DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh - Brownstone - University
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We hosted a business meeting for 100 people at this hotel. Staff was very courteous and helpful. We had a couple minor issues which they fixed right away. I had made a mistake on our choices for box lunches- the staff noticed the oversight and fixed it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)

Reviewed 13 November 2013

The windows out at least from the first floor are directly by the parking lot. Every door closing every beep-beep to turn the car off and on is like it is happening IN your room. Every interior door and house cleaning sound carries through the walls. You won't get a good nights sleep here. Also there isn't a shuttle from the airport and it cost 35 dollars for a can ride each way. So add 70$ to your total fee.

I haven't even left the hotel yet and I'm writing this!! 2 more nights booked if only I could refund I'd move to a different hotel.

On a positive note the staff is friendly and the space is very clean.

• Stayed: November 2013
bill_winn, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh - Brownstone - University, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

We’re sorry that we didn’t provide you with a rewarding experience during your recent stay at our hotel. Your satisfaction is very important to us, and we appreciate your feedback about the noise and thin walls. Your comments will help us correct these issues and we hope you’ll consider staying with us again the next time you’re in the area.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We recently selected this location for our 20th high school class reunion. It was a long journey from planning to party but we couldn't have done it without the help of the experienced team in sales, banquet, and catering. Heather B., Derek, and Grace helped us every step of the way with tips to make the most out of our budget, to offering encouraging words of wisdom working within a committee. We enjoyed two nights of events--a cocktail mixer at the Bistro on Friday followed by our banquet dinner/dance on Saturday and a farewell breakfast on Sunday in the Restaurant. Amazing food, outsanding banquet service, and the most beautiful and relaxing rooms to soothe you right to sleep after a great party. Thank you for being a part of wonderful memories. This hotel comes with my highest recommendation.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Business trip, stayed two nights at Double Tree. When the reservation was made we requested a king room but upon arrival we was told no king beds available had to settle with double beds. Staff friendly and very helpful. Hotel nice and clean and our room was nice. Had to turn the heat off due to it is controlled by the hotel not by individual room. Room was to hot!! Enjoyed the hotel bar had drinks both nights, nice atmosphere. I used the hotel gym for my workout, to small and way to HOT!

Reviewed 8 November 2013

My wife and I worked with Derek and the staff at Doubletree to provide a room block for our recent wedding. Not only were they affordable, the service was exceptional and the rooms were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. You also can't beat the location. We will definitely return soon when we have a night out on the town.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I recently held a two-day conference about half a mile from the DoubleTree Brownestone. I contacted the hotel about rooms for my conference participants, and Derek Allen provided exceptional service. Over a seven month period working with Derek, he was always quick to respond to my inquiries and requests. It's obvious that Derek's priority is customer service. It was a pleasure working with him.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is my third time staying at the Brownstone since it turned over to a DoubleTree. My previous review was positive all around, this time no so much.

I arrived after dark in the midst of a strong rain storm...I thought that perhaps the hotel had lost power as ALL the outside lights were turned off making it VERY dark...no...they just hadn't been turned on and when I mentioned it and had to then unload my car, they STILL weren't turned on!

While my room included breakfast (and I had paperwork to prove it thankfully) the desk clerk was not familiar with the rate code and held me at the desk for 10 minutes trying to find documentation on her computer that indeed breakfast was included...she actually said, 'I'm not going to give you a hard time on this" but continued to search her computer and hold me up for several minutes more.

The rooms were redone in becoming a DoubleTree, but some attention needs to be made for the beds. Our bottom sheet was torn, and there is no mattress cover or pad, just a tear to the exposed foam mattress. Our sheet weren't changed on the second day, we we slept with direct exposure to a raw foam mattress -- pretty ugly and the idea of what was on that mattress was disgusting.

The one bright spot was the food service team -- the bar ladies were good and made a light dinner enjoyable and the breakfast team were very good as well.

Prices at the Brownstone have doubled since becoming a DoubleTree -- now they need to double down on training and cleanliness.