“Best on the island”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

After having been very disappointed elsewhere on the island our experience at the Flying Melon was exceptional. A wonderful surprise. With white table cloths, excellent service and wonderful food it's not your typical beach restaurant.

1  Thank Louise K

Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife and I recently spent a relaxing week at Ocracoke in May. The last time we were here, The New Flying Melon was being built, so we were really looking forward to dining there again. We weren't disappointed. The restaurant featured five different kinds of fresh daily caught fish. While I'n not a big fish fan, the selections were really well done with creative toppings. Steaks were available and very tasty. We had two appetizers which were outstanding: one was Caramelized Onion Terrain with toast, and the second was a Mushroom cheesecake-both were to die for.

Needless to say, we'll be back for a repeat performance.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

My mother, her fiance, myself and my daughter all ate brunch at the new location near our house. The building itself is immaculate. Beautiful wood work and spiral staircase. Very attentive hostess and waitstaff. My mother and i had the crab and bacon omellete with potatoes, hers with wheat toast mine with biscuit. The crab was succulent, the bacon just the way i like it, the onion and bell pepper cooked perfectly and all with melted cheese and egg! Potatoes were great. Not a big fan of bread but the biscuit was good too with real butter and strawberry jam. My daughter had the grilled cheese with hand cut fries. She devoured it and i assume she was pleased as she didn't throw it(she's 15 months). My mothers fiance also enjoyed his meal. And the orange juice was also great! Its family friendly as thy have a kids menu, highchairs and crayons to color the paper placements for brunch. It is pricey but well worth it. I had been once before at the old location for a friends birthday and had the smoked salmon patte and it was heavenly. Tables are a bit close together but it adds to the charm of this quante little diner. A must stop!

1  Thank lakilucid
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Very good breakfast with fast service with that southern hospitality! French toast is amazing and they are one of the places on the island with a full bar!

1  Thank Travelrasta
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Lovely building on a quiet street (it feels old, but I think they actually built this quite recently and moved from a smaller location). Friendly reception and service. I waited for my table in the bar. The one bartender was quite busy making complicated cocktails, but did a pretty good job of handling everything. Waitress was nice and did a good job of explaining what all the different kinds of fish were like. I must admit, I can't remember which one I chose, but it was very good, super fresh and well-prepared. The small salad that comes with dinner was nice and fresh but not very interesting. The sides with the fish were very good, a sort of curried rice and sauteed yellow squash. Good wine list.

I have to agree with other reviewers about the closeness of the tables. (In fact, I checked to see whether Nan O was there the same night I was - no, we were a few days apart.) There's a cute little nook with two tables-for-two side by side. I (dining alone) was at one, and by the end of dinner I knew a LOT about the couple sitting at the other. As another reviewer suggested, turn that little nook into a table for four or six and spare us all from too much intimacy with strangers.

1  Thank FoodieOnAHarley