“The Hotel Is Filthy But The Staff Are Amazing”

Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown
Ranked #40 of 86 Hotels in Raleigh
Denver, Colorado
“The Hotel Is Filthy But The Staff Are Amazing”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Let me first start off by saying that you should not choose this hotel to stay at, its dirty and filthy and disgusting. I absolutely hated my stay here at this hotel and I would not stay again because of the lack of cleanliness but I like to focus on the positive. Regardless of everything wrong with the rooms, of which there are numerous problems with the rooms, the hotel is staffed by amazing people. The people who helped me were Maury, Rebecca, Terri, and Luke. All of the front desk staff were amazing and really went out of their way, so although the hotel itself is horrible, the staff really did everything they could possibly do to make my stay comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Zach P
BWRaleigh, General Manager at Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay. While it was nice to read that the staff was amazing I was very concerned that overall you did not enjoy your stay. I apologize for for the cleanliness issues that you stated in your review and I have shared your thoughts with our team. We will work very hard to make sure that the Housekeeping staff shines as much as the Front Desk did. I would enjoy the opportunity to find out more details about exact cleanliness issues so I can better address them. I can be reached anytime at the hotel directly or via email.

Michael Dillon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Annapolis, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2013

It was my first time staying at the Best Western in NC and my first time in NC.I was so disappointed at my stay in Best Western.My first night at Best Western someone try to break in your room. Front desk switch us into another room without AC and it was 90 degrees that day. Then they switch us into another room which someone has used the beds and the slinding door had trouble locking.House keeping came up to change the beds and fix the lock on the slinding door.Then the towlet over ran twice in one day and the shower was broken.We called house keeping the first time the towlet ran over they came to fix the towlet but, the second time we called about the towlet over running no one came to fix it.The shower was still broken,cold showers and a broken towlet. This been the worse stay ever.I feel that Best Western was not at their Best and they robb me and my friends out of our weeked trip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

1 Thank Lanika S
BWRaleigh, General Manager at Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Best Western Raleigh North. I want to apologize for the issues that you had during your recent stay. I understand your frustration about your weekend being less than joyous due to the issues. I know that our Assistant General Rebeca spoke to you at check out and adjusted the charges off for your inconvenience. I have personally used your comments to provide additional training to our staff.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Chose it for location and price, just for one night traveling thru the area. It was fine for the money but they really do need to fix the leaking air conditioner! The breakfast was good, the staff was friendly, and access to the highway was perfect. Just update the room!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Plymouth, United States
Reviewed 7 August 2013

VERY LOUD DOORS... The Suite price was reasonable and we had kids with us on this trip. However, no linens, blanket or pillows were available for the pull out sofa! So kids had to use short little towels to cover up. I only 1 blanket on my bed so I couldn't even share. Desk man said he had none to give to us. Computer in lobby was so slow and filled with viruses I couldn't even print out tickets for flight. Breakfast food was hardly available, 1 cereal almost gone and NO MILK is one example. The list goes on and on. Don't stay here!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWRaleigh, General Manager at Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel. I apologize that you did not get the proper blankets and linen. We absolutely have extra pillows,towels and linen and I will address with the Front Desk staff to make sure that our guests never have to go without these necessities. I would love to have the opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail. Please feel free to contact me directly at the Hotel.

Wilmington NC
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We had reserved what was described as a "patio" room on the first floor, but when we arrived, was told that there were no more first floor rooms like that available. We were given another room with a king bed, but its small balcony overlooks the dumpsters (UGH!) & security lighting is on out there, all night. The room itself was clean, with new carpet, but I agree with other reviewers: this is NOT a "3 star" hotel. The staff was pleasant, & the best thing about this hotel is its location, just off of I-440. We were here for 6 days while we visited various sites all throughout the Research Triangle, & it was very quick & easy to get around, especially any site in Raleigh. The breakfast buffet was typical, & OK. There seem to be a lot of utility workers who stay here, & they stand around outside in the parking lot & common areas, smoking & hanging out. Also, some cases of new toilet seats that were delivered to the lobby have been sitting down there during our entire visit. A door leading to maintenance storage stood open, off the lobby, for the entire time we were there. The ice machines seem to break down daily, although there is a friendly maintenance woman who diligently fixes them. So, I think that they're trying, here, but they have a way to go.

Room Tip: I would NOT book a patio room that looks out on to the parking lot. Too much activity out there. I...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank your for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize that you did not like the location of your room near our Housekeeping staging area. We are addressing the issue we have with our Ice Machines. We are looking to add another machine in the very near future. As you stated we do have quite a bit of Utlity workers who stay with us and they tend to fill their coolers each morning with ice. This drains the machines and it takes some time to build up some more ice. Hopefully another machine in the lobby will help alleviate this issue.

CA
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I got stuck here doing a Hotwire deal for a 3 star hotel. It's at best a 1 1/2 star. This is a really sketchy hotel.. strange people around all hours of the night. My room was MUSTY and old and definitely not a "remodel" room. After the first night I found a black widow in the room and also an old roach that had been smashed on the lamp. I called the front desk and the guy apologized and moved me to a much better room (he was very nice and shared my disappointment in the room). But even that room was still MUSTY and old. It was on a floor where all the rooms on one side were smoking, and all the other rooms on the other side were non-smoking. HUH??? It stank on the floor. There are 3 buildings in all and they are all sketchy. My point is, if you are looking for a 3 star hotel, this isn't it. If you like dodgy motels with riff-raff all around you and musty old rooms, this is the one for you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
BWRaleigh, General Manager at Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Best Western Raleigh North Downtown. I am sorry that your stay did not go anywhere near as well as you expected. I was perplexed at your comment about the rooms being old as all 139 of our rooms have been renovated in the last 6 months with new beds,carpet,televisions,furniture,artwork and complete painting. While our hotel is an older property we have done extensive work to modernize the entire property. I would love to have the opportunity to further discuss these issues with you in more detail so I can address where you might have stayed and research the dates you stayed to review our security information on that particular time period.