“Real boiled bagels!”

New York Bagels & Deli
Ranked #292 of 1,477 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Everything a NY bagel shop should be, just in NC. They know what a schmear and a black and white cookie is. What more could you want? Whitefish, lox, and herring oh my!

There are newer reviews for New York Bagels & Deli

Reviewed 23 April 2012

NY Bagels and Deli has a couple locations in and around Raleigh. I've been to both the North Raleigh and the Wake Forest locations several times.

First off, I will say that they have the best bagels in and around Raleigh. They also have good baked goods like crumb cake and muffins that my wife and I enjoy.

However, I am very turned off by the fact that they advertise Bacon-Scallion Cream Cheese as one of their gourmet cream cheeses priced at $2.50 for bagel and cream cheese, BUT then they have a small sign that says they are charging you $2 extra for 2 pieces of bacon with the cream cheese for a total cost of $4.50 without tax. This is, in fact, more expensive than many of the options on their menu including a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit. Although the bagels are not as good at Bruegger's, they charge you no more for the Bacon-Scallion cream cheese and you don't walk out feeling taken advantage of. I first questioned this several years ago when it wasn't advertised and they basically said 'This is what we do' and didn't even consider the overall cost. At least after that they advertised it. It does make me wonder how much they take advantage of customers on other things, but as I said, they do have the best bagels in North Raleigh.

I do have to agree with other writers that the staff can be very short with customers seeming to look to get to the next customer at times but at other times it appears they just don't like their jobs. I haven't found this same problem at Brueggers at least the ones in our area.

1  Thank Scott H
Reviewed 10 May 2009

We stopped there to get some takeout sandwiches. They were fine, nothing special, but I doubt I'll go back just because the vibe was pretty unpleasant and the staff made me feel like they would much rather be somewhere else. The young woman who took our order never smiled and gave the absolute bare minimum of interaction. After she handed me my receipt she turned and walked away without a word. Plus, everyone in the kitchen was yelling back and forth about some stupid customer who had called the wrong New York Deli to place an order.

Reviewed 6 April 2008

Great bagels. This place does a great business, so get there early. They have some pastries, coffee cake, black & white cookies, and other goodies. The staff there leaves a bit to be desired. They must make about minimum wage, because they appear to care about their jobs as much as I would if I were making $6.15 an hour. The lady who seemed to be in charge - apparently the owner - went on a little rampage yelling and practically cursing one of the employees who brought her kids to work with her. Sure, it isn't exactly professional to bring your kids to work, but it isn't professional to air all the dirty laundry in earshot of the customers. Actually, she was more upset that the worker wanted to pull the tips from the tip jar for her kid since she cleaned off some tables. Interesting.

We had a plain bagel with cream cheese and an everything bagel with cream cheese. We didn't ask for them to be toasted which we regretted. They were very good bagels. If you love real NY bagels, you know you can't get them in supermarkets - so go here. A few weeks ago we went in for breakfast and had a bagel with egg. That was pretty good too. They have a flattop grill where they can cook sausage, ham, bacon, and eggs for your bagel. They have a wide selection of bagels, including egg, sesame seed, everything, onion, plain, salt, etc. I don't know what the sanitation grade was, and I can't find it on the county listings. I did see one fly while we ate in....nothing to be too alarmed about.

If you want NY bagels in NC (Raleigh) - this is the place to come.

1  Thank fenianguy

Been to New York Bagels & Deli? Share your experiences!