Sand Dollar Motel
Sea Gull Motel(Hatteras Island)
US$134
US$122
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsowners were friendlyno frillsnothing fancyrestaurants and shopsdollarspooljilltvislandratesfridgeporchhatterascottagefishingaccharm
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My sister, my nephew and I headed down to the island for a last minute trip. I have never stayed at this motel was very pleased. We were greeted by a super friendly manager who continued to wave to us each time he saw us throughout the trip. The room was like all other hotels I have stayed at on the island, a bit rustic but clean and served it's purpose. The only thing that stunk was the water pressure in the shower, it was very low. We didn't say anything to the staff to they may have been able to fix it if we had. The pool was really clean. It was located on a very quiet street but still close enough to walk or run all around the village. The price was nice too. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank YummyTravelsX2
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This is a nice bare-bones motel; perfect if you are on a budget but still want a clean, tidy, nice place to stay. We don't spend much time in the room and really just wanted a comfortable place to sleep.

Pros-
-parking
-within walking distance of everything
-friendly staff
-a nice pool area
-the air conditioning works
-little fridge in the rooms

Cons-
-No view
-The WiFi is spotty, so I ended up doing most of my work nearby at the coffee shop.

We would definitely stay here again, but if money were no issue we'd probably splurge for a hotel on the water.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cville12369
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I've been coming to Ocracoke at least once a year for many, many years now. The Sand Dollar is, by far, my favorite place to stay. It doesn't matter if it is your first visit or you are a veteran guest...Roger and Linda treat you like you are a guest in their home! My husband and I usually fly in to the air strip and call for a ride to the motel....They are always there within a few minutes and catch us up on local events, island growth, etc. The motel is immaculately clean without exception! The grounds and pool area are equally clean, well maintained and welcoming. I simply can't say enough about the comfort, cleanliness and hospitality!

My daughter was talking about Ocracoke today and I told her about my recent visit....we fondly remembered the time when, years ago, she left her beloved "puppy" (the stuffed animal that will be around forever) behind at the Sand Dollar following a summer visit. She was distraught! I called Roger and explained, asking him to please mail "Puppy" to us and I would gladly pay for shipping. As it happened, he was going to be making a visit to our hometown the following day and delivered Puppy to a local merchant for me.

I gladly recommend the Sand Dollar for a couples, solo, or family visit...it is truly a little slice of Heaven.

Room Tip: The queen suite is my favorite due to the privacy (enclosed patio) and the convenience of a kitchenette. It is on far side of the motel and the pool is just a few steps away. My favorite thing is the exquisite butcher-block table in the kitchenette! It must weigh a ton!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We had 4 days reserved at the Sand Dollar in April but had major weather issues and the ferries weren't running! We ended up 2 days late, which the wonderful Roger (manager) didn't charge us for. THEN, we got stuck ON the island with the SAME weather issues. Roger was kind enough to let us check out (and back in when the ferries weren't running) on a daily basis. We'd pack up when the ferries were running and get there and they'd shut down! Our unit 9, with 3 double beds and 2 bathrooms was perfect for us and immaculately clean. Roger was really wonderful to talk too and I've never felt so welcome at any other motel or hotel. Would love to return.

Room Tip: I was traveling with my mother and son so having three beds was fantastic (and really rare!)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BLMMacungie
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I decided to spend our vacation (4/7/14 - 4/11/14) doing a road trip of the OBX. We found this cute little motel in a brochure. What a jewel!! It was cute as a button and neat as a pin! Office staff was so friendly, room was spotless, beds were comfy, price was right! Would most definitely stay there again!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple