“The employees are the reason I keep coming back”

Wingate by Wyndham State Arena Raleigh/Cary
Ranked #22 of 84 Hotels in Raleigh
Toms River, NJ
“The employees are the reason I keep coming back”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Cybrina worked all her knowlege to get me the best price for a room. She then went above and beyond and bought me Christmas gifts. She is only 1 of many of the staff that keep me coming back while I work this travel nursing position at a prison in Raleigh.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
or
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Front desk was always efficient and also willing to take extra time to make sure they gave you the right answer.

However although the rooms are large and modern- there were all kinds of little issues. In no particular order:

extremely loud and vibration prone AC, and windows that don't open

Shower curtain could not be fully closed and so the bathroom was always flooding

Climate control didn't have a fan setting, so for people who like to sleep with it on, you were out of luck, it would turn off whenever it hit the target temp

None of the "vending machine areas" have vending machines (even though they require a room key to enter), just ice machines, so you have to go downstairs for sodas etc

In short- although it looks good on the surface, somehow you can tell its a Wyndham property... they just can't get the little things right

There are a couple good restaurants within walking distance (indian and bbq) and also a 24hr McDonalds, other than that you NEED to drive... also airport transport was very fast and helpful

Room Tip: Whole building vibrates when trains go by, even-side of building faces tracks
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank anonymousor
whiteville, nc
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I travel to Raleigh at least once a month and always stay at this hotel. It is very convenient to the interstate, restaurants, and downtown Raleigh. The staff is amazing and the hotel is attractive, with marble countertops in the bathroom and huge rooms. Each room has a microwave and mini-fridge. The beds are comfortable and sparkling clean. There is a nice fitness room with a huge TV and wonderful indoor pool. Most nights there is a manager's reception in the lobby with snacks, beer, and wine. This hotel has all the amenities of a high end hotel but the price is fantastic. I would stay here for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, and I have stayed in several over the past year.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank zarbock1228
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We stayed at the hotel for a night while in town. It was fine. It had a pool (did not use) and a free manager's reception from 5-9pm featuring cocktails and appetizers which we missed. My friend went to the breakfast buffet and said that it was fine with good coffee. The only negatives for the brief time we were actually in the hotel include the train (luckily, it went by during the early evening) and ho-hum service. The door lock did not function properly (it didn't lock when closing the door) and the drain in the bathtub did not drain properly when showering. I told the receptionist upon departure and she made note of it. It was an ok stay for someone passing through for the night.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mishywishy1967
Samantha M, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham State Arena Raleigh/Cary, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time out to review the Wingate by Wyndham State Arena Hotel as feedback such as yours helps us improve our facility. I want to extend my apologies for the experience you had at our facility.

I am sad to hear your dissatisfaction with our property. Please be assured that your drain and lock issue have been addressed. I apologize that your experience here was anything less than expected. We strive for great service and value. Please let me know if I can assist you further in any way. You may email me at Samantha@ncraleighhotel.com or call me on my direct line at 919-809-8520. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future and it is my hope that you will give our property another try in the near future.

Warm regards,

Samantha Myszelow
Director of Sales and Operations
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel well we were in North Carolina to watch the Bruins play the Hurricanes. The hotel was very modern, and smelled great when we walked in. The staff was very friendly, and accomodating. The room was an upgraded king. It was modern, and clean. The room had a big lcd tv, fridge, and microwave. There was a train track that ran parallel to the hotel on the side with even number rooms. We only heard it once in the middle of the night. But it did blow its horn and wake us up.
The pool, fitness center, and business area are great. A big bonus was the free transportation to the RBC center. There is not much around other then a Mcdonalds, but we had a car, so it wasnt a big deal.
I would stay here again if I were in the area.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Nonrev13
MA
Reviewed 16 January 2012

This hotel really met all of my needs while travelling for the weekend. From the moment we stepped inside, we knew we were in a good place. They accommodated our early arrival. We stayed in one of the upgraded King rooms. We had a ton of space and a super comfortable bed. It also had a microwave and an empty fridge. Other reviewers on here complained about the train noise. We stayed on the front side of the building and didn't have much issue with noise. We heard the train during the day but we weren't disturbed during the night. The continental breakfast is pretty good. Eggs, bacon, make your own waffles, pastries, cereal. The hotel has a nice "bar" area, but apparently they only use it for breakfast. It would have been nice to have a drink at the bar in the evening, but I guess they're not there yet.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. The hotel is right off of the highway, making it really easy to find when you're off adventuring.

Room Tip: The king upgrade was totally worth it for the price you pay.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tara3117
Oak Hill, West Virginia
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel this weekend with a large group-my duaghter's all star cheerleading squad. We had over 20 rooms resevered and I cannot say enough good things. All reservations were organized and ready when we arrived. The hotel was extremely clean with a very friendly staff. The pool was clean and heated and the kids had a blast. Breakfast was good. It was easily accessible to other locations-they even had printed up directions to the closest Wal-Mart ready upon request. If we go this competition again, we will definitely use.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends