“Not a Great Experience for This Non-Golfer”

The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Pinehurst
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not a Great Experience for This Non-Golfer”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Flew here for an on site 2 day conference. I do not golf and realize if I did I may have a more balanced review of the resort. My room was adjacent to another guests parlor and I could hear EVERY conversation. The light from that room even could be seen in the cracks of the adjacent door through out the night. Creepy. By the second night I had enough of being woken from conversations next door, walked down to front desk, was willing to change rooms in the middle of night but was rudely told there were no rooms available. Here is a positive: the very kind security guard on duty that night asked the people in the adjacent room to go back to their own rooms to talk and I finally got to sleep at 2 am. Another not nice: the resort charges an extra 30 dollars to swim in the indoor pool at the on site spa. Unheard of! I was so looking forward to swim laps after working that I went to the spa willing to shell out extra money, only to be told the spa was closing early because there were no more spa appointments. What? This is a pretentious low-on-service not for non - golfers resort.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank sherman220
mchriscoe, Manager at The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Pinehurst Resort is reviewing all of these concerns and will be addressing them directly with the guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
Rocky River
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

The Carolina hotel at Pinehurst is an icon, in the middle of the golf complexes. I found it to be a nice combination of the old south with contemporary updates and amenities. The people staying there included business people, many families and of course golfers. Casual attire was very common so you don’t need to come dressed to impress.

We were on a golf package deal, with meals included. The meals were excellent. For example the morning buffet was always fully stocked with anything you wanted, from healthy to decedent. No scrimping, plenty of food available, and attentive service that was not stiff. Same for dinners. At least one day I was there tea was served in the lobby in the afternoon.

The hotel is classic looking, and has a classic feel befitting its history. Lobby and common areas were comfortable and many people would meet and read in the lobby. My room was clean, large with a contemporary bathroom that was larger than you find in older hotels. Great beds, quiet, good heating and cooling, nice TVs. Linens were very nice.

There is a fitness center a short walk away, with plenty of machines, weights and cardio machines – near the top of hotel fitness facilities I have used. There is also a spa that I did not use.

Every staff person I encountered was friendly and helpful.

High marks all around, whether golf, business or family.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

I have previously stayed at Pinehurst and was excited to return this past month for three nights.

The first night was spent in the Holly Inn, and I then moved to the Carolina for the remaining two nights.
I slept better at the Holly Inn-- that bed was amazingly comfy. As I mentioned in a previous review of the Holly Inn, it is older and the furnishings are meant to be reflective of the inn's history. Yes, it is a bit like staying over at grandma's house, but I find it charming. However, I would suggest a little more attention to the dusting-- even the wallpaper was dusty. The valet on duty upon arrival was wonderful- very welcoming and helpful. The shuttle service to the Carolina was a great perk, too.

The room at the Carolina was well appointed, large, bright, and the updated bathroom and glass shower were great. No complaints there.

My first night, the service at the restaurant in the Carolina was absolutely awful. My friend and I could do nothing but laugh, as the service was so absurdly bad. The food was average but pricey. In fact, I was meeting two other friends there on Saturday night, and I cancelled that reservation based on my experience and opted to dine in town.

When I mentioned this experience to the concierge, the staff really made an effort to make it right. I appreciated the hand-written note and other gestures from the management. It really made a difference in my perception of the resort and changed the tone of my stay in a positive way. It made me feel that, as a guest, I was actually valued.
This, along with the excellent spa treatment, made the weekend memorable and enjoyable...even after a rough start. Thank you-- I'll be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank GirlOnAGlobe
mchriscoe, Manager at The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay.

We are pleased to learn you enjoyed the Spa treatment, along with the service and charm of the Holly Inn! Truly a special resort experience.

We will be reviewing your comments with our dining and housekeeping staff members in hopes of improving for future opportunities. We empower our staff to address any inconsistencies or concerns, and are pleased to learn a great effort was given in providing you a memorable visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Douglaston, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Loved Pinehurst. Golf was great, got to play No. 2, and 4, 7 and 8. Fantastic practice facilities. The staff was excellent. Dining was good, room was nice, spacious. Pretty reasonably priced as well. I am considering buying property here or planning a retirement here. It was that good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Apex, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Tranquil. Beautiful. Delicious. Quiet. A real getaway.

Whether you play golf or not, Pinehurst is amazing. It is soo guest oriented, comfortable, and will make you feel like your in the Deep South back in the day. You cant help bu go home relaxed......

Room Tip: Villas are great for multiple people, but for romance, the Inn is amazing. Rooms on the back side ar...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

A beautiful resort that is full of personality,history and takes you back in time but with a sense of today and tomorrow. The staff was wonderful and friendly. Check-in was very easy and the Bell service was quick and was willing to answer any questions we had. The Room was spacious with comfortable chairs and big closet. We had a king bed and had no problems with sleep.We Had a spa treatment on Sunday morning at the Spa and it was great.Spent a few hours in the spa relaxing and enjoying a smoothie. Also, if you are a guest, you can test drive an Acura and we decided to have a Sunday afternoon drive around the area. Ate at the Ryder Cup Lounge and the setting was laid back and we enjoyed it. Take time to take in all that the Resort has to offer to the shuttles that will take you to the village or the golf courses to all the photos throughout the hallways! We never in countered a problem through out our stay and each and every staff member was professional,friendly and willing to help in any way! This was a relaxing weekend that we enjoyed to the most!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

A good friend visited last year and clued me in on a deal. A buddy at work and I decided to give it a shot just for the chance to play the course that will host both the Men's and Women's US Opens this year. Pinehurst offers an off-season winter package called the Evergreen which gets you room (double occupancy), breakfast buffet and a round of golf for $169/night with No. 2 requiring a $100 upcharge. So, $269 for room, breakfast and a round on the St. Andrews of the US. Phenomenal deal THOUGH WEATHER IS A RISK! We trusted the Farmer's Almanac and found it dead on which worked our great. So we drove down early on Thursday morning to get a Thursday afternoon round in. Checked in and got our resort cards then headed to the course. The staff in the hotel was very friendly and professional. When we returned after the round, our room was ready. The room was perfectly nice and the bathroom surprisingly so. Clearly it's been updated over the years. The water pressure at the sink was irritatingly low as noted in other reviews. After clean-up, we headed down to the Ryder Cup Lounge for dinner. Had a good experience. Even though loaded with conference attendees, the wait staff was attentive, the service was fast and the food was very good. Slept fine and got up to an incredible breakfast buffet in the main dining room. Offered anything you could possibly want and we loaded up heavy for the morning round. Checked out before heading to the course so we didn't spend a ton of time in the hotel but the time we were there was very enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed the amount of history to be found throughout. Very enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Old hotel so the walls are thin. Central heating and air so the room can get very quiet. Recommend...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pinehurst
Homewood Suites by Hilton Olmsted Village (near Pinehurst)
SpringHill Suites Pinehurst Southern Pines
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
#3 of 12 in Southern Pines
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Southern Pines Aberdeen

Been to The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort? Share your experiences!