“Comfortable, quaint and sparkly clean”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Edwards of Ocracoke Rooms and Cottages
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I happen to like old motels with some individuality, provided that they are clean and well-cared-for. Edwards fit the bill perfectly. The price was quite reasonable, too. No, they don't have luxury sheets or large beds and I was reminded why I don't particularly like double beds (my feet hang off the end), but those are personal issues. This place would have earned a high rating based solely on its cleanliness. I don't think I've ever stayed anywhere this clean. Usually older places have some residual grunge somewhere, but either the redo was the week before I arrived or they have very high standards. I felt bad one day when we returned because the housekeeper had washed, dried and put away our coffee mugs that we'd left in the sink - I certainly wasn't expecting anyone to scour the sink during a 3-night stay. We enjoyed our tiny screen porch and the quiet neighborhood as well. My only nitpicks are that the A/C gave off a faint chemical smell when it kicked on and the shower is the smallest one I've ever been in.

Room Tip: Efficiency #2 is on the end away from the parking area.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 September 2013

My husband and I stayed in the lambert cottage this past August ,this is our 4th trip visiting Ocracoke and we have always stayed in the lambert cottage that's connected to the office,we have not been disappointed yet ,we love everything about Edwards .The prices are affordable,great location and the owners are good people and very helpful.The cottages are supper clean and very cozy,nothing fancy but it feels like home to us.

Can't wait until next year:)

Room Tip: The beds there are pretty small so we brought along a blowup mattress ...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sabrina W
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at Cottage #9 this past week. I must say we were concerned about a recent review; however, enjoyed our stay. The cottage was very clean, simple, comfortable, reasonable and sufficient for a get-away vacation of rest and relaxation. The owner was nice and pleasant. We would return.

Room Tip: Cottage #9 very convenient, comfortable and clean.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I just got home from my stay at Edwards of Ocracoke.

Everything was great, and I truly enjoyed my stay. Frankly, as soon as I left, I just couldn't wait to book my next stay.

Until that is, I received an email from Trudy stating she was keeping half of my deposit because it took an extra "hour and a half" to clean my room.

Huh? I did all the dishes, took out all the garbage, and followed her "check out" what I thought was "to the T"...

I emailed her saying that I thought she was wrong and I should be getting a full refund, she replied and said she would not budge. Having no idea what could have been wrong, I called her to talk to her about it directly.

She said, and this is no joke.. "you didn't follow the exit cleaning instructions, you left your used bathroom towels on the floor and didn' t put them in the dirty clothes bag (Yes.. that is what she really said), and you didn't fold up the dirty bedding..."

That was it; and for that horrific lapse in judgement; I am now out 1/2 of my cleaning deposit.

Now lets be clear here: I stayed in the room on vacation with my son for a week. There was NO change on towels during the week given, there was NO change in bedding during the week... there were no services whatsoever, which I was fine with...

But to refuse to return half of my deposit because I didn't put towels into a laundry bag and didn't fold DIRTY bedding? Frankly, it's so dumb I am just about without words.

Here's the deal:

I had an absolutely WONDERFUL trip to Ocracoke with my son, and a great time staying at Edwards; but this exchange was so distasteful, I will never stay at Edwards again and am writing this negative review. Before this, I was already starting to plan my next trip and would have ABSOLUTELY stayed there again...

All over four dirty towels on the floor of a bathroom after staying there a week. So unbelievable I am prompted to write this and let future potential customers know what they might be getting themselves into.

I have never left a negative review for anyone before in my life.

Trudy, was the $25 really worth ruining my memory of Edwards of Ocracoke?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
26  Thank Allen C
hwclark, Owner at Edwards of Ocracoke Rooms and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

This customer's comments are due to being charged part of his "cleaning damage deposit" ($25 of $50) given he not comply with the "agreed upon things" he was supposed to do upon vacating the cottage. As per the many good reviews we receive on Tripadvisor, we pride ourselves with offering exceptionally clean accommodations at an affordable price. In order to keep expenses in control (cleaning cost) and serve our customers on a "timely basis" as to check in time, having an "agreement" in place as to "how the cottage is left" is important. We are most appreciative of the many customers who value our exceptionally clean facilities and assist us by complying with our "cleaning/damage deposit" agreement.

As to the comment as to his accommodation was not serviced daily, we do not provide "daily room service" in our cottages; only in our motel units. We do offer a mid week exchange of linens in our cottages. In addition, cleaning tools are available in the cottages.

Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at Edwards numerous time's since 2005. We got married their courtyard. We have never been disappointed. Rooms are very clean. Prices are reasonable. Service is great!
You cant go wrong staying here. Walking or biking distance to everything in the village.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Shan C
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed in unit #2 and found the facilities to be simple and charming. It's a little bit retro, but in a fantastic way. The dishes in our kitchenette were a 1950s pattern that have been painstakingly collected the owner, so a sign in the kitchenette's cabinets told us. We didn't really use the kitchenette, as we ate all of our meals on the island at restaurants. Our unit also had a screen-in front porch, although we didn't really us it. I wish we'd stayed on teh island longer. I loved our stay and my only complaint is that we didn't stay longer!

Please note, though, that you should bring a hair dryer, as there wasn't one provided in our room.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2013

A great choice for a family reunion for families and singles. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Not a fancy franchise, just a nice spot to grill dinner if you choose and rock on the hammock. Nice screened in porch to look out at the sunset.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
The Breakwater Inn
#4 of 5 in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#8 of 16 in Hatteras Island

Been to Edwards of Ocracoke Rooms and Cottages? Share your experiences!