Pam's Pelican Bed & Breakfast
The Breakwater Inn(Hatteras Island)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbeach chairsgolf carthome away from homewelcoming placelate septemberwonderful hostsrooms are comfortablea hootlaid back atmospheregreat place to staywithin easy walking distancemini fridgecoffee potvisiting ocracokedalecoolerpams
Reviewed 2 December 2013

pet friendly. Pam takes gourmet breakfast requests and loans her golf cart. she provided all the comforts of home....fire place ( wood provided), ice, board games, DVDs,living room,kitchen, etc. outside lovely garden, gazebo, balconies, fire pit ( wood provided). Pam is extremely layed back.....out of site until needed or breakfast. Pam called to report expensive electronics forgotten in room after checkout. Pams has warm, inviting, island state of mind atmosphere.

Room Tip: Deep Blue is the room we were in
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Pamspelican, Owner at Pam's Pelican Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you very much for your visit & good review! Guests like ya'll make my "job" even more enjoyable! Thanks so much, Pam

Reviewed 12 October 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at Pam's. The first was for my wifes birthday. We had the Zen room that time and it was amazing with the view and the spiral staircase to the roof and all the way to the yard. We stayed in the Dreamcatcher this past visit due to the Zen being booked. This one was quite unique with the shower head being a large conch shell. The rooms are very clean and well kept. The rooms have microwaves, coffee makers, and refrigerators. She also has beach chairs, coolers, and bikes for all the guests while many places on the island offer rental on all these items. It is located close enough to everything to either walk or use a bike. Now the best part of the whole trip is her hospitality and those amazing breakfasts. She is very laid back making breakfast with six complete strangers very rewarding. We are planning to come back next year for a whole week.

Room Tip: Zen room is the best.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Pamspelican, Owner at Pam's Pelican Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Heck yeah! I hope you bring your family & friends(rent the entire house!). I look foreward to seeing ya'll again, that was a fun week for me also! Thanks, Pam

Reviewed 11 October 2013

When we booked this trip, we hadn't even seen the great reviews. I was looking for pet-friendly places on the island, and ended up calling three for rates. The rates were all comparable, but we decided to go with Pam's because it was Bed and Breakfast, so we figured if all three had comparable prices, we'd go with the one that included breakfast.

The week of our Trip, Pam called to let us know that the storm (what was left of Karen) would be gone and that, even though the government shut-down had closed most of the things we wanted to see on the Outer Banks, we could still walk on the beaches here in Ocracoke. Everytime I spoke with her she was extremely nice.

You've probably already read, but beach chairs, a cooler, bikes, and golf carts are all available for guest use! There's a lovely living room/game room downstairs with books, puzzles, and games - very family friendly. I already knew I'd write a favorable review, but then something happened tonight that definitely made it a "done deal". We had gotten our dog, Roxie, one of those hollow bones filled with peanut butter from a grocery store in Nag's Head. She's had these before. but this time she got her bottom jaw stuck INSIDE the bone! We couldn't get it off! Pam was very helpful - she gave us a phone number to call of someone who may be able to help (there's no vet on the island), looked up the emergency vet's number in Manteo, and gave us tools to try to get it off. The whole time we were trying to get it off, she was trying to think of ways to help. After about a half hour, we did get the bone off and Roxie's great, but I thought it was great that Pam was so involved!

We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, but next time we hope to get Deep Blue or Zen Sunrise so that we have access to the second floor balcony!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you Thank you! I was soooo glad that Roxie ended up being fine & enjoyed ya'll visit very much! I look foreward to seeing all three of you again soon! Thanks, Pam

Reviewed 5 October 2013

I have stayed at many B&Bs and this one wins for my lowest rating. Not that anything was particularly bad, but the service and physical setting could use some TLC. Some of my suggestions for improvements: 1. greet your guests when they arrive. A sticky note doesn't cut it. A host who doesn't introduce herself to her guests doesn't make them feel welcome. 2. Buy softer toilet paper. 3. Replace dirty towels and make beds daily. 4. Don't smoke at a non-smoking B&B. 5. Restrict rogue people from coming in and out, or at least have them introduce themselves.
Overall it was a good but somewhat weird experience. I did like the breakfast, not fancy but adequate. Also enjoyed use of bikes and golf carts.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank MeisPeg40
Pamspelican, Owner at Pam's Pelican Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Wow! I am sooo sorry that I did not meet your Ocracoke standards! House keeping is available upon request, as stated on Info. sheet posted in each room. I do occasionally have errands to run & therefore have to leava a note. My breakfasts normally speak for themselves... Again, I am sooo sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. Pam

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Pam's Bed and Breakfast is a quaint and unique place to stay. I went with my best friend and we were probably the youngest travelers when we were there; however, I enjoyed talking to the others during breakfast. This was a girls only weekend and I left my kids behind! My friend and I stayed in the Zen room, but that was not the original room we booked. However, this was the room we wanted when we tried to book so we ended up being lucky. We went during the off season on the same weekend the island had a 5k race. The Zen room was nice, with a fridge and coffee pot. It also had a futon in the room, which my friend slept on while I took the queen bed. I loved my bed, but my friend said the futon was ok. There is a door that opens up to the deck, which is shared with the room next to us. We had the pleasure of meeting an elderly couple who was their for a friends wedding. This room and deck is on the second floor. We spent the night on the deck drinking rum punch and listening to the party happening at the bar across the street. I tried to talk my friend into going, but no such luck. You can not hear the bar once you are in the room so this was a relief. Breakfast was phenomenal! All the bacon you want (I LOVE bacon!) and choices, such as fruit, yogurt, orange juice, coffee and then the main choice of breakfast, such as pancakes. The second day we ate we had the pleasure of talking to Pam longer than we had before and talked with her boyfriend and learning more about the island. Pam has grills in the front yard and my friend and I decided we were going to try and grill some chicken and pineapple shish kabobs. Pam provided us with the items we forgot, such as oven mitt, cooking spray and tongs. My friend and I had no Idea what we were doing! On the last day, I didn't realized I didn't book the ferry until one so we had some time to kill. We didn't want to pay the crazy fees down the street for a golf cart and decided to ask Pam if hers was for rent. She allowed my friend and I to use it for free! We did give her an extra tip for letting us use the golf cart for free, that was extremely nice of her. We spent those extra hours riding around to the lighthouse, the different neighborhoods and shopping. I scared the crap out of me friend because I have never driven one before and I sure didn't know what I was doing.
All in all, Pam accommodated our needs from the extra things needed for the grill and letting us use the golf cart. This made our stay fun and I will definitely be back, with my husband this time!!

Room Tip: We loved the Zen room. It faces the street and it is on the second level of the house so if you decide to come in late, there is a winding staircase outside that leads right to your room. I loved listening to the bar play music across the street; however, you can't hear the bar once you are in the room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Pamspelican, Owner at Pam's Pelican Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Heck yeah! The perfect place for a girls weekend! I also enjoyed ya'lls stay, please come again when you can stay longer! Thanks, Pam