I grew up going to Pinehurst. I had not been there for about 10 years and some things are exactly the same - in a good way, but others haven't fared quite as well. The Carolina is exceptionally well maintained, but the rooms are in dire need of updating. Our room 114 East was large enough with a decent sized bedroom and lovely sunroom attached, but the bed and furnishings were awful. The carpet in the hall to our room looked like it was around about 10 years too long. The bed was lumpy, the pillows awful and it still sported a bedspread. When's the last time you were in a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton that still used bedspreads? All 3 rooms (bathroom, bedroom and sunroom lacked adequate lighting). There were no drawers except three in the DESK and the WiFi was practically unavailable. The bathroom had one sink and a tub/shower with a curtain!!!! Haven't seen those since I was in a Hampton Inn. There was no sound protection and the maid service and actually cleaning was heinous. Every single day I complained they hadn't taken away used bar glasses and replaced with new and the ice bucket NEVER was emptied to name a few things not done. Housekeeping blamed room service and room service blamed housekeeping. Not sure why it took 5 days of this to never have the issue fixed. When we got to the room, half the lights weren't working - needed bulbs; there was a baby crib in there (we didn't request this, and didn't need) and next to the sofa in the sunroom was someone else's golf hat and a baby book (obviously the one that needed the crib). Needless to say, it was obvious, this room wasn't exactly clean which bothers me terribly when I have just checked in. Thoughts that the rest wasn't cleaned linger and should never come to mind.
On a positive note, the lobby, and the dining room were lovely. Clean, well run, good food, and great service. The spa, which I spent 4 days enjoying multiple services, wasn't luxurious, but well run, comfortable and the staff excellent.
Golf, as always, was enjoyed. Considering they are hosting the new US Open, you would think they would do some room renovations. Although I love Pinehurst, I would never stay at the Carolina again until they do this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Some say you can feel the spirit of Pinehurst as you turn onto Carolina Vista, the tree-lined avenue that leads to the Carolina hotel. This majestic century-old hotel with its signature copper cupola and sweeping verandas make you feel as though you’ve stepped back in time to an era when elegance defined grand hotels and resorts. Dubbed the “Queen of the South,” the Carolina has 274 Four-Diamond guest rooms including suites.Pinehurst Resort features nine golf courses, an award-winning Spa, a charming village, tennis, beach club and other amenities including an active Kids Club. Kids 12 and under stay and play golf free when staying in the same room as the parents. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers so you can book your The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Carolina - Pinehurst Hotel Pinehurst
- Pinehurst Hotel And Country
- Pinehurst Resort And Country