“Fantastic food!”

Price range: US$6 - US$17
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch
Description: The best food of the world for two years consecutive s now in Pineville NC PERUVIAN CUISINE AND BAR
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Was visiting family nearby and they introduced us to this as one lives near Peru. We ordered a Peruvian drink that starts with an M but I'm not sure the name of it. Very sweet, some kind of passion fruit that looks like Mt. Dew. I tried the Lomo Saltado which was delicious, kind of like a fajita dish with rice. I ordered Bisteck Apanado but they messed up my order and instead gave me sirloin steak with a fried egg. I didn't say anything, ate it since it tasted great anyway. They brought out some kidn of spicy mustard with dried corn appetizer, it was OK and I guess it is standard. Overall, the food was great - my steak a little overdone but I prefer it that overdone then underdone. Would return if I could!

1  Thank grace5942

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This restaurant use to be amazing. The owners would fall over themselves to help you anyway they could.
We would take the group of friends at least 2-3x a month, then work called me away for a couple of months and my first weekend back in town I took a few friends for dinner. This place has changed ownership and management. Now half of the restaurant is in the dark, none if someone wants to sit on the side farthest away from the kitchen side, you have to ask to have the lights turned on.
I usually order tallarines verdes aka green spaghetti and with the older ownership it would come out a little dry meaning the sauce would be very thick. I would always ask for a little extra sauce while cooking and they owners asked me if adding a little water was ok, that was perfect with me, it just loosened up the sauce some. Well this trip, I ordered my usual and asked the very lovely waitress who told us she had only been there 2 weeks so by far she did an amazing job, just a little nervous. She stated she needed to go ask the manager how to add the extra sauce. She returned to my table and said the manager said it was $2.50 for extra sauce, WHAT? I thought she was joking. Im not asking to take a pint home. I explained to her what I wanted and how the other people did it, and she felt so bad about it, but said she was new and had no control. I would never want to get her in trouble. But wait a minute.. You are not willing to add a tablespoon of water or stock to a dish that is usually thick by nature, ie to much starch, to make a client happy. Well no need to worry, that 2.50 blunder just caused them to lose more than 30 clients. I would show up with an average of 12-15 guests with me, most of which were from Peru.
While I was waiting for my food to be delivered, I started looking around. There was a male server who was spending more time texting to the point that he would stop in the middle of walking across the dining room to send a text message, while wiping off a table he would put the dirty dishes back down along with the towel used to wipe the table with to reach In his pocket and text. There was a guy walking around in a muscle shirt, the kind that looks like a t shirt with the sides cut out and no sleeves. I was unsure who this guy was because he was in and out of the kitchen, dressed like that, im sure the health department has regulations about people with under arm hair and partial chest exposed in the kitchen. He then would walk behind the counter where I found out later was the manager, and was going into the cash drawer. Again unsure who he was.
The appetizers arrived and the yellow sauce was so salty that it stung the tongue and lips. (Extra water please or is there an additional charge for that too?). When the server asked how is everything, we told her and she replied oh im sorry, that’s just how they cook it… hummm
Soda arrived in a broken glass, not chipped but cracked from the top to the bottom, maybe fresh out of the dishwasher and then had ice put right into it, pop there is a crack. The server was super apologetic we actually felt bad for her.
The manager never once stopped by to see how things were. The table we sat at was right in the walk path from the front to the dish room (thinking that was what it was). Even after telling the server we were not happy with the food quality, they looked at us and turned their heads away.
At one point this was not the typical low class low quality Peruvian joint, it was built up from scratch on Independence Blvd to the move to Pineville, and now it has fallen even lower than the other one with the initials M&L without mentioning them in this review.
Please if you are going to charge 2.50 for extra sauce, make it worth my while. Thanks but no thanks, me and all of my friends that have gone with me in the past will find another Peruvian joint to enjoy. I am very good with financial math, but I cannot figure out how charging for a tablespoon of sauce or water is better than losing the eternal revenue of almost 30 customers? Good luck is all I can say.

6  Thank Uniquengay71
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Visited with a group including fairly culinarily adventuresome adults, a teenager and a pre-schooler. I got the ceviche plate, the teenager got a fried rice dish which was out of this world. One of the adults got the chicken milanesa (being a fan of German food, he called it schnitzel, other more southern folks at the table insisted it was "chicken fried steak", all agreed it was "good") Another adult got the rotisserie chicken and fell in love with the sauce served with it. All really enjoyed their meals and having the World Cup on at the time was a nice addition.

This restaurant is not fancy but the food is excellent and prices very fair.

1  Thank Tony R
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

This was our first experience with Peruvian food and it was wonderful! We were eating with family who were well versed in it, and apparently this place is very authentic.
If you are trying for the first time (or the fiftieth) definitely try the rotisserie chicken. Oh my is it divine! Tons of food, tender flavorful chicken that will leave you sucking the bones it's so good! Fried plantains were also great. We highly recommend this restaurant!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Went to the real Machu Picchu a couple of weeks ago. Thought it would be fun to stop and get some Peruvian Food. They did have a very authentic menu and served Inca Cola. Stuff is crazy, taste like bubble gum soda. I wanted my kids to try it. My wife ordered a 1/4 chicken and it came out about 20 min after the rest of our food. It was a bit awkward. Worth the visit but shouldn't be ranked as high as it is on TripAdvisor.