“Just a really cool, hip, comfy place!”

Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel
Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in Raleigh
Branford CT, USA
“Just a really cool, hip, comfy place!”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Stopped here overnight to break up a drive from Orlando to CT. Raleigh is not directly off 95 but since I do business with a company in Raleigh, I wanted to see it. This is a very nice hotel. We loved it. It’s sleek, contemporary, spotless, and friendly. There is a restaurant and bar on site. We had late check in which went very smoothly. When we pulled up, several valet/bellmen greeted us and chatted us up. Woman at front desk was very courteous and quick. Our room was very cool, it was perfect. Looked brand new to me. The view- eh who cares, it was a parking lot and highway, but we didn’t mind that. There was a remote in the bathroom?? I couldn’t figure out why until I left the hotel and read previous reviews and apparently there is a TV in the bathroom mirror! Wished I had seen that. We were hungry when we arrived and the hotel restaurant was getting ready to close but no worries, right outside the hotel is this little “town green” type area with all kinds of jumping restaurants, cinema, etc,. That was very nice and convenient. We went to the Fox and Hound Sports Bar, food was decent, cosmos were TERRIBLE. YUK. The place was very lively and fun. Back to the hotel for the best nights sleep I have had in a long time. The beds were very, very comfy. Breakfast was in the lobby restaurant, it was just ok. The pool and gym are a bit tricky to find. The gym is actually not part of the hotel so to speak, you can actually enter it from the outside as well, would have been easier for me had I known that. No big deal though. It’s a nice gym. I really liked this place and wish I could have spent more time here! Raleigh seems to be a very friendly, pretty place. Oh and if you find a “Sheetz” Gas Station/Convenience store- you MUST stop there. It’s just a fun place!!

1 Thank joquendo
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Joquendo,

Many thanks for the 360 view of Renaissance Raleigh, and North Hills overall. Sounds like you covered a lot of ground in just a short time. Hope you will be back when passing through, as there are always more places and experiences to Discover. And true, Sheetz is truly unique, and has more flavors of coffee than 32 Flavors has Ice Cream.

Happy travels,
Richard Rose, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We used to like this hotel lot. We still like it. The staff at the door is just great, they recognize you, months later. This Renaissance is the typical business hotel, but doesn't lack charm. Friendly staff, recent and quite neutral deco, rather large and well equipped rooms (Club Level on higher floors), the premium North Hills mall around. Gym (included in room price, and directly accessible from hotel though independent), spa and excellent shops and restaurant at hand. But after many satisfied visits, I want to issue a warning: horrible service @ (usually good) restaurant Mia Francesca, had to wait 15 minutes without being noticed by any of the many waiters), trouble with housekeeping (bed literally undone under superficially stretched duvet, bathroom not entirely cleaned: had to call a supervisor...). At the time we were here, there was some corporate convention which blocked the usual breakfast/dining area: not nice for the "ordinary" customers. I finish with 3 minor points: Club Level breakfast stops @ 9:30 am, that's early. WiFi doesn't work well and you still have to pay for it and renew everyday (hello this is 21st century!). Cleaning staff starts "banging" at doors very early: it's enough to wake up an entire corridor! Please try to fix that, so we get our nice regular Renaissance back.

• Stayed August 2012
Martialbenard,

First and foremost, many thanks for being a loyal guest, a frequent guest, and thoughtful enough to take the time out of your day to share some really great information regarding your last stay. While I can assure you we remain not just the Regular Renaissance, but currently the #1 rated GSS (Guest Satisfaction) Renaissance in the brand. Having said that, I would be remiss if I did not recognize that your visit came at a time that many felt was the Perfect Storm. Once a year we have a single client that takes over the better part of our property for a four day period. As your point regarding Flights, our Restaurant, that is one of the service casualties that takes place for three of those days, during which time we move the service to the Inner Terrace area just overlooking the Reception. Certainly not the same experience from an aesthetic standpoint, and for that I apologize. Adding to the climate during that time was our transition from one internet system, to another. You are not alone during that three or four day period in terms of seeing blips. We have since completed and settled the system in to a faster and more nimble offering than previously available.

I will pay a visit to our friends at Mia’s, and certainly share your experience with them. I’m sure they will find it enlightening and opportunity to improve.

I have also touched base with my Rooms department, and your Style experience is excellent fuel for continued and enhanced quality assurance. This will be addressed, and with the changing of our linen package in 2013, I believe the guests will see an even fresher and more stylistic look to the accommodation.

Thanks again for your thoughts, and I sincerely hope that we will see you back on property again, and your next review will be reflective of all the improvements you will see and experience.

All the best,
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Very nice hotel. The hotel is located in the North Hills area and is a part of open mall with several upscale shops and restaurants on the street in front of the hotel. There is a French restaurant down the road (about 2-3 minute walk) which was really nice. The hotel guests can use the gym next to the hotel, which was very nice (because it is not exclusive to the hotel). There is also a really nice looking Spa next door. The room was nice and spacious. The TV built into the mirror was a nice touch. Service was generally very good. Overall a great hotel if you don’t need to be in downtown (this was about 12-15 minute drive from downtown).

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
CAWorldtraveler,

Many thanks for the kind words, and I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and were able to take in so many of the offerings just outside our front door. We hope to see you back on property in the future, and trust you will Discover something entirely new.

Happy Travels,
Los Angeles
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I have traveled Raleigh 3 times in the past month and have always come back here. I think that says a lot right there. Haha. The hotel in a way has become a home away from home for me.
The hotel is pretty new so with that the rooms and bathrooms are pretty new and don't have a feeling of being worn at all. All the rooms are a good size and the beds are very comfortable.
Usually I don't start by talking about the rooms, but I can't think of another way to get into the review. I slept well.
So here goes for the hotel itself. It's located in a somewhat lifestyle center so it is surrounded by many restaurants and bars as well as a movie theater if you so desire. It's its own little campus if you don't feel like venturing into downtown Raleigh....Which you should since it's only 15 minutes at the most away. It's nice to pull up and have all that at your footstep for convenience.
The staff is very nice and the bartender there is really nice and does well tending the bar whether there are 3 people or 30 crowding around.
My only kind of complaint is that the breakfast service is a little slow. Not extremely slow but enough for me to notice. The staff, again are nice I just think that at times when there are a lot of people in the restaurant, they can't be everywhere at once. It's not the worst. The breakfast is pretty good. Actually it's your standard fair.
I would recommend this hotel especially if you are going to Raleigh for business. It is set up perfectly for the business traveler.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
TVtravelLA,

Your comments are outstanding, and on many levels confirms so many of the things we strive to achieve on a daily basis for our Renaissance discoverers. Our passion is to provide an oasis of sorts for visitors to do, or not do, and be comfortable and engaged in either. It appears that you have had a taste of our culture, both from a culinary standpoint, and through the engagement of our Ambassadors. This is central to our mission; that is, to provide groups and individuals the opportunity to discover something entirely new each time they visit, whether it be in the hotel, throughout North Hills, or as you noted, 15 minutes down the road in Downtown.

I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to pass along your experience, and it will be our thought of the day. And yes, we will be looking at expediting our Breakfast experience a bit. Thanks for that critique.

Happy travels.
Wilson, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed here for one night and it was wonderful. I was impressed with the bar, the room, and the atmosphere. The breakfast buffet was horrible. The Omlet guy asked 4 times what we wanted and he still made it wrong, service was horrible in the restaraunt. I still plan on staying here again, just not going to eat there.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and get the whirlpool tub!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Travelin4300,
Many thanks for your thoughts regarding your recent Renaissance experience. While thrilled to hear the room, the Lounge, and the North Hills offerings were memorable, I am truly sorry to hear that your morning Flights experience did not delight. This is consistently one of our strong suits, and I will certainly discuss with my folks where the challenges may have come from. I hope you will return, and most importantly be our guest for another pass at Flights so that we may give you a true look at why so many find our culinary to be amongst the finest in the area.

Thanks again for taking the time to reflect, and I look forward to your return.
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Elegant hotel located in a mall area that has the look and feel like a charming neighborhood. Service was great, staff helpful. Stayed here twice. March 2012 and Aug 2012. The concierge floor has an added perk of the lounge. Continental breakfast and snacks perfect for our family traveling with my husband on business. We thoroughly enjoyed our sleep and stay. We will likely stay there again at the end of August!

Room Tip: concierge floor if possible
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
35805Anna,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing a delightful review about our hotel on TripAdvisor. I’m very glad to hear that you and your family had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed breakfast in the Club Lounge for our Club Level guests. We hope to see you all again very soon.

Yours truly,
Chicago
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed here for two nights recently. The hotel was located close to the highway, making it easy to get around the Raleigh area. Taxis are available, but seems easier if you had a car here. Also the hotel is situated in a large mall, walkable to shopping and restaurants. My room was clean and spacious with a view of the parking lot. I didn't interact with the staff much except on check-in and check-out, but they seemed pleasant enough. There was nothing that particularly impressed me, so from my travel experience I'd say the place was average overall and met my expectations. I'd stay again.

2 Thank jmleon72
jmleon72,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We’re happy to have had you stay with us during your business trip to Raleigh and certainly hope to have you come and stay with us again.

Regards,