“Convenient but expensive”

Ranked #14 of 85 Hotels in Raleigh
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Convenient but expensive”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This is my second time staying at this hotel over the Fourth of July holiday weekend. We usually stay there just for one night, to avoid the holiday traffic that gets very intense in downtown Raleigh. When we checked in, I had my first experience of displeasure. I inquired about the special Fourth of July rate, when I was informed I could no longer take advantage of it... It would have been around $25-$30 cheaper. Next, I inquired about where they usually keep guests with service animals, as I have a very severe allergy. I was informed then that they don't have specific rooms for the service animals, so she could not guarantee there hadn't been an animal in the room in which we were staying. Okay… I guessed if we had a problem, I'd just go back to the desk. We were given our room assignment: sixth floor – wish it had been a higher floor, but that's okay. Then, we got to our room – 2 full beds. Definitely not the one king bed I was expecting. A quick call down to the desk and they had us switched to a correct room, and had someone bring the keys up rather promptly. Great! We had a very fun night out and about on Fayetteville Street, and took advantage of the breakfast delivered to our room in the morning. This was pretty good, but they forgot a mug for my boyfriend's coffee. Good thing we had the paper cup that was next to the little coffee maker. Overall, this hotel is overpriced, but could not be more convenient for Raleigh Independence Day activities.

• Stayed July 2014
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thanks for your contribution. We understand your dissatisfaction with the room rate. Hotel rates are similar to airlines. Depending upon demand, certain rates with have volume caps. For example 20-25 rooms maybe available at a special rate. As a hotel gets closer to filling discounts systematically close down. The last room in a hotel is worth more than the first. I would strongly recommend reserving a room for a future date and locking in a rate well ahead of time.

July 4th filled up the hotel inside 96 hours prior to arrival. This location went from 50% to sold out in that time period. Again, location, as you mentioned is a factor.
Thanks for your great points and perspective. We appreciate your business.

Raleigh Marriott City Center

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Wilson, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is my favorite hotel.... They let me down a little bit this trip. The room had a lot of dust and did not smell fresh. I did not get the view that I wanted either so I was disappointed. They made up some of the negative with the items included in my package of champagne and chocolate overee strawberries and a buffet breakfast the next morning. The breakfast buffet is one of the best we have ever had. The relaxation for being able to enjoy the festival and be right there and check out late made the trip so enjoyable. No one is perfect. I will give them another chance,

Room Tip: Made sure you double request the room you want. The side and the view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations. We appreciate your loyalty and honest feedback. I have forwarded your comments to the housekeeping team. They will take things from there!

Thanks again,

Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We spent a weekend for a family wedding (not at the hotel) using points. Arrived Friday at 5pm and found a meter spot out front (free on weekends), then used taxis (safer after celebrating) to get around; otherwise $30 valet or self park around block at $12 (every time out). Concierge level room was nice, as in all Marriotts. Late lunch at Bar Posta was tasty with nice service; shared Calamari (yummy) and a Burger (always good). Lots of noise and hoopla in the lobby that weekend with Miss NC pageant, but didn't bother us. Great location if you're going to the convention center or any of the downtown things happening in Raleigh.

• Stayed June 2014
We appreciate your review and particularly your comments regarding Bar Posta. The hotel is in a great location for family gatherings. There is literally too much to do in a weekend.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I am quite often required to travel to RTP for business, and always stay at this hotel, Why, its a very convenient location, reasonably priced, the staff is extremely friendly and accomodating, the bar food is quite good, the bar staff is very friendly. Grantd its not a brand new hotel, but I have litle to no problems with anything not working in my room. I especially like the fact that the Conceirge level really never closes, I can always grab a soda/water/coffeee at anytime. In addition, I can have a full breakfast in the morning at the Conceriege club, which is unuaual for a domestic Marriott.

Room Tip: always ask for a room away from the elevators
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for your great review. Obviously, you are a seasoned traveler that has vast experience with Marriott Hotels.

Best Regards,

Vienna
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We made reservations and stayed there on our way to Nags Head for our summer beach trip. The hotel is very nicely appointed. My husband and I stayed in a king suite which consists of two rooms. A nice departure from "so called suites" which consist of one room with a couch at one end. Love the soft white bed coverings and soft pillows. Room was pristine. We slept well and weren't bothered by noise or lights from anywhere.

A note to those who expect to have free breakfast while on the road. In the downstairs "eating bar area", expect to pay for anything you eat. This may foretell the future of the industry. While the cost isn't high, you will pay for your breakfast. You may also buy your dinner at this motel but it looked like soup and sandwiches. We decided against eating there after a long day of eating sandwiches on the road.

There were nine in our group so we opted to go to a nearby place to eat dinner. The restaurant was recommended by a Marriott employee. It turned out to be a sports bar and we couldn't all sit together. We all decided to enjoy breakfast at a restaurant on our way to the beach.

Since it was an overnight stay, we didn't use the spa, pool, wifi or other amenities.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for your great review! We certainly appreciate your contribution and your business.

ENGLAND
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We decided to stop at this hotel as we were on our way from Williamsburg to Savannah in Gorgia,this seemed an ideal halfway stopover.Wrong,we were warmly greeted on arrival,and told sorry room is not ready,would you like to go and get yourself a drink at bar.after another hour room was still not ready,we were not amused.
It so situated in the middle of a shopping complex,and is a concrete jungle.Ideal location if you want to spend your days shopping.

Room Tip: Go for as high a floor as you can get.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thanks for your review. we appreciate your feedback. I am wondering if the wrong hotel was reviewed as the Crabtree Valley Marriott is in the mall area. There is significant concrete in the downtown area but not considerable shopping.

Thanks again.

Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed at this location with family and friends on a Saturday night. You cannot beat the location. The area is lit up at night with restaurants and hip hang outs. Great for all ages. Nice indoor pool and fitness center. Parking is very expensive unless you go off site and wifi is not free. Decent food in lobby restaurant. Front desk staff is extremely helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thanks for your review! To correctly update the traveling guests: the hotel has free WIFI in our lobby areas. Also, unfortunately, the parking deck below the hotel is owned and operated by the City of Raleigh. The hotel has no control or influence on its pricing or policies.

Thanks for the review and your business!

Best Regards,