“Excellent place to stay”

Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Raleigh
New York
“Excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

We enjoyed everything about this hotel. The employees were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you so much for posting about the great staff at the Raleigh Marriott City Center. We have a beautiful building but the people make your experience at our hotel. We are grateful for your business and hope you visit us when returning to downtown Raleigh.

Raleigh Marriott City Center

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I was there for a four day conference held in the hotel itself. The conference facilities are comfortable and provide adequate space for discussion among participants outside the meeting rooms.

The rooms are spacious, clean and quiet. I found the bed to be very comfortable. I slept very well in my 11th floor room.

The well equipped fitness center is available 24 hours, which is very convenient for guests attending all day meetings. The indoor pool is big enough for a useful swim workout, but is not accessible 24 hours like the other fitness facilities.

The TV was hard to manage, as other reviewers have said. I was going to ding them for charging extra for WiFi, but the meeting covered WiFi for registered participants, so no harm no four in this case.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank R M
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear RM,

Thank you for your great review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. We take your feedback very seriously and appreciate your comments.

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stay was a weekend away birthday surpise from my husband, which was great in and of itself. Albeit, not problem free. First, my husband paid for the room two weeks ahead of time and paid for champagne and strawberries to be delivered upon arrival. We took the rickshaw through the city to dinner. About three hours later, we returned to the room to luke warm strawberries and iced champagne. I don't mind my strawberries that way, yet it was not what was expected. We didn't say anything.

However, at 1:53 A.M., the phone rang three times, then there was a knock at the door at 1:55 A.M. with someone delivering strawberries and champagne!!! Not what was expected. Then, at 7:20 A.M. a housekeeping knocked once and proceeded to attempt to open our door, though was caught by the door guard with a loud bang. Both of these event interrupted sleep on a WEEKEND of planned relaxation!!! Plus, the pillows were TERRIBLY uncomfortable. The internet is outrageously expensive, though might be free in the Starbucks that is attached to the hotel. We didn't watch much television to comment on the channels like reported negatively in the other posts.

The more important thing of note was that when the front desk clerk asked us how our stay was and we told him about the early morning interruptions. All he said was, "Really, I hate that happened." Again, not what is expected, especially from a higher end Marriott. I'm sure not the level of service J.W. Marriott would have wanted.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floors so you have a view of the city of Raleigh, which is the capital of No...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TarheelZee
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thanks for your review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your weekend stay. I agree that it doesn't sound as if we met anyone's expectations. Please contact me offline so we can discuss your experiences and gain resolution.

Lavallette, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

As of March 2012, this place is the safest bet in town for a clean, well located hotel with an enthusiastic and helpful staff. Yes, there are some small misses: the TV does not have a "listings " channel. There is no in room fridge. The coffee maker needs TWO regular and decaf packs because most stays are for parties of two. BUT: if you are watching TV in this town , you are missing out. All the activity is on the streets and in the restaurants, and they are very hospitable. Our room was clean, quiet, and re-cleaning is done quickly in the AM: no waiting all day for the maid service. Park your car yourself in the underground lot and save serious cash instead of using valet parking. They will let you leave your car in front of the hotel while you check in, and take care of your bags. Then you come back and park it yourself. Walk to everything in this town. Plenty of entertainment and eateries for all budgets. We did not attend an arena type event, so you might have to take a cab for something like that. People actually said "hello" to strangers on the sidewalks. A little different vibe from New York City (still my favorite place in the world).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank meanguitar
Meanguitar,

Thanks for your review. Your postings to TripAdvisor are a great way to spread the news about hotels and guest's expectations. Service is intuitive and should evolve with changing expectations. We plan to do just that.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

You want to watch TV.....go to the Menu....see all channels......WITH NO SHOW LISTINGS......one must hit every channel seperately....to see what's on...then return to the menu and start again......FRUSTRATING and a waste of my time.
Internet connections poor. Had to reconnect three times in 15 minutes.......my time is valuable........obviously this hotel doesn't take that into consideration.
Will not return EVER.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Garry L
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Thanks for your posting regarding your stay at the new Raleigh Marriott City Center. I certainly can appreciate your frustration with losing valuable time on both the internet and television connections. Time cannot be replaced and I often feel the same way.

I have started our IT department checking the dependability and capacity of our network. Yours is the first complaint about its stability.

We appreciate you letting us know the challenges that you had with your stay at our hotel. If you wish to discuss it off line please contact me directly.

Thanks again for your contribution. Our ultimate goal is to improve our service delivery to all of our guests.

USA - NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Stayed here for one night on St Patrick's Day. This is fairly new hotel. The newest one downtown and is located near all the restaurants and bars in the downtown core. You can pretty much walk from here to a lot of the places or take a cab for $3-$5. The lobby is large and nicely decorated. Check in was kinda slow, but maybe we just got there at the same time as several others. I requested a room on a high floor and was given one on the top floor so that was nice. The room was very clean and had no issues. The hotel bar is good with plenty of staff and seating. We ate breakfast in the hotel and the buffet had plenty of choices or you could order form the menu. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
The Raleigh Marriott City Center is delighted to be a part of the revitalized downtown. Our weekend getaways can be tailored to your needs. The hotel is virtually brand new and is centrally located for all that Raleigh has to offer!

Thanks so much for your posting.

Elizabeth City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I must say I am picky when it comes to hotels and this was one of my best experiences. I recently told my husband that I was giving up on North Carolina hotels because each experience has been questionable. With that said, this experience was the contrary. From start to finish, the front desk clerks were great, especially Danielle, who helped us out with a reservation issue due to the fact the hotel was sold out. In addition, the breakfast was wonderful with a full array of choices. P.S., they have the best grits! Further the restaurant staff was top notch and made I a point to remember certain preferences each morning. Once my husband finds out when his next conference will be scheduled next year, I will without a doubt book again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Thanks for the posting regarding your great stay at the Raleigh Marriott City Center. Our team takes pride in their service delivery and the hotel. Whether your travel was for leisure or business Raleigh has become a wonderful destination.

Thanks again for your comments!