“Good Business Hotel, but Deserted at Night and on Weekends” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Raleigh Marriott City Center
Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Raleigh
Ottawa, Ontario
“Good Business Hotel, but Deserted at Night and on Weekends”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2009

Raleigh Marriott City Center is a good hotel for conferences at the new Convention Centre next door. The public areas inside are clean, elegant and open. The rooms are well appointed, with a nice added touch of a 37" LCD TV with a pc cable connection on the desk to connect your laptop. The bar/hotel is adequate, and served as a good after-convention meeting place with good service since we were the only ones there. Finally, on cool days, there's an indoor connection to the Convention Centre.

On the downside, outside the hotel, there's a lot of construction and not a lot of progress as yet. Getting to the rest of downtown requires walking around an active boarded up construction site which isn't a big deal during the day, but at night can be a little intimidating for tourists.

If you do venture out at night, it's about a 5 minute walk to City Market, which is a worthy destination during the week, but not so much on a Sunday night. I can recommend Woody's - a great sports bar, especially for watching college basketball.

Overall, if you're going for a conference at the Convention Centre, it's a good, convenient hotel. If not, there may be better places to stay.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2009

The hotel itself is very pretty and well done, but the staff is horrible. The front desk staff was not friendly, welcoming or helpful. Even the manager on duty didn't seem to know what was going on. Again the hotel is beautiful and in a great location, but the staff is very difficult to work with, and I will look at other options next time I stay downtown.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

I'm here at the Marriott City Center in Raleigh as a speaker at a large state-wide tourism conference, and I'm sick. The manager extended my check-out time to 4:00PM so I could rest throughout the day and they brought me food off the breakfast menu even though it was an hour after their breakfast time expires. VERY helpful. I'm a Marriott fan now.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

We chose to stay at Marriott Raleigh City Center because we typically have a good experience with Marriott. This stay was okay but we felt the comfort standards just weren't what we've come to expect from Marriott. It's a beautiful new hotel and the staff were all terrific. They were very friendly and helpful. With that said, we found the brand new beds hard as a rock; the towels were scratchy (more like motel 8) and not what you'd expect from a premier hotel,. Also, I think it's time Marriott gave up on nickel and diming travelers with expensive internet usage fees. Come on, if the Comfort Inn can offer free WIFI then the Marriott should be all over that! Overall, not a bad stay but not what we know Marriott is capable of providing.

• Liked — Great restaurants within walking distance.
  • Disliked — The hard bed
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2009

I know this hotel is brand new and will have its kinks, but it should be prepared to handle all kinds of situations as it is a Marriott Hotel. Marriott Hotels have an image to uphold and at the Raleigh Marriott City Center, it sadly lacked that Marriott stamp.

I had attended a banquet in Raleigh in Oct 2008 and was not happy with the way the servers served the food. It seemed like everyone at our table got their food first and we had to wait 1 1/2 hours for our food to arrive!!! That was atrocious! Not only that, Marriott, please hire English-speaking staff. I don't speak Spanish.

Other than that, as it is a brand new hotel, the room was quite nice with a nice bathroom. The other weird thing is the hotel kept having blackouts. That was scary!

• Liked — Bright
  • Disliked — Blackouts
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Shrewsbury, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

My new wife and I are planning on moving to Raleigh this year, and this is our second time visiting to scout out things. This hotel was not even open last time, but what a treat it was to stay there. For $99-139, this place was a bargain. Raleigh's main downtown is not exactly vibrant, but there certainly are cool, fun places, and the Glenwood South area is about a mile from the hotel. The hotel itself is beautiful, new, clean, and everyone is very friendly. For all the space around, I think valet parking ($18/day) is unnecessary, but pretty much the standard nowadays for city hotels. If I am back down again before I have a permanent home, I will definitely stay here again.

As a side note, this place is so new I couldn't find pictures online anywhere, so I posted some on here. I felt weird taking ones of the lobby, but trust me, it is beautiful, as is the restaurant and bar.

• Liked — Best hotel in Raleigh under 200 bucks!
  • Disliked — Pay lobby internet / in-room wireless seems a little out of place at a modern business-oriented hotel like this.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GucciLittlePiggie
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

My husband and I stayed in the hotel during the holidays on our way up from Florida to New York. The hotel is new and clean and very well appointed. We had a terrific dinner in the restaurant (not part of Marriott, but licensed out to an outside vendor) and the pool and gym were really first rate. The only thing that would prevent me from returning was the help (or lack of it) we received from the front desk. We asked repeatedly for a quiet room and one without an adjoining room, but were offered 3 rooms: one by an elevator, the second over a construction site and the third with an adjoining room. It was obvious to me that the hotel was relatively empty and although I asked again for another room, I was told that these were the only rooms available. I did not find this to be believable... and although the room by the elevator did not bother us in the end, I could not understand why the front desk was not more accommodating.

• Liked — new clean rooms
  • Disliked — front desk service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple