“Family Fun & Kid Friendly”

Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School
More attraction details
Owner description: Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School is the ‘Leader in Climber Education’. We offer Rock Climbing and Ice Climbing trips throughout the Southeast including North Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, and Georgia. We tailor to individuals, families, groups, beginners and offer climbing skills courses for experienced climbers seeking to expand their skills and knowledge. FMG is the Southeast’s largest and only AMGA Accredited Climbing School. Come challenge yourself with us!
Flagstaff, Arizona, United States
“Family Fun & Kid Friendly”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

These guides are rated G and fun for the whole family! Experts at everything climbing, highly certified, excellent models of behavior for the kidos, and have an emphasis on safety so all you have to do is enjoy the great climbing!

What I like best for the kids is giving them a sense of accomplishment and building confidence, which is also great for adults. But, I think the younger you start building confidence, the better.

Climbing outdoors can bring up fears that once conquered will create emotionally stronger youths who can carry that strength into all their activities. Confidence building has also been shown to improve academic performance.

I was a Martial Arts Instructor for 8 years, teaching children as well as adults. Now I teach in elementary schools. I climbed with Fox Mountain Guides with a small group that included children. They inspired me to continue climbing during my first experience.

Visited July 2012

Columbia, South Carolina
“Awesome experience with Fox Mountain Guides!”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I had an awesome experience with Fox Mountain Guides! Actually this was my second time around, and had the time of my life climbing up and looking out over God’s creation at Looking Glass. I was perfectly safe at all times. It was worth the money. My guide was Wesley Calkins and he was outstanding.

Visited June 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best guide service in the South for all kinds of climbing!”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I've climbed with Fox Mountain Guides multiple times and I highly recommend them. I have learned everything from the basics of setting top rope anchors and safe belaying techniques, to leading bolted and trad routes, multi-pitch climbing, building anchors, ice climbing and self rescue techniques.

Their guides are super friendly, safe (the most certified guides in the Southeast) and work great with all skill levels. I continue to have them guide me to build on my skills and learn what's new in the rock and ice climbing worlds. Now I'm climbing long multi-pitch climbs safely and confidently all on my own! I have climbed with other guide services and I think Fox is the most knowledeable, safe service out there.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank PaigeMS
Raleigh, North Carolina
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Look no further”
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

This group is awesome! If you want to climb and learn to climb the right and the safe way. This is where you want to go. Their guides are all certified and extremely safety conscious. Whether you are looking for a day of adventure or looking to begin your outdoor climbing training this is your place.

Visited February 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent guiding for our first outdoor climb”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We were looking for a guide who could build on the knowledge and skill we have from indoor climbing. This was a half-day vacation outing, but we wanted a challenge for our first time out on real rock. Wes is the right man for the job. He took us to the Nose at Looking Glass Rock where we each climbed the first pitch several times just to the right of the permanent bolts. With each attempt, Wes directed us on a different route that used and extended what we'd learned on the previous attempt. He was supportive while always pushing us to climb beyond what we thought we could accomplish. We also got a bit of training, too, in the setting and clearing of protection gear.

Our booking was handled by e-mail and then phone by John, who was responsive and helpful.

The location is ideal for climbing in the greater Asheville area. Looking Glass is just a few miles up the road in the Pisgah National Forest.

Visited August 2012