“Expensive but Excellent Stay”

Ranked #11 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I had a conference at the convention center that is attached to the hotel. The organization I belong to was able to negotiate a lower room rate than normal, free parking, and free internet (if using valet service) which was nice. Otherwise there is a charge for parking and internet access. The staff was wonderful; when I arrived the valet helped me unload my bags while the bellman loaded up the luggage cart to take the items to my room. The bellman waited while I checked in, he unloaded all of my bags, and went to go get a mini-fridge for me when I mentioned it would be nice to have cold drinks. No additional charge was assessed to the room for using the mini-fridge.

We ate at the cafe in the hotel and the food was delicious although very expensive. My husband is on a low carb diet and when we laughed about me eating all of the pre-dinner bread, the waitress overheard and brought him a bowl of mixed nuts to snack on before dinner which was really considerate (again no extra charge assessed for the kindness). The staff at the hotel gave my husband directions to the nearest open store to get soft drinks since we were not going to pay 2$ per bottle of soda and they helped him find transportation to get there. The room was nice, very clean, and the staffs were all very helpful. The only weird thing about our stay was that the toilet in the room spewed water around 9:00 pm each night for around a half hour but if the lid was down it was not a problem. I talked to other folks there with my convention group and others had the same problem and told me that management was aware of the issue.

When checking out, the hotel manager actually helped me load up my bags and get them in to my car which the valet re-parked for me as I finished out my conference. They were so kind and even gave me directions on how to get back to the interstate. The hotel manager refused my tip since he was salaried but I thought it was wonderful that he was willing to help his employees and guests.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and did not have much of a view since the hotel roof was in the way. The...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank plail30
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

The team at the Raleigh Marriott City Center thanks you for your review. We take great pride in our hotel and the service that we strive to deliver everyday. It is encouraging to read about your positive experience!

Reviewed 5 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel that states it is connected to the convention center. It actually it a long walk down 2 levels to the crosswalk then 2 levels back up to the convention center then a long walk. They want you to valet park so you cannot get your car without waiting forever. They actullay have no hotel parking so they valet your car in the city parking garage. The are several city parking garages around the hotel so it is very confussing to figure out which one you need to be in if you self park. I valet parked and when I asked for pass out of the garage to drive out myself since the entry to the garage is half way from the hotel and half way from the convention center and I planned to leave from the convention center that was not possible without paying for full days rate. Enough though my group had "Free" parking. Which ends up is only free when you tip every and wait every time you need your car. I recommend finding out the attached parking garage and parking yourself. And yes they do push the cabs. The directions you receive from the front desk are lousy, ask for them to be printed from a computer or you get a very bad photo copy map of just downtown streets. They restuarants within walking distance are really just a few and are mostly at the Sheraton Hotel accross the street. Unless you already are very familier with the city. It was my first time there you cannot find them without a car.

I got in late so I had a chicken sanwhich at the bar, the chicken was prepared great, however the bun was so hard you could not eat it. It came with fries that appeared to be soaked in grease. I later found out they were soaked in olive oil.

The room I had was great, overlooking out of the downtown area. Very clean and well stocked. Large bathroom and comfortable bed. I am a fan of Starbucks which is in the lobby so I did not use the single serve coffee machine.

Things they didn't do, no comp water for rewared members and no paper delivered to your room. The paper is located downstairs in the lobby.

I have to say this, unless you are paying someone for something, this is one of the most unfriendly downtown cities I have stayed in. Once I got out of downtown it was much better.

If you go, make the best of it and enjoy the room!

Room Tip: I always request a high room so you can see out over the city.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Dear Salesrepindiana,

I am sorry that your visit to Raleigh didn't meet your expectations. The location of this hotel is something that we take great pride in. The convention center is literally across the street. as both the hotel and convention center take a city block-literally, we couldn't be any closer.

Thanks for your contribution. Regards,

Reviewed 2 May 2012

When I checked in, they told me my room type was not available and put me in an accessible room. I told them that was fine but wasn't expecting it to be that nice. When I got in the room, it was really well done and totally up to date. The bed was so comfortable, I had to get a 1pm checkout. The location of this hotel is great. If you choose to walk around, it seems fairly safe although you do see weirdos just like any downtown city. Cabs are easy to find from the hotel. A great place right near the hotel is called Poole's. Really small place but it has the best mac n cheese you will ever have. Luckily, my buddy had made a reservation otherwise we would have had to wait in the really long line at the door. The only problem I had at the hotel was the parking. It is very tight. If you have an SUV, don't bring it. I have a GS and I thought I was going to hit every wall in the garage. Maybe valet it next time. If you have to be in downtown RDU, you can't go wrong here.

1  Thank fatubus

Thanks very much for your positive comments regarding your stay at the Raleigh Marriott City Center. Your contributions help our current and future guests. We are always delighted to have the feedback.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

I recently stayed at this Marriott while attending a food show at the convention center.The rooms are not what you would expect for $150 per night,there are no refrigerators in the very cramped room.Upon waking we found only enough coffee to make a single cup,also enough creamer and sugar for a single cup.We called down to valet to arrange a cab to a restaurant that was roughly 8-10 miles away,after arriving at said restaurant the fare was $28 !!!! On return trip we called a different cab company...price back $16.I asked the manager why they would recommend such an expensive cab and was told they are only allowed to call 2 car companies,so i assume they are getting kick backs from them.the manager was rude when i told her that they should warn they're guests that it will cost over double if they call a cab for you.Also the server at their restaurant in the hotel acted annoyed that we asked to be seated outside,or ,maybe just because she had another table.When we asked for bread after the meal had arrived at the table she told us she would try to get us some when she had a minute and rolled her eyes.Overall the food quality was poor,but the service was way worse....This is the hotel restaurant i am speaking of,not the one we got the overpriced cab to.By the way i am a restaurant owner and would never employ such people.Find some other place to stay in Raleigh,it cannot be worse than this place!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Dear Gregg W,

I certainly apologize that we failed to meet your expectations during your recent stay in Raleigh. It is apparent that you were dissatisfied with every portion of your trip. As you can tell by reading the vast majority of other reviews, this appears to be an anomaly.

Please contact me offline directly so we can remedy the situation.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

I stayed here for another work convention, it was very convenient because it connected to the convention centre across the street. The breakfast was great, they accommodated and served gluten free options. Full starbucks in the lobby, beds and rooms were very cosey

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thanks very much for your great review. We appreciate you using this medium to provide feedback regarding your stay. This gives us constant input and assists future travelers to Raleigh in making their lodging decision.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

We enjoyed everything about this hotel. The employees were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Thank you so much for posting about the great staff at the Raleigh Marriott City Center. We have a beautiful building but the people make your experience at our hotel. We are grateful for your business and hope you visit us when returning to downtown Raleigh.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

I was there for a four day conference held in the hotel itself. The conference facilities are comfortable and provide adequate space for discussion among participants outside the meeting rooms.

The rooms are spacious, clean and quiet. I found the bed to be very comfortable. I slept very well in my 11th floor room.

The well equipped fitness center is available 24 hours, which is very convenient for guests attending all day meetings. The indoor pool is big enough for a useful swim workout, but is not accessible 24 hours like the other fitness facilities.

The TV was hard to manage, as other reviewers have said. I was going to ding them for charging extra for WiFi, but the meeting covered WiFi for registered participants, so no harm no four in this case.

2  Thank R M
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear RM,

Thank you for your great review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. We take your feedback very seriously and appreciate your comments.