My partner and I stayed at the Fearrington House Inn for one night as we were driving from DC to Atlanta, and overall I felt it was a nice getaway (in the middle of nowhere) with a very substandard breakfast.
My partner and I really enjoy the Relis & Chateaux group of hotels, which is how we found Fearrington Inn. We arrived late in the night, so we unfortunately missed the opportunity to wander the grounds. The grounds of the hotel were very nice by the old historic inn. There was a sense of classic luxury, not overwhelming but just simple touches around the property that made us feel welcome.
Our room was in one of the newer buildings down the road from the check-in, which was kind of random. I felt that I was at a timeshare property with with all these condominiums filled with room. That wasn't a great feeling. The room itself was actually very nice. We had already had turndown service, and there was fresh fruit and some port for us, as well as some small snacks. The room and bathroom were large, which is what I would expect if an R&C property were to expand like this.
Because we missed teatime, the manager offered us a drink and snack at the hotel bar, which was very nice. I know that the Fearrington Inn has an R&C Grand Chef, but unfortunately we arrived too late to eat there. We stayed at the bar area for our drink, and the sommelier and the rest of the staff there were very nice and chatted us up. The specialty cocktails on the menu there were absolutely great, and the cheese platter was huge and filled with local cheeses. I really wanted to go to the restaurant, but we had to leave early the next morning.
The one major issue I had with the Fearrington Inn was the very substandard quality of the breakfast. Rated against a Hilton Garden Inn or a DoubleTree, it wasn't that bad, but from an R&C property with a Grand Chef, it was just plain not good. The breakfast options were normal breakfast foods, such as granola pancakes or eggs Benedict. I got the crab frittata, which was boring and they're only about two pieces of crap in it. My partner got the eggs Benedict, which was also boring and rather tasteless. The amuse bouche they offered were never cleared, and we had to ask them to clear our plates of the entree as well. Both the service and the food was bad at breakfast.
Overall, the Fearrington Inn was nice, but not as "quaint" as I would have liked. The layout of the hotel (if you are not staying in the old inn section) has a corporate and timeshare feel to it, unfortunately. I would deifnitely return to try out the dinner, but I would go elsewhere for breakfast. (Hopefully there are different cooks for the different services!) As a hotel in North Carolina, I'd say it's 4 stars (which is why i will rate it as such), but as a Relais & Chateaux property, I'd say it's around a 2.7.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fearrington House Inn is a Relais & Chateaux property located just south of Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Set amidst extensive gardens and rolling pastures, this 32 room inn features individually decorated rooms and suites as well as award-winning service. Guests also enjoy relaxing treatments at the Spa at Fearrington and browsing our stores including Dovecote and Haven, both home and gift shops, and McIntyre's Books, one of the South's most celebrated independent bookstores. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers so you can book your The Fearrington House Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fearrington House Hotel Pittsboro
- Fearrington House Pittsboro
- Fearrington Inn Pittsboro Nc