President James K. Polk State Historic Site
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Pineville
More attraction details
Owner description: This site is located on land once owned by the parents of James K. Polk, the 11th U.S. president. The state historic site commemorates significant events in the Polk administration: the Mexican-American War, settlement of the Oregon boundary dispute, and the annexation of California. Reconstructions of typical homestead buildings—a log house, separate kitchen, and barn—are authentically furnished. The visitor center features a film on Polk's life and exhibits on his family and tumultuous presidency.
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

This place is simple, but fascinating. It is always amazing to see a piece of living history. I really enjoyed exploring a piece of early American history.

2  Thank Robert W
"farm"
in 3 reviews
"video"

Reviewed 6 May 2014

If you are looking for a special outing that wont take you but a few minutes to enjoy, this is the place for you. I had passed the entrance dozens of times and finally decided to stop in and check it out. The exhibit area was small but very well done and interactive. The outbuildings were all closed except one which was hosting a cooking demonstration complete with period costumed cooks.

1  Thank ChupiesUSA
Scott W, Manager at President James K. Polk State Historic Site, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear ChupiesUSA,

Thank you so much for your nice review. I am glad that you came by on a day that the Historic Cooking Guild was here. They are so informative! Thanks for stopping by. Please come back.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Very informative stop to spend time learning about President James Polk. Before the film we spent time going through the museum area, where everything was very organized and well-presented. We learned many new interesting things about Polk and his family. Thank you for providing this.

1  Thank johnschu57
Scott W, Manager at President James K. Polk State Historic Site, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear JohnSchu57,

Thanks for stopping by! I am glad that you enjoyed your visit and learned a little about our 11th President. All the best!

President James K. Polk State Historic Site

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Surprisingly well kept site considering its size. The guided tour is very informative about rural life in the late 1700s, early 1800s as well as about Polk's family. The 12-minute film taught me a couple things I didn't know about his presidency, despite being a history buff.

The staff is very friendly, helpful and knowledgable, answering numerous questions. Our guide took the time to work directly with four youngsters, who stopped texting when he got their interest. A worthwhile one-hour stop to learn about one of our lesser known presidents.

3  Thank gatorsjimandann
polk12031, Manager at President James K. Polk State Historic Site, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear gatorsjimandann,

I am thrilled that you visited us and that you had a great experience. It sounds like the staff provided you with a great tour. Our staff prides itself in taking the time to really interact with each visitor. We hope that you will visit us again soon.

All the best!

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I asked for a guided tour on Saturday afternoon afternoon, July 27th. It had rained earlier in the day, but was not raining when I asked for the tour. I was told there would be no tours that day because the had been "torrential rains" earlier that day. I walked the grounds wearing white sandals and it did not get them dirty. The grounds are covered with thick grass and the was no mud. I drove from Columbia, SC just to visit James K. Polk site and was very upset that I could not take the tour because neither one of the two guides on duty wanted to do their job.

4  Thank Louise R

Dear Louise R,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have spoken with the staff that was working that day. It is our policy that if there is, or has been inclement weather that day, we temporarily suspend tours until the weather has had a chance to clear or the grounds have had a chance to dry out. If we do not allow this, then that could potienally damage the historic resource that we are charged with protecting. I hope that you understand our charge and that we would not be good stewarts of our cultural property if we did not take steps to protect it. I hope that you will visit us again soon and that the weather will allow you to take a tour.

All the best!