“Great Historical Building for Ocracoke Island”
Review of Blackbeard's Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Blackbeard's Lodge
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Cumberland, VA
“Great Historical Building for Ocracoke Island”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Making the reservation was so easy. Everyone working at the front desk and management to the maintenance guy were plain and simply Awesome! The best way I can discribe our stay would be that we can hear people conversation through the walls and not just that they were talking. If anyone was in the hallways it was like they were in the room talking to you. The whole house was like the Walton family everyone knows what being said and who said it. And if you have a drunk neighbor/s it even worse. Pool was a little cloudy and our 12yr old daughter got an ear infection and she does not get them and she never got into the ocean. The rooms were lacking electrical outlets and there were alot or to many extention cords. The TV were small and placed on furniture that was valuable space in such a small room. The Tv only got a few channels and no HBO, Showtime, Encore, etc just about 12 channels total and some of those would not stop flipping and would not stay still or were so fuzzy to even watch. no room had a microwave only a small ref. and 2 cup coffee pot. We had to go downstairs for free coffee in the morning which was nice yet the cups were a little to small. We will try to stay somewhere else, but if all other are lodging is booked we would stay at Blackbeard Lodge. The rooms and lining were very clean and the staff were so polite! I just have to be Honest....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

At the end of May, our family decided to take a mini-vacation on Ocracoke June 26 until June 29, 2013. We started looking on the internet for places to stay. My Mom had just passed away suddenly so we were looking for a relaxing place to take a break from the stress and grief. We had visited Ocracoke on our honeymoon 11 years ago and with our 12th anniversary coming up on July 20, 2013, we thought it would be fun to stay on Ocracoke with our two young children and our small 11 year-old dog. We wanted a good family place that was pet friendly because our dog Libby is an important member of our family and she was also affected by the loss. We chose Blackbeard's after a very nice lady at another hotel on Ocracoke that was not pet-friendly referred us there over the phone. I called Blackbeard's Lodge and a very friendly gentleman named Casey helped us choose the right room for our budget and our family. I explained the reason for our trip and he was extremely compassionate, yet highly professional. We arrived at the Lodge in the early evening after a long trip and Casey was there to greet us and he was so pleasant and welcoming. He even helped us with some of our bags to our room and showed us where everything was. Our room was simple but very tidy, cleanly decorated and perfect for the price which was just right for our budget. Our family loved the porch swing and the pool. Our dog Libby enjoyed a quiet area to walk around with us. Our children enjoyed the game room while we waited out a thunderstorm. I enjoyed the free Wi-Fi in the very comfortable lobby. We were able to rent a golf cart right at the hotel which was SUPER fun. Chip and Helena, the owners, were also there to help when we needed anything. They were extremely friendly and Helena was so gracious to us and our children.This little mini-vacation at Blackbeard's was the best time we had in a long time. All of us slept well and it was the best sleep I had since my mom died. This was an important time for our family to heal a bit from our grief. I can't thank Blackbeard's enough for the outstanding stay and for their kindness to our family. In our opinion, this is the best place to stay and our family has decided we are coming back to Ocracoke and Blackbeard's Lodge next year! To quote our 7 year old son and 9 year old daughter, " We want to stay here forever!"

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank JayceeDeecee
Chesapeake, Va
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Blackbeard's Lodge. With two small dogs we now vacation with, finding a pet friendly place is really important. The place is old but full of coastal island charm. The rooms are small, clean, simple and basic and filled with amenities such as small fridge & coffee pot, a nice sized dresser and spacious closet.
If you want to make your stay more comfortable and you have pets, I highly suggest you bring your own bedspread, pillows and (1 or 2 bath mats as there was none provided,) WHile they supply their own bed linens, they don't want your pets on them. The mattress was a bit stiff for my liking but I still managed to sleep. Also include pet amenities such as dog crate & pillow, (pets need to be crated when the owners are out of the room and it helps if they don't whine while you're gone.) *For our day excursions we boarded our dogs at Sandy Paws - another great pet place. The pool was small but clean & long/ deep enough to do some laps in. THe owners were very friendly and flexible/accommodating - a great Mom and Pop vibe. This is down home Ocracoke at it's best. We couldn't pick our WiFi on our laptop but got a strong connection on our IPad with no problem -go figure. One the first level is a Game room with pool table and a Fooz Ball set up which the kids seem to love.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MIMIZ H
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

We LOVE staying at Blackbeard's! Always clean and the rooms are really cute and homey. The owners make us feel like family! We always tell our friends and family to stay here when on the island. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2013
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We spent two nights here, and it was with trepidation that I entered, as when we pulled up, from the outside the place looked slightly run-down. However, I was so wrong - it is a lovely place, in a good convenient location full of character and so unique. The atmosphere and ambience were great, with large public areas, full of the sort of decor you would expect in "Blackbeard's Lodge". The guy on the desk was great, and very helpful, and showed us to a very pretty room. He also offered us a blanket for warmth on the beach when the next day proved very very windy and cold!! Unfortunately the pool was closed as it was slightly out of season, but I am sure it would be a very inviting place in the hot weather, and there is a lovely verandah with rocking chairs and swings to sit and chill.
It doesn't provide breakfast, but there is coffee in the reception area, and a games room for families. I loved this place, and would have given it 5 stars, except for the fact that I barely slept either night, not because of the bed, which was extremely comfortable, but because of some extremely noisy, inconsiderate guests (at least I assume they were staying at the hotel), who came home at about 3am and then carried on partying very noisily in a room close to ours. The second night, the guy on duty informed us that we were the only two staying at the lodge, and as we had to catch the ferry early the next morning we would need to post the key in a box as there would be no one there. So basically my husband and I were the only people in this massive building all night, so I have absolutely no idea what the banging and crashing was that carried on through most of the night was, unless it was the wind blowing something that was loose, but it was rather unnerving and led to another bad night for sleeping.
I would love to stay here again, but this time without the things that go bump in the night!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Raleigh
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Spent an unexpected night on ocracoke and remembered a friend who runs another motel on the island (which does not allow pets, sadly) had told me about this place.

room was small but very clean. had a queen bed and then a closet size bedroom with bunk beds for the kids.

other than the game room (which the kids enjoyed) did not use other amenities such as the pool. maybe next time. :)

Our ONLY issue was the lack of wifi in the room. seeing as we were right next to the game room (which had a great signal), I don't quite understand the problem. Now, for most people on vacation they WANT to get away from their computers (i guess, lol) so it might not be a big deal. But I own my own business and HAVE to have access to my email, or I lose business and customers (no rest for the weary ;) ) I did discover that I had (sometimes) a signal on the porch there, and if I placed my laptop on top of the covered trash bin (right outside our room) that I could pick up a signal.

I had read the negative reviews in the past, but our experience (aside from wifi, lol) was just fine. We rather liked the room and found it to be very clean. nice and close to pretty much everything (really, its hard to be FAR from anything on this island LOL)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We had another great stay at Blackbeard's. Our room was wonderful and the maids kept everything clean throughout our stay. We never even saw them.
Chip and Casey were both very helpful.
If you're looking for a nice place to stay while on Ocracoke Island, Blackbeard's is the place. Don't come looking for the Hilton. It's a quaint little motel that's right on time with the island life. It's close to everything, but nothing is far from anywhere. The rooms are clean and comfortable. If you're looking for more than that you probably should be in Nags Head and not on Ocracoke.

Room Tip: Check their website. They offer many different rooms. They also have pics of them. Choose the one...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Patrick B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
Sea Gull Motel
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#10 of 16 in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Harbor Marina and Motel

Been to Blackbeard's Lodge? Share your experiences!