“Awesome experience and fantastic guides!”

Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: As the only climbing guide service in the Southeast accredited by the American Mountain Guides Association, Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School offers guided rock and ice climbing trips throughout the region. Whether you are a family who wants to try something new and adventurous or an experienced climber who wants to climb the tallest rock face on the East Coast, we have programs to suit to everyone from complete novices to experts. Let Fox Mountain Guides take you higher!
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

My family did the full day climb with Wes and Russel. There were 8 of us ranging in ages from 7 to 43, with limited climbing experience (a few visits to the rock gym). We actually got to the storefront a little late and they were very understanding and patient. After they got us fitted for gear we started on our drive to Looking Glass when it started to rain. They offered to take us to another spot an hour away and not take it out of our climb time. We ended up climbing at Grumbling something (can't remember the name) and it was awesome! Both Wes and Russel were very very patient with the children and the terrified adult climbers. Wes helped guide my mom while climbing so that she could overcome her fear and make it to the top. We all had plenty of time to climb and learned different techniques to help with the experience. They offered more difficult climbs once we experienced the initial lines set up for us. The hike and view were both awesome. The experience overall was great. Very professional and I would definitely recommend for a great active outdoor activity for the family!

1  Thank CRKurth

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Looking Glass Mountain, one of the most unique mountains in the area, a "must visit". One of only two mountains of it's kind on the planet, its formation has baffled scientists and geologist alike. And to make sure you get the most of your visit, contact Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School. Their guides have a superior knowledge of the area (some are the on-call rescue team for any emergency's that happen on the mountain) and an expert knowledge of the sport of rock climbing. I have been to two classes with them at Looking Glass and one in Kentucky! They showed us the in's and out's of rock climbing as well as the importance of maintaining and preserving the environment of such a beautiful destination. I would highly recommend Fox Mountain Guides as a first and only choice for a spectacular guiding service!

Reviewed 22 June 2013

I went with a venture scout group of 15 and had a fantastic time. Our guides were amazing, the view was beautiful, and the climbs were challenging but very fun. It is something that I would definitely do again, and undoubtedly recommend to others.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

These guides are rated G and fun for the whole family! Experts at everything climbing, highly certified, excellent models of behavior for the kidos, and have an emphasis on safety so all you have to do is enjoy the great climbing!

What I like best for the kids is giving them a sense of accomplishment and building confidence, which is also great for adults. But, I think the younger you start building confidence, the better.

Climbing outdoors can bring up fears that once conquered will create emotionally stronger youths who can carry that strength into all their activities. Confidence building has also been shown to improve academic performance.

I was a Martial Arts Instructor for 8 years, teaching children as well as adults. Now I teach in elementary schools. I climbed with Fox Mountain Guides with a small group that included children. They inspired me to continue climbing during my first experience.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

I had an awesome experience with Fox Mountain Guides! Actually this was my second time around, and had the time of my life climbing up and looking out over God’s creation at Looking Glass. I was perfectly safe at all times. It was worth the money. My guide was Wesley Calkins and he was outstanding.