“Good value great location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Silver Lake Motel & Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
The Silver Lake Motel & Inn
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
USA
“Good value great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

This was my second time staying here. My complaint from my previous stay was soft beds. My bed was much better this time around although a friend in another room said her bed was too soft. My advice is to call them when you book the room and let them know you need a good bed. This place has a fabulous location. The decor is a bit dated but who really cares as you spend very little time in your room. They have fabulous front porches so it's worth paying the extra to to get one. The staff is great.

Room Tip: My advice is to call them when you book the room and let them know you need a good bed.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank halfgreen
OcracokeBeachBum, Rental Manager Ocracoke Island Realty. at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Sorry for the late reply but thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience! We do agree that we have a wonderful location! Thank you for choosing the Silver Lake Motel and Inn and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Santee, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

Under newer ownership, they are doing it right. We stayed in the second floor suite shown on this picture, great view and service. Rooms were being renovated. Newer mattress a bit hard for my taste but ok for one night. Rooms were very clean and Island was charming

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank socaltraveler2012
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Thanks so much! We agree we have one of the best views on the island. We worked very hard during the renovation process to make the inn as comfortable and welcoming as possible. I appreciate you letting us know we are doing it right. We hope you are able to make it back to Ocracoke and to the Silver Lake Motel and Inn.
Kalispell, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

The Silver Lake Motel and Inn is the perfect spot to stay in Orcacoke. It is right on the harbor, across the street from a Harbor Front Restaurant and the Marina. There is an ice cream parlor/coffee shop/bike rental next door to the hotel. (Renting a bike is a perfect way to see the village, and have easy access to the beach). There is also a surf shop right down the street which rents surfboards, kayaks, and SUP's. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a small simple continental breakfast. The hotel is somewhat rustic, but clean. It reminded me of the guest room at my grandparents house. There is no elevators, but that is part of the charm. The best part... the hammocks on the balcony's of the harbor front rooms in one of the hotel buildings. Sigh. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Stacy L
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
I loved that you wrote that your room "...reminded me of the guest room at my grandparents house". We do strive to make sure our guests are comfortable and feel welcome here on the island. We think we have the perfect location on Ocracoke too...and thank you for staying with us and for your kind comments. Hopefully you will come back soon.
Willow Spring, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

We stopped in to check on a room and I was greeter by a nice gentleman that let me look at one room and told me they also had a little larger room if I would be interested. After making sure we could book the ferry for the following day to Swan's Quarter (get a reservation!) we went back and took the larger room.

The room was rustic but, clean. It had 2 beds with a tv and fridge. It isn't a Hampton Inn or anything like that (which is where we normally stay) but, it served our purpose. We all liked it. I would stay here again based on location and our experience.

I do agree with another reviewer that carrying your stuff up the steps are the pits! If I had an extended I would want to stay on the bottom!

Room Tip: No elevator, steps only. If that is an issue you will want to request a room on the lower level.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Beachn
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Thanks for the reminder to others about the ferry to Swan Quarter...I am sure that will be a useful tip. We appreciate your review and were glad to hear you found the room clean and in order. You are right, this is not a Hampton Inn...and we think the majority of our guests like it just the way it is. Please come back when you are able to spend more time here. Thanks again.
Nags Head, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

The wife and I stayed here for a quick visit, our room over looked the harbour and the room was very clean. It is in a perfect location to everything, we took our bikes down with us and rode everywhere. Staff was very friendly, we are looking forward to going back in about a month.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jim W
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Bikes are a great way to get around the island, that is for sure. We are glad to hear you had a good time and hopefully when you return you can stay a little longer. Thank you for your review here.
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

We got off the ferry and had booked one night at this hotel. It is definitely rustic, but all in all suited us fine for the one night. The big downfall was having to hike everything up the rickety wooden stairs to the second story. There was a ramp on the main story from the parking lot. If you have any larger items it could definitely be an issue getting them to your room if you are on the second floor. They give you a continental breakfast in the office starting at 8 AM, but we were gone by 7:30 AM so I cannot comment on the adequacy of that.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of stuff to take to your room, ask for the main floor. They do accept pets on the...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AliceFod
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
We appreciate the tip you gave abut the first floor rooms and the pet friendly information too. Thanks for sharing that. You are right; Silver Lake Motel and Inn is not fancy...however we do feel we provide a clean room at a fair price in a great location on Ocracoke. Sorry you missed the breakfast but hopefully you will come back and be able to stay a little longer next time. Thanks for staying with us and for your review here.
Huntersville, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012 via mobile

I was only staying on the island one night, after a friend's wedding. When I arrived I was unable to check in due to the time, so I arranged for a late check in ( your key gets left in an envelope in a maibox on the porch). Returning from the wedding around 1130 pm I collected my key & turned in for the night. The toilet in my room had gunk on the seat from not being wiped well after being cleaned. Then you had to hold down the handle until the toilet flushed all the way. Going to bed the sheets had a strange oder. When I woke in the morning I noticed several bites that I initially thought were mosquitoe bites, as they looked the same. As I was flying out that am, I opted to wait until the comfort of my own home to shower. When I got home I noticed even more bites all across my side that itched terribly. Doing some research on-line, they fit the pattern & description of bed-bug bites to a t. I sent an email to the Inn informing them of the issue, but after 5 days have yet to get any kind of response. At $100 a night I expected better treatment than this. Fortunately no bugs tagged a ride home with me, but someone else might not be so lucky. Be warned, do not stay here

Stayed September 2012
4 Thank Rtmom
oldobxer, Rental Manager Ocracoke Island Realty at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
We take this very seriously and any suspected problems are immediately investigated. The property has been checked and does not have bed bugs. Silver Lake is also on monthly pest control service so all rooms and suites are checked routinely. The local licensed pest control professionals have reported that many people are very sensitive to other biting insects common to coastal communities and this may be what you experienced. We're sorry you had a problem, but we can assure you it is not bed bugs.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
The Breakwater Inn
The Breakwater Inn
#6 of 11 in Hatteras Island
Village Motel
Village Motel
#4 of 5 in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Harbor Marina and Motel

Been to The Silver Lake Motel & Inn? Share your experiences!