“Loved it!!!”
Review of Pilot Knob Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pilot Mountain
Pilot Knob Inn
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Loved it!!!”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I highly recommend staying here! My husband and I spent a weekend here and couldn't say enough good things about it! We loved the views, fireplace and jacuzzi tub!!! Thank you Pilot Knob Inn for a fabulous weekend!

Room Tip: We loved Cabin #4!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah309293

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 January 2013

If you are looking for "something different" you've found it. Don't be turned off by their website or the exterior of their lodgings. Essentially, this is a set of old tobacco barns that have been renovated and expanded and are really an interesting place to stay. The rooms are comfortable and fun. The hosts are warm and friendly. It is a short drive into Mount Airy with some interesting shopping and dining opportunities and the Inn is in the shadow of Pilot Mountain park with its spectactular views and walking trails.

Room Tip: If you plan on watching TV a lot at night you'll probably not want to stay in one of the cottage...
4 Thank Jere27519
Lexington North Carolina
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Words cannot even begin to tell you about our wedding night/mini honey moon at Pilot Knob Inn. Michael had no idea I had planned a mini get a way for us on our wedding night. I had looked at so many different places but something kept bringing me back to this web site. I worked with Jennifer and she helped me pick the perfect cabin for Michael. She has different little extras you can add to your cabin and the one she helped me was perfect. I knew he liked the natural fire place and simple is his motto. I was worried because I knew it would be late before we got there, Jennifer said “do not worry your information will be here ready for you when you get here, plus we live here so if you have any question just ask”. During our reception I surprised him with the reservation and he was stunned. When we got to Pilot knob in it was way more than what we expected. Jennifer and her staff had a beautiful cabin THE LOVE SHACK with cheese, crackers and truffles that I had ordered. The wood was piled on the porch and the cabin was beautiful. Michael had three favorite parts to this cabin (beside his new wife) the fireplace, the huge bath tub, and the bed-it was so comfortable. When we got up the next morning and went to have breakfast, oh my goodness the food was amazing. The staff fixed you omelets, waffles and had a table full of fruit, yogurt and different jams and butters (pumpkin, apple, peach-which we took 2 jars home). We sat at our table next to the window our view was beautiful - Pilot Mountain. The staff was amazing and the guess that we met were kind, friendly and most of them celebrating weddings or anniversary. After breakfast we were able to walk around and view the other cabins that are there- you have such a variety of styles you can pick from-The Castle, Penthouse Room and the Honeymoon Hideaway. The grounds are very natural and the lake and horse stables are right as you enter the cabin areas. If you are looking to tour Andy Griffin playhouse and other famous things from Andy Griffin you are only 14 miles away from Mt. Airy and Pilot Mt. is just up the road outside the gate So…if you are looking for a simple, but elegant, wonderful place to take the person you love-- make reservation at Pilot Knob Inn.. We will be going back for his birthday in February and Valentine’s Day and many more anniversaries to come. Thank you again Jennifer and staff for a wonderful celebration that was way more than perfect.

Room Tip: The Love Shack was our favorite cabin. There are many to pick from so the decision is all up to you...
2 Thank Gray121512
STALEY,NC
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Went here as a last minute stay for Christmas Eve for 1 night with my hubby. Found the last minute deal for $139.00 for the penthouse suite (hot tub in room) . First off drove two hours to get here, picked up our note pinned to office door, noticed a note at bottom saying, "Oh by the way no breakfast tomorrow morning." She said she emailed a note, I never received. Found one later ( after we got home) hiding way in spam folder, ;+( If we knew this we would of either not stay'd or planned to bring something since everything is closed on Christmas morning. She did inform us to help ourselves to whatever was in breakfast room and that she appologized and took $10 off our room. . So we grabbed some bread and granola bars. When we arrived in the room, there were m&m's on the the floor.Broken down couch with broken arm. Made you wonder what else wasn't clean. I opened up the window sheers (to see the view)in the bathroom, and seen the worst mold (see photos) , Very unhealthy. Dirty blinds. This place has a potential of being amazing. But either a lack of care or overwelmed owner. The jacuzzi bath tub has worn moldy caulk The fireplace was I believe suppose to be ventfree gas, but within 5 mins the fumes will make you sick. (hense the carbon monoxide detector in the rm) The smell is overwelming. Looked in the flue and there was burnt insulation shoved up where the opening was. The hot tub with jets on will fill the room in 10 mins with such chlorine we had to turn off jets and open doors to outside (30 degrees outside) We did enjoy the barrel shaped sauna by the pool. Took a good 1/2 hour or so to heat up but quite enjoyable. "suggest you add a splash of cold water to the stones" The room even tough faces the road with plenty of road noise , also faces pilot mountain. A real nice view. There were 3 remotes, one for tv,dvd,directtv. 2 had missing backs and only 2 batteries to work them all. I found another note in spam folder from owner to go into nextdoot suite and take their batteries (no one was in that rm) Did not get that email till home next day. It was CHRISTmas and we did enjoy ourselves, but not the overwelming reviews I read here. Apparently people don't care to live in moldy fairly run down (broken picture frame on wall on the verge of falling and breaking) etc. The property is real quaint. Would love to bring family, but hesitant because of cleanliness, mold and fume issues. A real shame. We would stay here again, but I suggest you get a room with outside tub and do not turn on the fireplace. Worth maybe $99, not worth $169.

5 Thank LOVESJESUS
Reviewed 25 December 2012

First online review ever, and Pilot Knob earned it! My wife and I were searching for a Bed & Breakfast to celebrate our anniversary and the prices were out of our range. Thanks to a lucky google search outside the main B&B locations (Boone, Asheville). The price was nice, and the cabin we rented (#3) was super fun! Cozy fireplace, a lovely jacuzzi, comfy bed, we were blown away! We also had satellite TV and free wifi, so we remained connected to the 21st century in this rustic and romantic atmosphere. The breakfast the next day was delicious (go for the omelette, my choice!), and service was with a charming smile! We already plan to spend our next anniversary there and keep talking to family and friends about our stay! For the location (Pilot Mt was our back-porch view), facilities, and PRICE, I highly recommend!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank BC-Fish
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My fiancee and I needed a place to stay b/c we had plans to attend a Tea Party Rally over the weekend and it was a birthday getaway for me. I googled hotels in the area and The Pilot Knob Inn B&B was on the list. We have never stayed at a B&B before because we like our privacy. We both pictured a B&B as staying in a bedroom in someones home, sharing a bathroom with other guests and hearing everything through the walls...that is not appealing to us...at all!!
I was pleasantly surprised when I started doing research on the PKI. I was immediately drawn to the converted Tobacco cabins. Privacy!!
We spent 2 nights there and have decided to make it an annual trip. We fell in love with it from the time we turned down the gravel road to the "office".
We stayed in cabin 2. It offered extra privacy since the porch faced the backyard (all other cabins face the gravel road). Although cabin 2 is also the smallest. We were fortunate to be able to walk around almost every room/cabin there after all other guests checked out. Each cabin/Suite is unique and all have different things that are special about them. Some have king beds, others have larger jacuzzis, a sauna, some have TV's upstairs and downstairs. All have a front porch or deck, microwave, hair dryer and mini-fridge. And the breakfast- to die for. I am so glad that we forced ourselves to get out of bed to go to the breakfast room. Do not skip it!!!
There is also a lake on the property- they share it with another B&B down the road. They have 3 boats for guests to use. We went fishing a couple of times. Had the lake to ourselves. It was beautiful.
Lastly, I am so glad that we decided to bring burgers to grill. Once you get there you will not want to leave. There are grills on the property (just bring charcoal) and make your own food. Sit on your porch and enjoy the surroundings! Trooper may even come by to see you when he smells the food cooking (sweet little dog).
There are definitely some small maintenance issues that should be tended to before they get out of hand, but for the most part, it is the perfect place to stay!! We can't wait to go back. And we will be requesting Cabin 2 again.

Room Tip: The suites are 'fancier'. The cabins are more 'rustic'. If you plan to spend your ti...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Eden, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We have been tent campers for many years. Normally, we only go to Bed and Breakfast Inns for our late December anniversary. However, we have spent the last two summers traveling many different directions, caring for elderly family members. With a new school year facing us, we desperately needed the camping experience without the hassles. Pilot Knob has been the perfect place! Our cabin is nestled among the trees, with plenty of space from other cabins. Even though we can hear traffic from the nearby highway, we feel as if we are a thousand miles away. The historic cabins are a marvelous blend of tobacco-era construction with modern convenience - a remarkable redemption of a bit of North Carolina history. We have found greatly-needed privacy, wonderful breakfasts, and scenic pool, and best of all, a pace slow enough to renew our bodies and souls. This place and its innkeepers are the best we have found!

Room Tip: The tobacco cabins feature relatively steep stairs to get to the bedroom above. The bathroom is on...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
#2 of 38 in Winston Salem
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#1 of 2 in Pilot Mountain

Been to Pilot Knob Inn? Share your experiences!