“Great location, but lacking in a few areas.”

Raleigh Marriott City Center
Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Raleigh
Cary, North Carolina
“Great location, but lacking in a few areas.”
Reviewed 19 December 2010

I stayed with my family recently (with two young children, ages 3 and 6) in this hotel for a brief getaway, had a free Marriott Rewards night to burn and thought it would be fun to stay downtown. We had a great time with the location, the hotel is located at the Convention Center within easy walking distance of several restaurants and right across the street from the AT&T Winterfest Outdoor Ice Skating rink (and a Krispy Kreme!). There is quite a bit to do in the area, with museums, restaurants and the concert hall. The hotel lobby is quite nice and open (with a Starbucks in the lobby and a very nice Christmas tree in December) and so is the bar/restaurant, and the hotel was very clean. However, the pool was extremely cold (too cold to use, probably 60 degrees), the room with two beds only had doubles (too small), and the noise from the hall was quite loud. Overall, a great location and clean hotel, but it was lacking in a few key areas for family travel.

Pros: Great location for restaurants and events, clean, modern rooms.
Cons: Double beds, poor noise insulation to hallway, very cold pool temperature.
Tips: There is free parking nights/weekends in many downtown decks within 1-2 blocks of this hotel, even when events are going on at the concert hall, if you don't want to pay $12 for valet parking.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 December 2010

I booked a room at this hotel for a date night and had a fantastic experience. The staff was wonderful and the suite I stayed in was beautifully appointed. Even though I live in Raleigh, I felt like I was on vacation. We ate in the lounge area and enjoyed a couple of cocktails and didn't feel the need to leave the property at all. Everything we could have wanted was right there. The food was fantastic and service was wonderful. I will definitely excape to this lovely new hotel again. It's in the heart of downtown and has easy access to nightlife, great restaurants, and more. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to get away for the evening without having to worry about driving anywhere.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Hollywood, CA
Reviewed 10 November 2010

This is a convention hotel, that should always be the first tip off. This convention hotel truely represents the underbelly of the nomenclature and is one of the worst excuses of a hotel I have ever endured. A convention hotel in a moderate to large city will 90% of the time always have almost full occupancy, especially when you have such an incredible convention center as the one in Raliegh, really amazing. So, by being part of the convention center and always being full, the customer service and cleanliness are the first things to go.....seen it a million times. This place is no exception. The staff is completely unconcerned with not only simple guest requests, but also addressing more important matters such as soiled bed linen in a "clean room", greasy smudges all over the windows that never got cleaned after 2 requests and odd and extraneous internet charges when I didn't have a computer in the room. Just terrible. Couldn't wait to leave the place. Do yourself a favor and check out other hotels in the area, the city is charming to walk through and is small enough to do so if you are working a convention.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank chamsachamsa
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 October 2010

The service was top notch. My room was very clean and comfortable. The staff was super helpful. Perfect for attending conferences at the Convention Center.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I stayed at this property for three nights this week. Like most Marriott properties, the hotel was clean and the staff was pleasant and professional. One criticism- last night after dinner down the block, my colleague and I went to the hotel bar for a drink. I went to the ladies room off the lobby, and was solicited for money by a homeless woman. Mind you, I am z NYer so little fazes me. I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive, but I don't want or expect thus when I travel, for work or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2010
Front Royal, VA
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel and have no complaints. All staff we encountered were helpful and courteous and everything was CLEAN. That's a biggie for me! The bed was so comfy, I wish I could have taken it home with me. The location was great and we were able to walk to everything we wanted to do. The fitness center was one of the best equipped ones I've seen. Great!! The only negative is that they charge $9.95/day for internet service. I expect most places to offer it free these days.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Vail, Colorado
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at this hotel because we heard the location and facilities were fabulous! Well, we heard right! The hotel is in the heart of everything and you can walk pretty much anywhere you want to go. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are spacious and clean, and the restaurant/bar area is very nice! We had a great weekend and only had three complaints regarding the service: 1) We were confirmed and checked into a double bedded room but when we arrived it was actually a king so we had to go back downstairs and request another room....which really wasn't a huge deal, just annoying. 2) This was the MOST frustrating thing EVER for me! I HATE HATE HATE seeing staff lounging around while on the clock. While the valet was very busy and consistently running cars, I looked over to notice one of the valet's sitting on the park bench on the front drive while his peers were retrieving cars and parking guests. Seriously annoying!!!! 3) When I went down for brunch on Sunday morning the hostess couldn't have seemed MORE annoyed with me and the fact she had to be at work so early...I didn't even make any special requests, just asked for a seat for one! This was pretty shocking since I was paying $20 for a buffet breakfast!!!!!!!

Other than that this location was fabulous and I would definitely recommend it to anyone traveling to the area.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple