“Current Favorite for Accommodations on Ocracoke”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Edwards of Ocracoke
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Richlands, North Carolina
“Current Favorite for Accommodations on Ocracoke”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I just completed our second stay at Edwards (in a bungalow room). We love it--the clean, retro rooms; the friendly accommodating staff, the location, and the price. Edwards has a loyal following, and it can be difficult to book on summer and festival weekends. Book early.

The bungalow rooms are small (cozy), but there is plenty of room for a couple for a short stay. The porch is well shaded. There's ample enough parking. Bike racks are quite close by. Laundry facilities and ice are available on site. Wifi is reliable. Quiet hours are in place from 10:00 PM to 7:00 AM. Unless, you want a room with a view of the harbor, sound, or canals, Edwards is ideal. It's right off Back Road, and a quick zip to the village for bikers and those with golf carts.

There is no coffee maker, refrigerator, or hair dryer in the bungalow rooms, so pack or adapt accordingly. The TV is small, but we wouldn't miss it if it were not there at all.

Room Tip: For a longer stay, book a courtyard room or cottage. The rooms are soundproof, but thus far, that ha...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The grounds are kept in very good condition, and the owners are very nice helpful people. We checked in and it turned out that their mattresses are very firm, which after numerous Back Surgeries I could not sleep on that bed. The room was also much smaller than I expected. The owners were nice enough to refund our money. If they purchased more comfortable mattresses I would stay there because it was peaceful and off the beaten path.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RuthZe
Detroit
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We had a nice visit to Edwards and were pleased with the convenient location. The cottage was clean and had much of what was needed for a comfortable stay. Screened in porch was great!
A couple things to note: the showers are small and water leaks on the floor and the place had a musty smell to it (maybe because it was before the start of the peak season?). But given the affordable rates, it was still a nice place to stay.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank cmcpvc
Northern California
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The folks at Edwards are very accommodating and friendly. Our room was right out of the 1950's, BUT updated with modern conveniences such as refrigerator, air conditioning, and flat-screen TV with large channel selection. The windows actually open, unlike most modern hotel windows, so we did not even need the air conditioning. We enjoyed the laid back atmosphere and hope we can return for another visit someday.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RAILTRIPPER
Torrington, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Edwards accommodates my large family of 8 people every year, year after year. We travel from Connecticut to our beloved island of Ocracoke. Its like no place on earth. And the Clarks give a great dose of Southern hospitality every year.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank hlaus
mpls
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I loved our stay at Edwards of Ocracoke and would go back in a minute. It was so peaceful and relaxing. We came in on the late ferry, so everything was dark as we drove around looking for Edwards. I passed a little room with the light on and thought, "Oh, that looks so cozy." It turned out it was our room! Edwards really did "leave the light on for us." It felt like having a grandma's house to come to in Ocracoke. (It was also immaculately maintained.)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank lbs720
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I was here this past summer and stayed in a bungalow room. This time I went for the courtyard room (hard to resist with off-season rates) and glad I did. It was perfect in every way except no bathtub - only their cottages have tubs. But everything else made up for that. It was a really spacious room with two double beds, several windows. Nice vintage style and decor - not the cookie-cutter look of most hotels. For two evenings the weather allowed me to sit in the screened porch area - like a cozy sitting room. Room has a full-sized fridge - really nice to have room for drinks, cheese, yogurt, etc. as well as a freezer for ice cream I got from the Variety Store! I used the small coffee maker for heating water for instant coffee, tea, and spiced cider drinks. No coffee provided but I knew that from the conversation with the reservation. There was a small side table two 50s type chairs and they saw a lot of use during my visit. Yes, the bathroom is small but most bathrooms in motel/hotel lodging are small. There was a small shelf you could store things and even the window ledge. I didn't mine the pedestal sink at all. Bed was comfortable and the whole place just spotless.

I checked in after 6 PM and they had my reservation taped on the window in the office and a cooler of room ice should I need some. They room was all ready and welcoming for me. I brought my bike as I always do and they have a guest bike rack to store it. I've learned from other visits that you don't need a lock for your bike and no one wears a helmet. Everyone is going too slow to need one! They do have guest bikes you can rent by the day or even just a few hours.

The Clark's are great hosts. Sara was so helpful with the reservations and recommendations for restaurants at this time of year. She secured a regular TV remote so I could play the DVDs I brought but they have DirecTV too.

I felt welcomed and absolutely safe during this late fall visit. I cannot wait to go back this next summer. Edwards is really the epitome of Ocracoke style - relaxed, just what you need, and nothing more. I love the simplicity.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank 84Hokie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
The Breakwater Inn
Hatteras Harbor Marina and Motel
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#11 of 16 in Hatteras Island

Been to Edwards of Ocracoke? Share your experiences!