“Wonderful relaxed stay!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Edwards of Ocracoke
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Wonderful relaxed stay!”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

If you are into a chill place, Edwards is it! I stayed in a bungalow room - spotlessly clean and just what you need and no more. The decor was simple, practical, and restful. There is a small flat screen TV which I never turned on while I was there. WiFi and AC worked well. You could get ice for your ice bucket at the office each day and also get a bag of ice for just a buck. They thoughtfully have a 'cooler mat' to place your cooler on to catch the condensation. The bathroom only has a roomy shower which was very nice but I did miss a bathtub to soak in after a day of bike riding and walking. The small windows keep the room on the dark side but the porch with rocking chairs and side table is like an extension to your room space and I spent a good bit of time outside in the morning or evening. Coffee and simple breakfast was just down the street which I fetched on my bike each morning and consumed on the porch. I never moved my car the entire time I was there but used my bike. The staff were as nice as can be. I'll be going back next summer!

Room Tip: Any of the bungalow row rooms seem to be nice and all have the large porch, rocking chairs, and side...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed in a charming 1950s-like room in one of the buildings. The hotel is small and quaint and has a helpful, friendly staff. The building we stayed in was one story and had a big front porch shared by all the rooms. Each room had two rocking chairs out on the porch. It was very cozy and very quiet! We did not hear a peep from the porch or from the rooms surrounding us.

Not only was the location quiet, but it is within walking distance of a couple of places to eat, including the Flying Melon and a coffee place. Parking was never an issue.

We stayed in a queen room in one of the bungalows. In our room, there was no phone. I actually liked that a lot - adds to the peaceful atmosphere. There was also no refrigerator, but we didn't mind that. The bathroom lacked surface area (it has a pedestal sink), but it had a nice walk-in shower instead of a tub, which I highly prefer. The bathroom door was really loud and creaky, probably because it's humid and it's an old building.

I thought this place was priced very reasonably for the island, and I will most definitely stay there again. So quiet!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank satwhy
Shelby, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed in the efficiency room. It was perfectly clean and comfortable. There are no hotel or motel chains on Ocracoke so individually owned places like this are all there are to choose from. Edwards was completely fuss-free and quiet. The 10pm to 7am posted quiet times seemed to be fully complied with by the other guests. The shower was not "too small for a child" as one reviewer claimed. The TV is small and hard to hear from its location across the room but that is nit piking for a place that I can say little against. All that and we only paid $90 a night in season. You can't really ask for more. I would definitely come back, but I would rent one of the rooms with a frig and microwave because the restaurants on Ocracoke were very hit and miss. (see my other reviews). The only other thing I can remember wishing for was a place to prop my foot in the shower so I could shave more easily. Again, nit picking to even think of any complaints. There's really no reason to even consider another place to stay.

Room Tip: If you do choose an efficiency room, note the lack of any appliances. No iron, hair dryer, coffee po...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Romelle B
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We rented a cottage(#19) for a week and really loved it. Our cottage was like a small apartment with 2 bedrooms, bathroom, living room with dining area and kitchen. If you stay in this unit(not sure about the other units), bring fans for the bedrooms as the A/C doesn't quite cool off the bedrooms like we wanted. Other than that and the very small shower it was wonderful for us(2 adults 2 kids). We really loved the very large screened porch on the front of our unit. There was also a grassy area in the rear of the units to play games or sunbathe. Underneath our unit we parked the truck and there was a hammock and a clothes line for us to use. There was an excellent restaurant across the street(Back Porch Restaurant). The cottage was decorated with 60-70's style furniture which was neat. The beds were very comfortable, which we did not expect. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
newcastle uk
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Hi

My wife was a little put of by the basic retro nature of this place but by the third night she was willing to throw away a booked ferry to stay another couple of nights..

We stayed in a queen bungalow which was very clean and pleasantly furnished with a 60's feel to it there was no refrigeration but plenty of ice either gratis or for $1 kept our drinks cool. The A/C was more than adequate.

The family were friendly and promptly came to my rescue when I could not open the bathroom door (small button which can be pressed when the door is open will lock it when it is closed)

altogether a nice place to spend a few days.

I would recommend the back porch for dining although we were disappointed with Dajio and the Pizza at Jason's. There was good entertainment every night we were there at the local bars and the fried oysters at Howards pub are great for a snack.

Room Tip: all looked good to me
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank splodgie
Chicago
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed in one of the bungalows and had a pleasant evening. They are very " 50's motel", which is fun, very, very basic and super clean. The bed and remodeled bathroom were great. In this price catagory you will be very pleased. At other places when you pay such a reasonable price you are afraid of what you will get--not so with Edwards. The owners obviously take good care of this older property, and most importantly, keep it very clean.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank kjoann
Blacksburg, VA
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Many years ago I passed through Ocracoke during a mosquito invasion and could not even get out of the car. Now, I've just spent two nights at Edwards and can't wait to go back! I stayed in one of the bungalow rooms. It was spotlessly clean and delightfully furnished with vintage 50s era furniture with super comfortable bed. The bungalows are "no frills", i.e. no coffee maker, hair dryer, pool, etc. however there is a TV, which you won't really need.

Head out in the morning for a three minute stroll to Ocracoke Coffee and bagel to get ready for what the day brings!

Room Tip: The bungalow is the best value, especially in the off season. There are other types of units with mo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank LittleSpeckledTrout
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
The Breakwater Inn
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#9 of 16 in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Harbor Marina and Motel

Been to Edwards of Ocracoke? Share your experiences!