“Great location, could be so much more!”
Review of The Slushy Stand

The Slushy Stand
Ranked #4 of 5 Dessert in Ocracoke
Cuisines: Cafe
Description: Whether looking to rent a bike, cooling off with a frosty slushy or sweet treat, or requiring an espresso drink or robust cup of coffee for your afternoon pick-me-up, The Slushy Stand is the choice for you. We offer adult and kids bikes, bikes with baby seats, tagalongs, adult tandems and adult trikes. A bicycle is a great way to feel the slow pace of island life. When you are finished riding, stop in for 20 flavors of ice cream, milkshakes, sundaes, homemade waffle cones and homemade hot fudge, fresh fruit or syrup slushies, soft serve, scoop yogurt and floats. We have a full espresso menu and our regular brew is a very smooth Cuban. We are open seasonally from 7 am to 10 pm, 7 days a week.
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This ice cream shop is right in the heart of Ocracoke and literally is one of "the places to be" for families spending an evening in the village. There is something kind of magical about hitting up the ice cream shop on a hot summer night after dinner. Takes you back to a simpler time period.

Lots of families stopping here on evening bike rides, and if you want a simple cone of ice cream you can find it here. And the pricing is very fair. Their selection is about 15 flavors or so of ice cream, which isn't bad but would like to see more.

I gave it a solid four stars because of location, value and the ice cream being pretty good. The only negatives I have on this place is lack of indoor seating, and due to this most people mill around outside. But with young kids (I have 2 and 6-year old daughters) that just means more mess on their clothes when they can't sit at a table. Also fast melting occurs outside when you are eating ice cream in the summer, as I am 36 and still ended up with ice cream all over my hands both nights we stopped.

Finally, one of the workers was barking at patrons to shut the door due to a long line, and I am sure he was probably just having an off night. I do realize ice cream stores need to stay cool inside, but when everyone else in Ocracoke is so friendly it really stands out to you when an employee is yelling orders at customers in a rude way.

Nonetheless, this stand is a must for anyone who has young ones with them and want a delicious dessert. You are missing one of Ocracoke's best stops if you don't hit up The Slushy Stand while there.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

This little store sells ice cream, gelato, and coffee (including espresso drinks). We stopped here twice during our stay on Ocracoke, once for coffee and once for ice cream. Both were good. You can get soft serve ice cream with a variety of toppings, or regular ice cream in plenty of flavors.

Contrary to some posts, the service was fine, and they kept up well with the flow of customers. It can get busy here toward the late afternoon or evening, with many families visiting for a treat.

There's a nice porch with rocking chairs where you can sit and relax for a bit.

1  Thank Jordynn J
Reviewed 13 June 2013

No trip to Ocracoke is complete until you visit the Slushy Stand for a cold treat. I always go for the ice cream, but they also have slushies (duh), frozen yogurt, milkshakes, smoothies, espresso, cappuccino, and homemade gelato.

Oh, and they also rent out bikes, to work off all that ice cream!

Reviewed 20 June 2012

I always stop by here when in Ocracoke. It's located in what my family and I call the Time Square of Ocracoke- lots of people walking around. I love their Cookie Dough- vanilla with HUGE chunks of cookie dough. Get a small- they are plenty big.

1  Thank Sarah G
Reviewed 23 March 2012

During my stay on this quaint island I looked forward to getting a cold treat for myself after the hot beach. The Slushy Stand had so much to offer, I had a hard time to choose. Some days I would get ice cream, again almost too many flavors to choose from, and others I would get a fresh lime juice slushy. Yum. Really hit the spot. Thanks Slushy Stand. (Not sure why its classified as a hotel though)