“Fox Mountain Guides - great climb!”

Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: As the only climbing guide service in the Southeast accredited by the American Mountain Guides Association, Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School offers guided rock and ice climbing trips throughout the region. Whether you are a family who wants to try something new and adventurous or an experienced climber who wants to climb the tallest rock face on the East Coast, we have programs to suit to everyone from complete novices to experts. Let Fox Mountain Guides take you higher!
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We researched ½ day rock climbing trips on TripAdvisor and Yelp! Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School came up repeatedly with several favorable reviews. Fox Mountain Guides is also the only climbing company that is AMGA accredited and their guides are AMGA certified. Booking a trip was easy…we called with specifications of our climbing abilities, distance we wanted to travel and length of approach. The woman who helped me suggested Table Rock in Linville Gorge, about an hour and forty-five minutes from Asheville. It was well worth the drive. Our guide, Wes, was waiting for us when we arrived and he was a pleasure to work with. He was professional, gave solid climbing tips, and encouraged us throughout the climb. Our climb included Jim Dandy, a brief foray on Lunch Ledge and finished on My Route. Originally, we thought we were going to do a 3-pitch climb finishing at 300 feet, but were really excited to send a 4-pitch climb, summiting at 500 feet. We would certainly book with Fox Mountain Guides again, requesting Wes, of course, and highly recommend this company overall.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I have been climbing off and on for a while and recently found myself with a spare weekend and no partner. I looked around the internet looking for a guiding company and found that Fox Mountain Guides were having an "Intro to Climbing" trip at Looking Glass Rock in Pisgah National Forest. I immediately signed up and began packing.

Upon arriving in Asheville to meet our guides I was greeted by Karsten Delap and Susan DeBruin and the 5 other climbers in our group. The group consisted of three people that had never been climbing, two that had been climbing indoors for a few months, and myself. At first I was a little worried about how much I would be able to take from this clinic but Karsten and Susan assured me I would learn something.

After the meet and greet we went to the campsite and sat around a fire telling stories before returning to bed.

The next day we woke up, ate breakfast and went over basic climbing safety and knots. We then drove out to Looking Glass Rock for some climbing. Before starting Karsten went over some pointers about technique. Despite having climbed before I learned some very helpful pointers. We then finished out the day improving upon what we had just learned on some low grade rock climbs before returning to camp for dinner and more stories.

The second day we again had breakfast and headed out to the climbing area. Climbing this day consisted of harder routes and more building on the fundamentals we had established the previous day.

Whether you have never climbed a single route or used to climb and are trying to brush off the cobwebs, I HIGHLY recommend Fox Mountains Guides. The basic principles and techniques covered in this class greatly improved my climbing and more importantly my confidence in my climbing. Karsten and Susan were very encouraging, open to questions, and very approachable.

I hope to use Fox Mountain Guides again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

My family did the full day climb with Wes and Russel. There were 8 of us ranging in ages from 7 to 43, with limited climbing experience (a few visits to the rock gym). We actually got to the storefront a little late and they were very understanding and patient. After they got us fitted for gear we started on our drive to Looking Glass when it started to rain. They offered to take us to another spot an hour away and not take it out of our climb time. We ended up climbing at Grumbling something (can't remember the name) and it was awesome! Both Wes and Russel were very very patient with the children and the terrified adult climbers. Wes helped guide my mom while climbing so that she could overcome her fear and make it to the top. We all had plenty of time to climb and learned different techniques to help with the experience. They offered more difficult climbs once we experienced the initial lines set up for us. The hike and view were both awesome. The experience overall was great. Very professional and I would definitely recommend for a great active outdoor activity for the family!

1  Thank CRKurth
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Looking Glass Mountain, one of the most unique mountains in the area, a "must visit". One of only two mountains of it's kind on the planet, its formation has baffled scientists and geologist alike. And to make sure you get the most of your visit, contact Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School. Their guides have a superior knowledge of the area (some are the on-call rescue team for any emergency's that happen on the mountain) and an expert knowledge of the sport of rock climbing. I have been to two classes with them at Looking Glass and one in Kentucky! They showed us the in's and out's of rock climbing as well as the importance of maintaining and preserving the environment of such a beautiful destination. I would highly recommend Fox Mountain Guides as a first and only choice for a spectacular guiding service!

Reviewed 22 June 2013

I went with a venture scout group of 15 and had a fantastic time. Our guides were amazing, the view was beautiful, and the climbs were challenging but very fun. It is something that I would definitely do again, and undoubtedly recommend to others.