“Back again!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Edwards of Ocracoke
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Back again!”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I was here this past summer and stayed in a bungalow room. This time I went for the courtyard room (hard to resist with off-season rates) and glad I did. It was perfect in every way except no bathtub - only their cottages have tubs. But everything else made up for that. It was a really spacious room with two double beds, several windows. Nice vintage style and decor - not the cookie-cutter look of most hotels. For two evenings the weather allowed me to sit in the screened porch area - like a cozy sitting room. Room has a full-sized fridge - really nice to have room for drinks, cheese, yogurt, etc. as well as a freezer for ice cream I got from the Variety Store! I used the small coffee maker for heating water for instant coffee, tea, and spiced cider drinks. No coffee provided but I knew that from the conversation with the reservation. There was a small side table two 50s type chairs and they saw a lot of use during my visit. Yes, the bathroom is small but most bathrooms in motel/hotel lodging are small. There was a small shelf you could store things and even the window ledge. I didn't mine the pedestal sink at all. Bed was comfortable and the whole place just spotless.

I checked in after 6 PM and they had my reservation taped on the window in the office and a cooler of room ice should I need some. They room was all ready and welcoming for me. I brought my bike as I always do and they have a guest bike rack to store it. I've learned from other visits that you don't need a lock for your bike and no one wears a helmet. Everyone is going too slow to need one! They do have guest bikes you can rent by the day or even just a few hours.

The Clark's are great hosts. Sara was so helpful with the reservations and recommendations for restaurants at this time of year. She secured a regular TV remote so I could play the DVDs I brought but they have DirecTV too.

I felt welcomed and absolutely safe during this late fall visit. I cannot wait to go back this next summer. Edwards is really the epitome of Ocracoke style - relaxed, just what you need, and nothing more. I love the simplicity.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank 84Hokie

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Harrisburg, NC
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Ocracoke is a unique place & so are it's hotels. This is one of the older hotels on the island & very retro. The owners have done a lot to update the rooms while retaining the quaintness of the place. The room was fresh & very, very clean, new paint, new carpet, some new furniture. We chose a "courtyard" room because they were bigger & had a larger TV than the bungalow rooms.There's a small screened porch with wood furniture that would be nice for warm nights. This time of year, the rates are very good & if you don't mind staying in an older hotel that is quaint, the price is much better than some of the newer more modern hotels built in recent years. We requested a queen bed but the room had a queen, double, & twin beds....certainly more than we needed but there was plenty of room to move around. If we were traveling with children it would have been a real bargain for sleeping accommodations & price. There were 2 armless upholstered chairs with sort of a mid-century, modern vibe. The room had a full sized small (guessing around 12-14 cu. ft. refrigerator) rather than the usual mini-fridge. The coffee maker was the old perk kind & even though we had 2 vintage milk glass coffee mugs, filters like a drip maker would use, there was NO coffee. ???? I mentioned that the next day when checking out & she said they don't usually provide coffee. The website says under amenities.... "coffee maker" ...but NOT "in-room" coffee, I should have known, I guess. I didn't exactly have time to go out & buy coffee for one night especially after arriving late. Oh well, I packed some instant hot beverages. I've been to Ocracoke before & you never know, especially in winter, what will be open and/or available. They do not offer any kind of breakfast but there are restaurants on the island that serve breakfast. We chose to eat some food I'd packed anticipating few dining choices instead of going out for breakfast.... The bathroom has been completely renovated while retaining a nice vintage look. The new tile is mosaic but vintage looking in a very pretty seafoam blue-green tile. I agree w/ another reviewer that the pedestal sink, while attractive, is very impractical for grooming if one puts on make-up, fixes hair, or shaves. There is NO counter space & the bathroom very small. I suggested when checking out that they consider putting a small shelf under the mirror for cosmetics & toiletries. All the fixtures are upscale, rain shower showerhead, nice faucets, pretty sink, etc. Nicely done from a decorating point. I didn't notice any of the usual complimentary shampoo or lotion but I'd packed my own. No hairdryer that I could see. Again, I packed one. The towels were soft & fluffy & plenty of them. The HVAC is old school & a bit noisy but it kept the room comfortable. The fridge compressor made some noise too. I'm a light sleeper so I notice those things. There is no ice machine, ice is at the office upon request, & if you arrive after 6:00pm as we did, the office was closed. We'd called ahead to let them know. There was a note on the door with the room assignment. The room was unlocked, the light on, key on the dresser. I wasn't going to call the after hours emergency number for a bucket of ice.... just so you know. The young woman in the office apologized for the coffee misunderstanding gave me some ice free of charge for my 2 small coolers.Normally they sell bags of ice..... This time of year, the dining & shopping choices are few. Many of the stores are closed for the season or don't open until 11:00am or only certain days. We found a few restaurants open for lunch & dinner & the food & service was good.... As I said in my first sentence, Ocracoke is unique. You either love it or not. There are a couple of historic sites to see, a nice museum in an old house, very friendly people, easy to drive around or walk or ride bikes. We've only visited in the "off-season" preferring to avoid crowds so I can only speak for my visits & not the remainder of the year..... Overall, our stay was pleasant, I would stay here again. The staff (owners/operators & family) are friendly. The price is right, the place clean, & location good. Our room was on the street side & early in the evening we could hear people across the street as if the window was open but the place is pretty quiet at night so we weren't disturbed by noise. Not sure how it would be when more populated during fishing season or high summer season.

Room Tip: I'd recommend a courtyard room unless you don't mind a small room with tiny TV. In the winte...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VintageVagabond
Culpeper, Virginia
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room we had which was one of the bungalow rooms was clean, a little small but that didn't bother us although with would have been nice to have some place to put toiletries in the bathroom. The sink was a simple pedestal sink, much like you would have in a half bath. The only real complaint was that we could hear EVERYTHING going on outside, and in the adjoining rooms, it seems the couples in the rooms on either side of us were arguing quite a bit and when we got there we had tried to take a brief nap after our long drive and the sound of cars driving by was loud enough that I actually checked to see if the window was open. The price is good, and I like the location but the thin walls were a bit of a downer.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JonKMiller
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 November 2013

What a cute motel! Cozy, charming, 50s style (retro but not worn) lodging, fantastic value, friendly service. We stayed in an efficiency with a nice little screened porch. The only complaints: a too-hard bed and a too-small shower stall. But all the plusses more than made up for those two drawbacks. I'll be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank pegeen33
SC
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

We had one of the efficiencies and it worked great for us. Large refrigerator with a four burner stove. Looked like almost new heating / air conditioner that was way quiet at night. Everything was clean and well maintained. The folks at reception were really helpful, gave us great recommendations on where to eat. I hope to return again

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TuesdayWednesday
Leonardtown, Maryland
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is a nice clean place just off the main road. We rented a golf cart for the two days we were there and it was awesome. You can easily walk the entire town. The place had a great balcony/porch. Everything was gently used but clean. No complaints. Will return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I booked our vacation rental over the internet not really knowing much about Edwards. I was just going on memory on where it was on the island.. Well I was very happy that I took the chance.. We stayed in cottage #20 which is part of a complex of cottages and rooms owned by Edwards of Ocracoke. It was Exceptionally clean and quite. Never heard any noises from next door or our unit when the door was shut (have a 3 year old was afraid of disturbing the other units). The price was quite reasonable. I loved it so much I called just a few days after we left to reserve it for next year.. I think our family will become regulars..

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank motownwv
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
The Breakwater Inn
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#9 of 16 in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Harbor Marina and Motel

Been to Edwards of Ocracoke? Share your experiences!