“Step Back in time -- lovely”
Review of Bluff Shoal Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Bluff Shoal Motel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Richmond, Virginia
“Step Back in time -- lovely”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

They were able to work me in the week before I was to head to the island with friends. I wanted to stay the first couple days by myself and regroup and then move into the house with friends. This was perfect! Great location, clean, friendly. Right in the middle of it all but quiet at night. I would only stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank CrossroadsArtCenter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Galax VA
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My wife and I stayed one night at this charming retro 60's motel right on the waterfront. It only has seven rooms so grab one if you can! Room was clean and management was friendly and helpful. Location is convenient to everything. We parked our car and walked most everywhere. Great restaurant for breakfast and supper right across the street. Best part was walking out to the deck in back right on the harbor to enjoy a bottle of wine and the sunset! Get back to a slower way of life from the old Outer Banks and stay At Bluff Shoal.

Room Tip: Ask for room # 7 for great view of the lighthouse and harbor out the back window.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
washington state
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Retro strip motels can be hit or miss on quality and cleanliness. Bluff Shoal was a hit! Situated right on the main street, everything is within a mile and the rooms were clean and surprisingly roomy. you can either sit on the porch in front of your room and people watch or go out back and watch the sun set from the chairs on the bay. We wish we could have spent more time. The staff was very friendly as well.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank s00caa
Kodak, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I just tried calling this motel to make a reservation. It appeared my call dropped 3 times (it just quit ringing) so I called back again each time after a few minutes. The gentleman finally answered on the 4th call and instead of politely askinng if I could call back a little later as he was busy, he just said "you're calling at a bad time & I don't like your introduction either" ( I assume because I called back several times thinking my call had dropped). So I will not be booking at this motel despite what previous reviews say because I didn't like his customer service introduction either!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MountainNan
Wayne G, Manager at Bluff Shoal Motel, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
The management apologizes for the misunderstanding. The phone call was dropped 3 times and since there was no human voice response on our end of the line, I hung up the phone. I honestly thought this was a solicitation call through an automated-robotic phone system and not a person on the line. The caller-id was also listed as an unknown caller. If I felt there was an actual person on the line, I would not have hung up. Please accept my apologies.
Manteo, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This hotel was absolutely fantastic. I loved my stay here and would definitely stay again. When we arrived there was a problem with the air conditioner in our room. Not only was it fixed promptly, but the management was also incredibly friendly and nice. The rooms were modest, but incredibly clean (something that is VERY important to me when staying in a hotel). The hotel is in a great location and close to most of Ocracoke's main attractions.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I stayed at Bluff Shoals for my second night in O'coke. I could not get a room two nights in a row but they had a Friday night open. LOVED it! Old school kind of room. Clean and comfortable as can be. No AC needed when I was there and good cross ventilation with open, screened windows. I could see the harbor from the back window. This place seems to be at the center hub of the village. I parked my car and never moved it. Had my bike which I could keep near the steps (but not up by the railing). In the evening, you can sit on the white wood chairs outside and hear the live music over at Dajio. It has only what you need and not anymore - really simplifies your stay. I'm already planning how I can stay a week there next year!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 84Hokie
Havelock, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Had friends visiting from England so wanted to spend a couple days on the Outer Banks. This motel is nicely located near the ferry and places to eat. The motel will remind you of the early 60's with parking in front of your door. The rooms are basic but have cable tv. We liked sitting in the backyard over looking Silver Lake and having the lighthouse as a beacon late into the night.

Staff was very friendly would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank RTWorld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
The Breakwater Inn
#4 of 5 in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#9 of 16 in Hatteras Island

Been to Bluff Shoal Motel? Share your experiences!