“Great for kids and adults alike”

North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
Ranked #1 of 155 things to do in Raleigh
More attraction details
Owner description: The Southeast's largest natural history museum features dinosaurs, whale skeletons, live animals, walk-through dioramas, special exhibits, hands-on science education and accessible scientists. IMLS National Medal Finalist, 2014.
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I have visited the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences many times over the years. We regularly take visitors here. Each time it is a new experience. The many displays are so diverse that there is always something new to observe. Our hats are off to the folks who operate this wonderful attraction.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I visited many times before we became parents. Now we find ourselves visiting several times a year at the request of our young son. There is so much to see even again & again in the permanent exhibits. We also appreciate the Discovery Room now that we are parents. It's a great spot for young kids to explore and learn with hands-on exhibits. Best of all, the Museum is free (except for special exhibits).

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We liked being able to watch the research going on in the labs. The layout was really nice and easy to get around. Definitely geared for pre-teen or younger. It was nice and clean with many newer exhibits that were in nice condition.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We go to this museum quite frequently. Its our go-to spot to take our out-of. My favorite -town visitors to. Its got way too many exhibits in it to take in on one visit, I think we find something new everytime we go. One of the out-of-towners that we took there was amazed that they didn't charge admission since he said it was better than some others that he paid quite a bit to visit. I love that its free since we visit so often :-). My favorite exhibits are the rocks and gemstones.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We are very fortunate to have such an excellent museum here in Raleigh. My daughter loves exploring there. We go quite often. And I learn something new about my state every time we go.