hotels in Boston, London, NYC, San Fran....and so on and so on......so what do we do when we want to book a last minute room? You take what they have. We were fortunate that we found The Harborside Motel that didn't require a minimum two night stay. We needed one night, they had it, we booked, we stayed and enjoyed it. It was in the heart of the action with a nice restaurant two door down. Plenty of shops, ice cream, pubs, nearby as well. the room itself was roomy, with two beds, tv, fridge and nice size bathroom. Now, the previous reviews you read about a lack of amenities is correct. Glad we brought our own soap and shampoo. the ac unit was loud but cant complain since we were comfortable. From our point of view, we saved a couple of hundreds dollars, slept, showered, ate a nice dinner and bought a few items at local gift shops and came home with money left over. There were many families with children but as a whole, the place was very quiet. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kadams49
B, Florida
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

Well, anyone that said this place was great must have stayed in some real dumps. Maybe $100 a night is great in Ocracoke but it does not get you much....no clock,soap as thin as a credit card, musty bedspreads,no coffee maker, I could go on. Can't wait to see "breakfast" . This place is 1980 basic including the TV. Tolerable, but don't believe the glowing reviews.

Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Judy and Allan S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
Sea Gull Motel
#4 of 5 in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#9 of 16 in Hatteras Island

Been to The Harborside Motel? Share your experiences!