“Paradise Found”

Sky Island Retreat & Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Old Fort
Sky Island Retreat & Campground
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My brother and I stay in our 40' motor home every summer and a few times during the year, so we've had the opportunity to see and/or visit many, many campgrounds and RV resorts. Of ALL the areas in and around Asheville, Hendersonville, Lake Lure, Little Switzerland, etc., etc., Sky Island Retreat and Campground is far and away THE Garden of Eden. Not only is the park-like property central to all amenities one could possibly think of to be entertained, it is secluded enough to feel as if you're in your own hideaway away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Asheville and Hendersonville are both only 20-30 minutes away...giving you a perfect day trip for shopping from designer boutiques to flea/farmer's markets, antiquing, fine arts galleries, and wonderful professionally directed plays, operas, and music venues. Dining gives you a choice from the very elegant to the boxed lunch picnic. There's a plethora of goings-on year round. Natural wonders abound. The retreat itself is nestled ideally between valleys to give you picturesque sunrises and sunsets the likes of which are rarely seen.

If lazing is what you seek, Sky Island's got you covered...you can spend the day doing absolutely nothing but enjoying the shade and sipping your favorite beverage, or play a round of golf putting through the challenging 9-hole putt putt course, fishing for carp in the gorgeous stocked pond, stretch out and cool down in the perfect depth (1/2 to 1') pool with fountains placed to give you a fresh misting, hike the many on-site trails, pick wild blackberries growing profusely in places you'll have fun finding...the list of things to do without having to go anywhere at all is almost endless.

Then there's the owners...they're like family to all who stay here. If there's ANYTHING you want to know about or ANYWHERE you want to go, they share their vast knowledge in such an interesting way, you'll find yourself wanting to hear more. Jerry and Deb go out of their way to make sure you feel part of the family (you'll wish you never had to leave). Lil Deb (their daughter) is the professional you most likely talked to over the telephone when booking your vacation. (I've even come to think of her as my own daughter, which she reminds me of daily lol). She knows a lot about just about everything you could want...and if she doesn't know the answer, she'll certainly find out as quickly as possible. Many times the way in which a campground is run makes or breaks it. I can't say enough about how wonderful, giving, and knowledgeable this family is. This retreat is like no other...my brother and I are certainly blessed to have found it.

Oh, yes, there's also a turkey shoot (no live turkeys involved) every Thursday evening, a snack bar and billiards, Foosball, karaoke (Friday & Saturday nights), big screen TV for sporting events, especially NASCAR on the weekends, horseshoes, corn hole games, board games in the music hall, the list, as I said, is endless!

On weekends there's usually a group going somewhere on the mini-bus (complete with seats facing around tables) .

To sum it up, there just isn't a more delightful, unique, or special place to really enjoy yourself as Sky Island. Consider yourself lucky, blessed, or special if only because you know what few others do - where Sky Island Retreat and Campground is. I actually feel a twinge of selfishness by telling everyone who reads this about my 'find'...I don't ever want it to change and become like all the other camp areas.

Room Tip: Any way or place you choose is fantastic...from primitive camp sites, RVs, cabins, all the way to a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Liz M

Reviewed 8 June 2012

i had called debbie from the uk.........she was extremely helpful over the phone.......upon arrival we were easily able to upgrade our cabin.......it was very quiet and peaceful there.......would reccommend and will stay there again..........thanks john and steffunny

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank steffunnymoon
Reviewed 23 October 2011

My girlfriend, our dog and I got there around midnight and Debbi got us to our couples cabin at the top of the property. We were visit from Wilmington for a get away weekend to catch the fall color. The cabin was great! There was a bedroom with a view of Mt Mitchell, a pull out couch and the loft area. We were pleasantly surprised to find the bedroom as it wasn't very clear on the website. Clean full bathroom and kitchen with real hot water. There are 3 cabins close together at the top of the hill. We only saw activity at 1 cabin so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. Great field for the dogs to run and play ball and very beautiful nature trails throughout the property. They had many other activities and amenities at the campground at the bottom of the hill, but we had all we wanted at the top with our breath taking views.

Room Tip: the couples cabins are great.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tarheelgarden
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I was very disappointed with my experience at this facility. Problems arose from the very start. We called ahead and asked for a space for 2 nights and was told no problem and reserved our space. Upon our arrival we were informed it would be a 3 night minimum instead of the 2 nights we had agreed upon. Although the scenery was nice other things were not very convenient. We were supposed to have water on our camping space but did not. We were told to get water from the neighboring campsite. That was awkward as it was occupied by campers whom did not seem to appreciate having their space invaded by us to get water. The overall experience was not enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank wildun

Been to Sky Island Retreat & Campground? Share your experiences!