“Pinehurst has the best customer service of any golf resort”

The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Pinehurst
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I highly recommend this property. Their staff is all about making your stay the best it can be. The staff was extremely helpful in getting us in an out of the property since we had to check in a few times as our plans kept changing. Hats off to the front desk staff.

Room Tip: The Carolina is great. Close to everything, but so are all of their properties. Park the car and let...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Brought my two boys with me to play golf over 3-days on May 8th. Great rates since it was Mother's day weekend. We were there to play three rounds of golf. The resort was already very busy preparing for the US Open. This was exciting in some ways. It was disappointing in others.

Our room in the Carolina Hotel definitely needs some help. very disappointed with the bed linens and pillows. The room felt very dusty as well.

Very surprised on the second day.. we had a tee time on No. 4. We pulled up to the starter and were told the 1st and 18th were converted to par 3s since corporate pavilions were being constructed on the fairways. Over the entire course, many fences were being erected along the rough. I couldn't believe all the construction trucks interrupting play. I even had to wave off a truck from the 16th tee. Had I known No.4 would have been this disrupted I could have played again on No. 8 or maybe No. 7. I will say though the golf shop pro was very accommodating after our match on No. 4. No. 8 and No. 7 were in great shape. No one explained this to me ahead of time. Service at the courses was very good. Enjoyed the complimentary club transport between the club houses for us.

We ate dinner at the 1895 each night. Beef cheeks on risotto was excellent. Had b'fast at the Carolina. The food and service was very good.

The Spa could be better organized. Showed up for my appointment on time but unfortunately the masseuse showed up late. I had to laugh.. she informed me she only had a few minutes left on my appointment. Hmm. I'm paying full price for half the service? The Spa front desk was accommodating but only after I complained.

We were there to play golf. It is, after all, the cradle of American golf. Yep.. took the required tourist photos at the Pinehurst clock and bronze statue of Payne Stewart. Overall the courses do not disappoint. It is a great place for golf. However, the hotel accommodations were disappointing and spa service was spotty.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Russ A
Reviewed 29 June 2014

elegant and classy. Understated in the bestpossible way. The breakfast buffet was outstanding with every possilbe choice you could think of. A bit pricey but worth every penny. We were just passing through and did not stay at the inn, only breakfast. Staff very attentive and helpful, also discreet and not overly fawning. Would for sure go back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank julie g
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My husband and I spent two days at the Carolina Inn and were generally not impressed. We do not play golf, and we're simply looking forward to a few days of R&R. We arrived the week after the US open, which may explain why the staff was in general inattentive. Our room was average at best. Bed linens were poor quality and the sheets would not stay tucked in. The furniture in our room and carpet was dated, and on our second day room service did nothing but make the bed and replace towels (dirty glasses were left, sink in bathroom was not cleaned). The walls were paper thin so we listed to children running up and down the hallways and golf guys loudly walk up and down the hallways while we were trying to unwind in our room. The dress code for restaurants were not applied consistently. While we sat in the Carolina Dining room very well dressed, gentlemen who had just played a round of golf walked by us in shorts while the manager walked them to their table. He explained that they usually enforce the dress code, but it was a "Wednesday" so it wasn't a big deal. We had issues with billing at the Spa ( read your bill carefully). After some discussion it was rectified, but it marred the whole experience. They had tea service, which was impressive, until I watched two kids from the pool pick up cookies and then put them back onto the tray, all while the attendant stood there talking to her colleague. The pool was nice and had a great canteen, but it was over run by local kids who appeared to have some sort of membership. This hotel is fine, but not a "luxury" anything. More like a very expensive Holiday Inn. Not a do over.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tracy H
Reviewed 24 June 2014

If you like glitzy hotels, stuffy staff, and guests putting on airs, this is NOT the place for you. But, if like me, you appreciate understated classiness and a genuinely caring staff, then you will thoroughly enjoy your stay at The Carolina. Yes, the wooden floors under the carpets in the hallways "squeak" (a favorite feature for us!) and the décor is not over the top and "fussy" but it is classic and very clean and comfortably elegant. I have stayed at this resort many times over the past 20 years and always look forward to returning. I do not play golf but love this resort as much as any place I have visited. Sitting on the porch in a wooden rocking chair sipping a cocktail while listening to a bagpiper or a talented vocalist, enjoying yummy meals in the elegant dining room, strolling through the charming village to shop or dine, taking a dip in the pool, splurging for a relaxing spa service or two, watching noted golfers return from the golf course...not a bad way to spend a few days! Service is exemplary and everyone seems anxious to please, without being intrusive or phony. The staff wear nametags that say "Do the right thing" and, in contrast to staff at a couple of other very high-end resort hotels we visited this summer, at Pinehurst they really take that standard seriously. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RaleighNCCara
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Pinehurst is a top of the line resort. It is classic and elegant yet not over the top. The staff is friendly all the time and they really want to help. The food in the dining areas at The Carolina is delicious. The close proximity of all the facilities is great. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Gowest62
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We came to Pinehurst to watch the Women's US Open and to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Because it was a special occasion, we decided to splurge and get a suite. We called and made a tee time to play golf in the morning. When we checked in, we were told the hotel shuttle would take us wherever we needed to go. We got up early so we would have time to warm up before playing. When we asked for the shuttle to take us, we were told we had to wait for the greyhound bus to fill up and then they would take us. So, we drove our own car to avoid a 30 minute wait. When we arrived at the course, I gave our name and said we were not with a group. They didn't have us. They repeatedly asked for our name and if we were with a group. He said, no we do not have you. He did not offer an apology or offer to add us so I had to ask, "can you add us". He did so but I thought he should have immediately offered to do so and did not feel as if I should have had to ask something so basic. Very surly, not friendly Pro shop staff. As for the hotel, it is fine if you want to come on a group golf getaway but get a standard room as a suite is a total waste of money. The sheets were not changed daily, there were no robes, I forgot my shoe horn which I needed for golf shoes, they didn't have one. They did not refresh the toiletries and we had to call housekeeper for shampoo. There was no coffee service. The room was poorly layed out. If one of us was laying on the bed, you were exposed to the hallway if the suite door was opened. This is by no means a luxury resort, there are no frills whatsoever. Pinehurst was founded in 1895 and the Carolina Inn sure feels like it.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Thomas D
mchriscoe, Guest Relations Manager at The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your review. We are certainly disappointed to hear of the issues you experienced during your stay. We pride ourselves on our guest service and what you described falls way below our standards. Please reach out to me personally at matt.chriscoe@pinehurst.com with your check-in date and confirmation number. With this information I can investigate where we fell short and ensure it won’t happen again. And should you choose to stay with us again, please contact me personally so we can provide a Pinehurst experience that exceeds your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pinehurst
Homewood Suites by Hilton Olmsted Village (near Pinehurst)
2 mi away
Best Western Pinehurst Inn
#2 of 12 in Southern Pines
4 mi away
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Southern Pines Aberdeen

Been to The Carolina Hotel - Pinehurst Resort? Share your experiences!