“Free and fabulous”

North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
Ranked #1 of 155 things to do in Raleigh
More attraction details
Owner description: The Southeast's largest natural history museum features dinosaurs, whale skeletons, live animals, walk-through dioramas, special exhibits, hands-on science education and accessible scientists. IMLS National Medal Finalist, 2014.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This museum is a family favorite and we really enjoyed the new addition across the bridge that was under construction a couple years ago on the last trip.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I was here during my visit to Raleigh as an Exchange student. Have so much to tell about. First of all it's a great museum with different rooms about plants, animals, sea creatures, birds, reptiles, and of course DINOSAURS !!!!!! We had just one last day to go to the museum, so I had to rush a little bit, so I highly recommend to have at least 2 days for a visit ( if you are interested in all this, and want to read all of the signs telling about this or that ). So overall I am extremely satisfied with my visit, and its worth all the time spent. I would visit one more time with great pleasure if I had a chance ....

18  Thank les-aventureux
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My family loved the place and the different things to do make the time fly by with the kids. if you have the time to go GO its a great place to visit and enjoy your family while there having fun...

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is the oldest established museum in North Carolina and the largest of its kind in the southeast. While you are there be sure to visit the second wing of the museum....The Natural Research Center (it's more hands-on for the kids). You can't miss it. There is a huge globe on the front of the building. You can get to it on a raised walkway on the third floor of the Natural Sciences Museum or enter from the street. While you are in the Natural Research Center be sure to sit back and relax inside the giant globe and watch the movies.

2  Thank cheryl h
Reviewed 1 July 2014

First, this museum is free, so we weren't expecting too much. We were very surprised. There is so much to see here. First tip: start in the "old" building and then work your way (if you can) to the newer building. We got confused and thought the new building was all there was, and then Wow! we discovered the rest of the museum. Loved the butterfly exhibit and the dinosaurs.