“Misleading”

Sky Island Retreat & Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Old Fort
Sky Island Retreat & Campground
Reviewed 7 July 2014

When we arrived to check-in the price we were quoted over the phone was different than the price she tried to charge us. We get to the cabin there is no lock for the door and no linens. Deb's daughter returned with those items later. Then Jerry arrived and smartly told us we could not park our car at the cabin. I was travelling with my 82 yr old mother and the people beside us had a 87 yr old with them. When I questioned him about parking and told him my mother was sick and I felt better with the car close he smartly remarked " and you brought her camping" I guess he thinks older people should be left at home. The kids were promised the waterslide would be open Friday did not happen . It was open on Saturday long enough for them to have a duck race which I think an employ won the proceeds from that. It ran for about 20 minutes after and dumped into a pool of filthy water. The fireworks and cook-out did not happen till July 5th and most people were gone by then. Biggest case of false advertising I have ever seen. Everyone we spoke to said they would never be back.

Room Tip: It was very loud as the tent sites were right above the cabins.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Valentine2142014

Reviewed 16 June 2014

What a wounderful experance !.First time we ever camped and were a little green at this .We were going to tent camp with the kids "but " when we got there we decided to take a camping cabin along the creek & There was room next to it to still put up the tent for the kids. This worked out great. We had time together ." Kids out side Bob & I had the cabin." There was Electric so I could charge my Phone, Wifi to keep up with the rest of the world & check out thing in the area to see. Bob & the boys fished most of the time We did't realize there was a Carp pond here and in the creek other fish I don't really know what they were bass I think .They loved it. At night the Fireflys were out ,the frogs were croking .The owner came by to help start the camp fire for us.The time went by so fast and we were having so much fun .We never got to go site seeing We had every thing right here . We will remember this vacation as being the ONE OF THE BEST & plan to do it again this summer. Maybe for the 4th of July if we can . They said there will be Fireworks on Saturday night @ no extra charge. The other thing that was good .Other than Ice cream, firewood & ice everything was Free ! @ this place .So I did't have to spend a lot of money. Thank's to the owners & staff our Camping went off with out a hitch!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ann w
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We went during the off-season, and perhaps that is why we had such a poor experience. We called ahead of time and made reservations with Debbie (Lil Deb), asking specifically if everything was in working order as far as bathhouses, etc. We were told that they were. Upon reaching the campground we found no one at the office. After waiting for a bit we decided to unpack and move into our cabin, as the light had been left on for us. We had no water at our campsite and had to go all the way to the bathhouse for water each time. Several of the pipes in the bathhouse were busted, so water sprayed all over when trying to wash our hands. There were no paper towels and only toilet paper in one stall. The showers were not in good working order, either. Debbie FINALLY showed up the next day, to collect payment. We listed problems we had experienced since arrival, and she acknowledged knowing those problems existed already. Even though she assured us everything was in good working order when we called to reserve days earlier. Although we normally pay by credit card, and said we preferred to pay by card, she stood waiting for us to scrounge up enough cash for the entire weekend rental, which she promptly put in her back pocket. We received no receipt whatsoever, leaving us quite suspicious of the whole transaction. We never saw any employee of the campground the rest of the weekend. This was our second time staying at this campground, and will most definitely be the LAST! Travelers BEWARE!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TomJ_World_Traveler
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We had so much fun the place was clean the kids loved it and the mountain music is a must we stayed last July fireworks were also great thanks Jerry and Deb for a great weekend and experience we will be back as soon as it gets warm again:-)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Oh my gosh! Where do I start!! It was WONDERFUL! We stayed in one of the cabins at the top of the mountain and the view of Mt. Mitchell was unobstructed and awsome! The little cabin had everything we needed on a sort of miniature scale. Just precious!! My grandchildren loved it. The haunted trail ride was an event to remember. I have never laughed so much. The good folks that own the place a two sparkling diamonds nestled in amoung the beautiful mountains. Everyone were extremely courteous and helpful even to the point of bring us extra towels to our cabin. There is a lot to do there for kids. Swimming, waterslide, fishing, horseshoes, putt-putt... I could go on. This is the longest review I have ever written but it is well worth it. Please visit and stay a while if you're in the area. You won't regret it. They make you feel like family. If I could give it more that 5 stars I would but the only way I could do that is to reach into the sky over Mt. Mitchell at night and pluck them from the heavens.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to nature where you can hear all the night sounds and almost literally pick...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Carlos H
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This little family owned campground is perfect for those with kids and want something laid back and quiet. We stayed in of the couples cabins and had an awesome view of Mt. Mitchell!! The staff is very accommodating, providing nice little activities to keep the kids busy. There is a field that has millions of fireflies and they kids had a contest to see who could catch the most. We ate s'mores and rode on the paddle boat also.

Room Tip: If you want the view, get a cabin but just know you do have to drive up a fairly steep mountain to g...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank deltadawn68
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We stayed at Sky Island Retreat for the month of April 2013 in the Sportsman cabin and will have 'forever memories' to rave about. We're a family of 5, with hubby and I and our three children, ages 10, 9 and 7. The cabin adjacent to ours had a couple of young guys (early twenties?) staying and all was okay being neighbors. Our cabin was plenty big enough with all the creature comforts (including wifi!) we needed, and the owners were more than accommodating when we needed assistance. We never ran out of hot water, but certainly timed it well knowing it's a mountain retreat so you need to think wisely. The drive to Asheville was super quick, but not needed often, because Old Fort had everything we needed (Frisbee's is grocery store that is well stocked!), and Black Mountain and Marion are nearby with bigger stores.
The nearby attractions are also phenomenal. Our fave walk was Cawtawba Falls.
Sky Island Retreat itself has fantastic walks to enjoy, and the kids loved the chickens and their protective rooster wandering around, the mini-golf, the pond, horseshoes and more.
There's lots of cabins there so even though we were in the family style cabin I'm sure there's plenty of accommodation for romantic getaways as well.
If you like nature, you'll love the location. I hiked the country roads with my children every evening and spotted woodchucks, possums, and a variety of birds........and the bats in the evening are spectacular. (you are very near Bat Cave!). as are the wild geese migrating through the valley nearby.
We are planning to head back for July 4th celebrations. You can guarantee this is a lovely fun place to spend holidays.
The family who run the place are fantastic as well. If things go wobbly for any reason just let them know and they quickly sort things.
Two Thumbs Up and Five Stars for Sky Island!

Room Tip: These are Mountain Cabins, not a swank resort, so bring your own pampering items like thick goose do...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Missy H

Been to Sky Island Retreat & Campground? Share your experiences!