The Silver Lake Motel & Inn
The Breakwater Inn(Hatteras Island)(Great Value!)
US$123
Travelocity
Sea Gull Motel(Hatteras Island)
US$124
US$112
All reviewsthe jolly rogerbagelscontinental breakfastwould stay here againdeck overlookingrocking chairshot waterawesome place to staywithin walking distanceliving areathe location is perfectcovered porchocracoke islandcoffee and juicefirst floorwonderful placebeautiful view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My family of four plus our small dog stayed here Aug 15, 16th.
We don't have many choices when traveling with the dog. So it's always nerve wracking to check into a pet room.

But we were happy.
It was clean. It had what we needed. (Maybe a microwave in the room would top it off, actually!)
It's nothing fancy. But we can't afford fancy. So for the price, this was good.
The beds were comfy. We all slept fine.
I did a bug check as I always do these days and found nothing. So that's good!
The only bugs were the millions of mosquitoes outside. But that's island life. Lol.

It was a GREAT location. Right in the heart of the action. Right across from the Jolly Roger restaurant/pub, which we love.
The sunset from there is breathtaking, too. (Unfortunately it was cloudy these days.)

The staff were friendly from my first call to check out. They were helpful and smiling.

The coolest part of the stay was the continental breakfast in the morning.
I've personally never seen one quite like this! It had everything "continental-ish" you could think of! I would call it a "continental buffet".
We're used to a plate of small muffins and little pints of orange juice.
Well, this was like a smorgasboard!!
There were muffins, pastries, a few different juices, coffee, pints of milk, fruit, bagels, a toaster, butter, cream cheese, a variety of mini cereals.......probably more I'm forgetting.
I don't like to wake early, but I did for this!!
We loved the breakfast!!
Great job with that!
And there was a microwave there too, so if we really needed it, we could have used that.

We would stay here again. No problems. No complaints. I hope we DO come again.
Just remember, it's nothing fancy. It's your standard motel room. Some people are so picky about not having a flat screen TV or the right colored walls....you're in Ocracoke! Who cares!
(There is a TV, and cable, fyi!) We didn't really try the wi-fi, so I can't say how that was. I think the kids tried it and it worked. You ask for the password at the office.

Hope to be back! :-)

• Stayed: August 2013
obxjm, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

"...we were happy." That is what we like to hear. You are right, we are not fancy here but our beds are comfortable, the rooms are clean and the location is the best. I especially like it that you mentioned our friendly and helpful staff. Thank you.

We hope you are able to come back again...soon and as often as possible.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

In the running for the worst hotel my wife and I have ever stayed in. We were in the three story building and couldn't wait to leave. We only spent one night, thankfully. The box springs on the bed were so loose they sounded like all the frame was rubbing anytime either of us moved. The mattress was likewise and covered with an eggcrate foam that didn't fill the sway in the middle. The furniture was decrepit and worn, bath was straight from the '80's, lights didn't work, just an old rundown hotel that's hadn't been changed since Blackbeard slept there. The continental breakfast was minimal. Ice for your room came from the refrigerator/freezer in the office in a zip lock bag. I will say, the staff were as nice as they could be. No problems there. Just the owners need to rehab the place.

Room Tip: Find someplace else.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ColeAZ

I am so sorry you had such a bad night with us. I am going to try to determine which room you stayed in so we can address the issues you mentioned. While we know every review is not going to be "glowing" I was surprised at how dissatisfied you were and again offer our sincere apologies.

I do thank you for posting, even though it was hard to read, it does help us make our inn better when we know of issues that need to be fixed.

Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

we had a 3rd floor room with a great view and a hammock on the porch the lights on the porch did not work when we entered the bathroom there was a dirty towel in front of the shower the grout and the tiling on the floor you could see the mold it was dirty some of the light sockets for broken in the room the only one tabletop lamp so the lighting was poor the television would go in and out on channels about every 5 minutes we're glad we only stayed one night I would not stay there again

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank stglide

Ouch...there is absolutely no excuse for finding a dirty towel on the bathroom floor or for any of the other things you mentioned. I am very sorry that you had such a bad experience. There is nothing else I can say.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

my husband and I just came back from ocracoke.we did not want to leave. wonderful location. the room was super clean. i am sensitive to dust so I know when I am surrounded by it. this room was spotless. not a piece of dust anywhere. hard wood floors were nice. large porch with chairs over looking the harbor and village. some rooms have hammocks.no microwave.so what. we didn't need it .does have a fridge.i have seen some reviews complaining about the shampoo. really? my advice on that. .Pack your favorite shampoo and body wash. some complained about wifi..well I didn't take my computer . i was busy enjoying the clean beach with nothing but sand and sky and ocean and beauty as far as the eye can see. when we weren't on the beach we were just RELAXING. just watching how slow everyone is moving and how simple life can be. if you are the type person that cant enjoy simple beauty and tranquility then you wont like this motel or this island. but if you want a simple worry freeing, mind clearing ,relaxing time looking around and taking a deep breath and slowing life down just for a minute you will enjoy the island and the motel.i am picky about where I stay and I can tell when people cut corners on cleaning a room. this was CLEAN. we loved the location. my only complaint is I wish we could have stayed longer.and by the way I don't travel with my pets but if you do this place is pet friendly.even has a special place for walking your pet. honest when I saw on the internet it was pet friendly I was almost turned of because I was afraid of getting somewhere that smelt like dog urine or just doggy smell but have no fear.the air was fresh and clean.very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boosey
obxjm, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Well...Wow...thank you! This was a nice way to start my day, reading your review of the Silver Lake Motel and Inn. You captured what we are all about: the beauty and quiet charm of our lovely island. Relax, rest, rinse, repeat is my mantra and it sounds like you did just that. We especially like hearing that guests found our rooms clean, we really do work very hard at that.

Thank you for staying with us and we sincerely hope you will be able to come back and stay longer next time.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I've stayed here several times in Ocracoke, and I'm in love with the view from the rooms with harbor views. In the afternoon, the harbor truly turns into "Silver Lake"! The sunset and sunrises are beautiful right from your deck. The sunset suite is unique with a very long bar area (would be nice if you had a group staying for a gathering place) and a big open floor plan with comfortable sitting area. It stays cooler in the suite in July if you keep the curtains shut during the afternoon hours. It's nice being able to go up to the catwalk exclusively and we enjoyed watching the 4th of July parade from the balcony!

Room Tip: This room is great for 2 people.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lharris71
obxjm, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

We do have spectacular, amazing, wonderful sunrises and sunsets here on Ocracoke, and I never get tired of seeing them. I am happy to hear you had such a nice stay on the island and at the Silver Lake Motel and Inn. The Sunset Suite is very popular and I am glad you enjoyed it. Please come back to our little island and stay with us again. We appreciate your review here.