“Ruth and Bob”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Edwards of Ocracoke Rooms and Cottages
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The grounds are kept in very good condition, and the owners are very nice helpful people. We checked in and it turned out that their mattresses are very firm, which after numerous Back Surgeries I could not sleep on that bed. The room was also much smaller than I expected. The owners were nice enough to refund our money. If they purchased more comfortable mattresses I would stay there because it was peaceful and off the beaten path.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RuthZe

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We had a nice visit to Edwards and were pleased with the convenient location. The cottage was clean and had much of what was needed for a comfortable stay. Screened in porch was great!
A couple things to note: the showers are small and water leaks on the floor and the place had a musty smell to it (maybe because it was before the start of the peak season?). But given the affordable rates, it was still a nice place to stay.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank cmcpvc
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The folks at Edwards are very accommodating and friendly. Our room was right out of the 1950's, BUT updated with modern conveniences such as refrigerator, air conditioning, and flat-screen TV with large channel selection. The windows actually open, unlike most modern hotel windows, so we did not even need the air conditioning. We enjoyed the laid back atmosphere and hope we can return for another visit someday.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RAILTRIPPER
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Edwards accommodates my large family of 8 people every year, year after year. We travel from Connecticut to our beloved island of Ocracoke. Its like no place on earth. And the Clarks give a great dose of Southern hospitality every year.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank hlaus
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I loved our stay at Edwards of Ocracoke and would go back in a minute. It was so peaceful and relaxing. We came in on the late ferry, so everything was dark as we drove around looking for Edwards. I passed a little room with the light on and thought, "Oh, that looks so cozy." It turned out it was our room! Edwards really did "leave the light on for us." It felt like having a grandma's house to come to in Ocracoke. (It was also immaculately maintained.)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank lbs720
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I was here this past summer and stayed in a bungalow room. This time I went for the courtyard room (hard to resist with off-season rates) and glad I did. It was perfect in every way except no bathtub - only their cottages have tubs. But everything else made up for that. It was a really spacious room with two double beds, several windows. Nice vintage style and decor - not the cookie-cutter look of most hotels. For two evenings the weather allowed me to sit in the screened porch area - like a cozy sitting room. Room has a full-sized fridge - really nice to have room for drinks, cheese, yogurt, etc. as well as a freezer for ice cream I got from the Variety Store! I used the small coffee maker for heating water for instant coffee, tea, and spiced cider drinks. No coffee provided but I knew that from the conversation with the reservation. There was a small side table two 50s type chairs and they saw a lot of use during my visit. Yes, the bathroom is small but most bathrooms in motel/hotel lodging are small. There was a small shelf you could store things and even the window ledge. I didn't mine the pedestal sink at all. Bed was comfortable and the whole place just spotless.

I checked in after 6 PM and they had my reservation taped on the window in the office and a cooler of room ice should I need some. They room was all ready and welcoming for me. I brought my bike as I always do and they have a guest bike rack to store it. I've learned from other visits that you don't need a lock for your bike and no one wears a helmet. Everyone is going too slow to need one! They do have guest bikes you can rent by the day or even just a few hours.

The Clark's are great hosts. Sara was so helpful with the reservations and recommendations for restaurants at this time of year. She secured a regular TV remote so I could play the DVDs I brought but they have DirecTV too.

I felt welcomed and absolutely safe during this late fall visit. I cannot wait to go back this next summer. Edwards is really the epitome of Ocracoke style - relaxed, just what you need, and nothing more. I love the simplicity.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank 84Hokie
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Ocracoke is a unique place & so are it's hotels. This is one of the older hotels on the island & very retro. The owners have done a lot to update the rooms while retaining the quaintness of the place. The room was fresh & very, very clean, new paint, new carpet, some new furniture. We chose a "courtyard" room because they were bigger & had a larger TV than the bungalow rooms.There's a small screened porch with wood furniture that would be nice for warm nights. This time of year, the rates are very good & if you don't mind staying in an older hotel that is quaint, the price is much better than some of the newer more modern hotels built in recent years. We requested a queen bed but the room had a queen, double, & twin beds....certainly more than we needed but there was plenty of room to move around. If we were traveling with children it would have been a real bargain for sleeping accommodations & price. There were 2 armless upholstered chairs with sort of a mid-century, modern vibe. The room had a full sized small (guessing around 12-14 cu. ft. refrigerator) rather than the usual mini-fridge. The coffee maker was the old perk kind & even though we had 2 vintage milk glass coffee mugs, filters like a drip maker would use, there was NO coffee. ???? I mentioned that the next day when checking out & she said they don't usually provide coffee. The website says under amenities.... "coffee maker" ...but NOT "in-room" coffee, I should have known, I guess. I didn't exactly have time to go out & buy coffee for one night especially after arriving late. Oh well, I packed some instant hot beverages. I've been to Ocracoke before & you never know, especially in winter, what will be open and/or available. They do not offer any kind of breakfast but there are restaurants on the island that serve breakfast. We chose to eat some food I'd packed anticipating few dining choices instead of going out for breakfast.... The bathroom has been completely renovated while retaining a nice vintage look. The new tile is mosaic but vintage looking in a very pretty seafoam blue-green tile. I agree w/ another reviewer that the pedestal sink, while attractive, is very impractical for grooming if one puts on make-up, fixes hair, or shaves. There is NO counter space & the bathroom very small. I suggested when checking out that they consider putting a small shelf under the mirror for cosmetics & toiletries. All the fixtures are upscale, rain shower showerhead, nice faucets, pretty sink, etc. Nicely done from a decorating point. I didn't notice any of the usual complimentary shampoo or lotion but I'd packed my own. No hairdryer that I could see. Again, I packed one. The towels were soft & fluffy & plenty of them. The HVAC is old school & a bit noisy but it kept the room comfortable. The fridge compressor made some noise too. I'm a light sleeper so I notice those things. There is no ice machine, ice is at the office upon request, & if you arrive after 6:00pm as we did, the office was closed. We'd called ahead to let them know. There was a note on the door with the room assignment. The room was unlocked, the light on, key on the dresser. I wasn't going to call the after hours emergency number for a bucket of ice.... just so you know. The young woman in the office apologized for the coffee misunderstanding gave me some ice free of charge for my 2 small coolers.Normally they sell bags of ice..... This time of year, the dining & shopping choices are few. Many of the stores are closed for the season or don't open until 11:00am or only certain days. We found a few restaurants open for lunch & dinner & the food & service was good.... As I said in my first sentence, Ocracoke is unique. You either love it or not. There are a couple of historic sites to see, a nice museum in an old house, very friendly people, easy to drive around or walk or ride bikes. We've only visited in the "off-season" preferring to avoid crowds so I can only speak for my visits & not the remainder of the year..... Overall, our stay was pleasant, I would stay here again. The staff (owners/operators & family) are friendly. The price is right, the place clean, & location good. Our room was on the street side & early in the evening we could hear people across the street as if the window was open but the place is pretty quiet at night so we weren't disturbed by noise. Not sure how it would be when more populated during fishing season or high summer season.

Room Tip: I'd recommend a courtyard room unless you don't mind a small room with tiny TV. In the winte...