“Pub food at its best”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 5 August 2014

An island institution that does not disappoint. Great burgers and sandwiches, with a large beer selection. Noisy, active restaurant filled with families right off the beach, with a funky, license plate and beer sign covered décor.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,080)

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Definitely want to stop at Howard's Pub for lunch or dinner if visiting Ocracoke Island. Our kids ordered burgers and salads which they enjoyed. The kids meal is served on a frisbee you can take with you which is a pretty cool. I love their blackened tuna sandwich and the teriyaki tuna sandwich. It is a nice thick portion of tuna steak on the sandwich. Service is fast and friendly. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Walkinlove
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My family and I spent an afternoon in Ocracoke and stopped to eat here on our way back to the ferry. There were three adults and two children in our group. The service was so so, both from the hostess and the waitress. I ordered the locally caught fish, which was grilled and had a nice flavor. My side vegetables were very good. My two children ordered fish from the kids' menu. It was very disappointing; the batter seemed to be used to cover a dark, unappealing portion of fish. Neither child finished their meal, and instead ended up eating from my plate. Given that, I left the restaurant still hungry. For the quality of the food, I felt it was overpriced. Since there are many restaurants in Ocracoke, I would try another one before considering returning to Howard's Pub.

1  Thank KansasTraveler156
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The food was fine, the manager was very overwhelmed by large groups. Our waiter had much better soft-skills and was willing to look for solutions rather than being less than friendly.

2  Thank mulligan130
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had to kill a couple of hours waiting on the ferry and dropped in for some beer and a light meal. They had some great interesting stuff all over the walls, although it has been done before in other places. We were pleasantly surprised about how many different beers were available. I do wish they had a few more beers on tap. We ordered the Santa Fe salad and it was OK. It wasn't bad but the fried container that it was in was unnecessary and kind of weird. It was not very big for the price. We also had the coconut cake. It tasted great but maybe not as large as I expected. There were many large families with lots of noise which made it unpleasant for us. The condition of the bathroom wasn't great. My wife really liked the artwork in the women's room.

1  Thank WolfmanJim